Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Protecting your windshield (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/protecting-your-windshield-44484.html)

chalex807 02-14-2010 11:17 AM

Protecting your windshield

So I lost my first windshield to a rock with less than a 1000 miles on my new jeep and now I noticed I had several small nics in my second windshield and I have 12k miles now. Insurance was nice enough to cover the first windshield and repairing the nics this time. Is there anything I can do to better protect my windshield? I kinda figure it's just bad luck plus the fact that the roads have been salted so much and it felt like my jeep was a rock magnet last time i drove from ny back to nc along the I-95 corridor. Anyone else have to replace there windshields yet? Anyone else have lots of nics in there from rocks and maybe chunks of road salt or all the other garbage they put on the road from the snow?

Fweaky 02-14-2010 11:35 AM

I have a crack in mine that runs halfway across at 11000 miles. I don't plan on replacing it till I get it inspected in September. I have two teenage girls on my $5500 a year insurance policy. I have replaced 8 windshields on 5 different vehicles in two years! I think they are making them out of that glass that the bottles were made from that the cowboys break over each others heads in the movies! :rolleyes:

mowbizz 02-14-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalex807 (Post 545690)
So I lost my first windshield to a rock with less than a 1000 miles on my new jeep and now I noticed I had several small nics in my second windshield and I have 12k miles now. Insurance was nice enough to cover the first windshield and repairing the nics this time. Is there anything I can do to better protect my windshield? I kinda figure it's just bad luck plus the fact that the roads have been salted so much and it felt like my jeep was a rock magnet last time i drove from ny back to nc along the I-95 corridor. Anyone else have to replace there windshields yet? Anyone else have lots of nics in there from rocks and maybe chunks of road salt or all the other garbage they put on the road from the snow?

Seems as though the more vertical position of these windshields make them much more susceptible to damage. Maybe a bug shield would help deflect some things up and over...? 26k on mine and it looks like a 100k windshield with all the debris pitting on it...nature of the beast! Some nasty paint chips on my hood edge and cowl too...be touching those up when the weather warms a bit...

thaduke2003 02-14-2010 11:57 AM

You could always go Road Warrior, and put steel mesh caging in front of it :) Mark W.

kik 02-14-2010 01:01 PM

It seems that the only vehicle I have that doesn't have any nicks, etc. is the windshield on my 89YJ. Other vehicles that I have (American, Japanese and German) all have nicks in the windshield, all being driven with normal road conditions. I started to notice a change over the past 10 years. The windshields look like they have about 100,000 miles on them after about 1-2 yrs. worth of driving. The materials now must suck or there is a conspiracy with the windshield repair industry (just kidding all you glass repair guys). Help me out glass experts. Why do modern vehicle windshields nick and chip so easily as compared to 10-20 years ago?

JIMBOX 02-14-2010 01:11 PM

:rolleyes: I don't have any idea where you live, but what you call normal, sure ain't normal on the West coast

After 15 trucks,sportscars/jeeps/IH/Ramchargers/volkswagens/motorcycles-ETC

I've had 2 or 3 little gravel chips, outta the windshield

I think it's time for you to move to Ca/Nv :9lame:

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Fweaky 02-14-2010 03:31 PM

I pressed a stick on transponder for the toll road onto my daughters 08 Hyundai windshield and it broke.:eek:

kik 02-14-2010 03:42 PM

I know east coast roads have a suck factor to them, but they can't all be that bad. The manufacturing process must now be different on newer vehicles I guess so if someone's head happens to go through it because they're not wearing a seat belt maybe it won't cause as much damage. That's the only thing I can think of. Oh, maybe it's cheaper to produce windshields that chip, nick or break more easily.

mowbizz 02-14-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 545835)
I know east coast roads have a suck factor to them, but they can't all be that bad. The manufacturing process must now be different on newer vehicles I guess so if someone's head happens to go through it because they're not wearing a seat belt maybe it won't cause as much damage. That's the only thing I can think of. Oh, maybe it's cheaper to produce windshields that chip, nick or break more easily.

Well you hit the nail on the head...East coast roads do SUCK! couple that with overloaded highways debris from too many construction vehicles and winter conditions where the salt is dispensed like free candy and you have the equation for windshield disaster!
I know first hand because in the spring when it's time to roll out the motorcycle the "sandblast effect" is ridiculous! This goes on far past spring and into summer until the roadways have been sufficiently rinsed off by the rains...then you have to deal with the damned BUGS! Arrrrrrrghhhhh!!!!:eek:

Cdn Kawie Girl 12-04-2015 07:37 AM

This sucks...

1 Attachment(s)
I have 1988k on my new 2016 Jeep and got a rock in my windshield. It shattered my windshield so I have to fix it. Even got piece inside on my dash. Could have lost my eyes..Attachment 2663713

If its upside down I apologize my ipad does not let me put it right, even if I rotate the pic.

Jeep1029 12-04-2015 07:49 AM

My 2007 was sold with 10+ stone chips.

The only way to avoid chips is to probably drive in reverse on the highway.

My 2015 caught a slight chip less than a month after I got it, however it's hidden by the wiper.

Heard an impact on the I90 on my way back from New York last weekend, didn't see any chip from that though.

WaltA 12-04-2015 07:55 AM

One way to protect your windshield.

Have friends/family offer their bodies as shields. :D

http://www.adrants.com/images/progre...te_suckers.png

dawhitesJKU 12-04-2015 08:13 AM

Visit your xpel dealer. They have a product to protect your windshield from road hazards (It's a different product but they offered it to me). Just like zagg invisible shield for your electronic accessories.

RubiconSS 12-04-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaltA (Post 22823569)
One way to protect your windshield.

Have friends/family offer their bodies as shields. :D

http://www.adrants.com/images/progre...te_suckers.png

You owe me a Coffee Walt. I just spit this one all over my computer. :lmao:

MikeM181 12-04-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU (Post 22823729)
Visit your xpel dealer. They have a product to protect your windshield from road hazards (It's a different product but they offered it to me). Just like zagg invisible shield for your electronic accessories.

Was thinking the same thing. Kind of like those Zagg tempered glass screen protectors.

TheGreatGrapeApe 12-04-2015 11:54 AM

I have had the "Diamon Fusion" coating on all my Western Wranglers, and the ones out here in Alberta ALL get damaged in the -25 weather when they get rifle-shot by a truck on the Trans-Can through the mountains. The Ontario ones usually are traded in with their original windshields, meanwhile the last Ab one had 3 replacements (under replacement warranty) in 3yrs / 70,000KM/45,000Miles. It's really dependant on what they pour on the road, and the terrain people are leaving dragging gravel back with them. I usually weave like a sidewinder when I exit the trails to do as good a job as possible of clearing the stones out of the tread-blocks before returning to the highway, but not everyone gives a shhhh....ale about it.

My latest Aspen X-edition had 1,500KM (less than 1,000 miles) on it while working at Lake Louise for the World Cup last week @6am in -27 weather, and Buh-Blamm , stone/boulder picked up by a shuttle bus (that was about 50+ft ahead only going 60KMH/below40MPH) hit the top centre of the windhsield near the seam and by the time I got back to the hotel that night crack half-way down up-down the centre of the windshield just to the right of the rear-view mirror. :blackeye

That Diamon stuff works well enough (even acts like Rain-X for about 4-6 month), but it's not bullet-proof, and thankfully it comes with it's own replacement guarantee. I don't know what xpel is like, but it's likely similar, and the biggest benefit would be from keeping chips and such from spreading... but still gonna take some hits in a bad environment for windshields.

I've tried those bug/stone deflectors, and they may help with bugs, but they seem to be of little effect on the mini-boulders rocketing off of truck-tyres on the mountain highways. :nonono:

damndirtydog 12-04-2015 12:43 PM

31 Attachment(s)
The local Technaglass offers a lifetime chip repair for $29 bucks. Most times if you can get in and have the chip repaired ASAP you'll usually save your windshield from a crack. That said mine is pocked with small micro chips that wear out a new set of wiper blades in like 3 months.
Winter is worse when the cities and county mix dirt and gravel in with the salt.

strmanglr 12-04-2015 02:23 PM

My Farmer's agent told me glass breakage would not up my rates.

Last I knew Allstate gave free glass replacement for an extra dollar every six months. I got in an accident and they more than doubled my rates. Goodbye, hello Farmers. First ticket/accident is forgiven.

grizzstang 12-04-2015 03:25 PM

I think if you drive a Wrangler you should just get used to the idea that your winshield will always look like you were involved in a drive by.

The one in my truck is 8 years old and has one small chip, the one in Jeep is 2 1/2 years old and looks like someone emptied the clip into it.

tomthbomb 12-04-2015 03:56 PM

My 1978 CJ-7 has 178k miles, same windshield it came with new.

My 2007 JKU on second w/s, needs another.

My recently traded 2012 JKU with 98k miles had one replaced. Before I did replace it it looked like it had been through several sand storms.

I am in Deep East Texas, not Arizona.

Jwoair23 12-04-2015 04:17 PM

I keep a zero dollar comprehensive deductible through State Farm, well worth it as I have gone through five windshields on various vehicles the past 5-6 years. I just had the first crack in my Wrangler this week and got it replaced. OEM glass so at least it's new and fresh and not pitted anymore!

floridajpr 12-04-2015 04:28 PM

Florida Law! Windshield damage is 100% covered under insurance!

dcgibbons 12-04-2015 04:58 PM

Given a windshield replacement for a JK is only $285, just plan on it being a yearly expense. At least that's what I do up here in the mountains...

Lerker 12-04-2015 06:16 PM

I bought my third Wrangler a few months back. My previous Jeeps had all the problems we're talking about in this thread.

On the test drive for this Jeep, I noticed a sticker on the windshield saying "Perma Plate." I didn't ask what it was, but wish I did.

She's now got ~5K miles with no dings. I did hear that standard POP of a rock hitting the glass driving down the highway a few weeks back. I know that sound and was sure I'd have Safelite at my house in the next couple days, but no! No cracks!

Googled the Perma Plate sticker, and supposedly it's some kind of dealer applied glass protector.

Time will tell if it's any good, but I was quite surprised when I had no damage after that rock hit!

paullgj 12-04-2015 09:40 PM

Bought my 2015 JKU last March. Picked it up from the dealer, took it for a spin on the expressway and - pop! A pebble or something within an hr. of taking delivery. Took it to Safelite immediately and they stopped it from running, although there is a little spider web in there. I did not want a replacement as I didn't want them to break the seal. Been using Rain-X since - and haven't had any chips.

Sportx 12-04-2015 09:44 PM

Windshields used to be something to keep the bugs out of your teeth but now are part of the structure of vehicles. The adhesives used nowadays make them much more firmly attached to the vehicle and less able to absorb the shock of being hit by a stone. To make matters worse nothing mass produced seems to be over engineered anymore resulting in windshields that meet code and nothing more. There are a few magic potions that claim to make your windshield stronger but a stone hitting your windshield at any significant speed is going to break it.

WillyD 12-05-2015 03:07 AM

I replace mine every spring, I will get a chip/crack/bullseye every winter. Right now mine looks like a starfield at night from all the pittings. $0 deduct on comprehensive State Farm also.

Daas 12-05-2015 07:45 AM

On my way home from work Thursday and a rock hits my windshield. Now this rock was big enough for me to see just as it hit the windshield. I get home and inspect, no damage. Friday I'm driving home in the same area and I hear a stone hit windshield. My eyes shift to the left and of course you know what is there.
Funny thing is, this same stretch of road is right outside of the Jeep factory.

SparkieWWJKU/TJ 12-05-2015 07:59 AM

10 Attachment(s)
There is no protecting our windshields. It gets hit and it will keep getting hit. Mine took a hit in the first two weeks of ownership. Had the filler repair done to stop the spread and to try to save the original windshield. A few weeks ago I was driving on the HWY 401 through Toronto on a stretch that had been freshly ground down for resurfacing. Took three hits in about 2 miles. Windshield was done and had to get it replaced. Sent a letter and copy of my repair invoice to our Ministry of Transportation through a claim service on their website and they called me yesterday to say a cheque will be sent for the full amount soon. Now I wished I had opted for the OEM replacement instead of the cheaper non OEM. Oh well still $250 bucks in my pocket.

MarkWhite 12-05-2015 09:11 AM

Simple solution...
Fold down windows and get ready for dentures...
Imagine if we had no windshield at all...lol
Mine still looks great at 87000 on 08 Sahara...I dont know Im sure later today Ill get dinged, but there is also a few steps that you as a driver can do to help.

Dont follow to close to big trucks with large tread patterns, we all have an idea of which one I am talking about if you have been driving for any amount of time...
Or stay so close to the vehicle the roick goes under your ride or hits with less impact...Not recommended.
Also pay attention if you see rocks and debris coming off a vehicle stay back get out from right behind it...Duh...
Stop for coffee or a fill up, and give it time to leave your area...

Dont ride right up anyone's ass on a Dirt road ...even if so called trailing...
Good luck all...