Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How can we remove our soft tops?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-can-we-remove-our-soft-tops-44498.html)

LilScootie 02-14-2010 02:30 PM

How can we remove our soft tops??

My brother and I both have new JK's that came with both the soft top and hard top. We also know we will never use the soft tops and they are getting in the way of putting stuff in the back of the Jeep ( groceries, dogs, etc ). I noticed that there are two screws on each side of the soft top hooking them to the roll bar....my question is, is there a way to remove the soft tops WITHOUT removing the hard top?? We kinda tried it quickly yesterday, but noticed the arms of the soft top touch the hard top when trying to pull it out. I know I know......we might use them someday, but for now they are in the way....thanks for your help !

InfernoGirl 02-14-2010 03:10 PM

You are supposed to remove the soft top as soon as you get home with it. The soft top is installed under the hard top for shipping purposes only. Keeping the soft top under the hard top will eventually rub holes in the soft top. I would think that removal instructions would be in the manual. I would imagine that you would have to remove the hard top to remove the soft top, but I don't know.

kik 02-14-2010 03:35 PM

I don't know how long you've had your JK's, but you must remove the hardtop in order to remove your soft top. They're both together "For shipping purposes only". Failure to remove the soft top could cause damage which is NOT covered under warranty. Chrysler wrote this, not me.

joelbarrett 02-15-2010 08:12 AM

I removed the soft top from the Unlimited I bought in Dec. It took a total of about 15 minutes and it only took that long because I needed to get a neighbor help me lift off the hard top and then put the hard top back on after the soft top was removed. It's very easy (much easier than I expected, especially since this is my first Wrangler). Just follow the directions in the manual and, if you don't have the manual, download it from Jeep.com. All it takes tool-wise is Torx #30 and #40 screwdrivers.

Joel

LilScootie 02-15-2010 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info!! Should I remove the Freedom Top first before trying to lift the back end of the hard top?? Or, will it be ok to leave it connected?

yj-genral 02-15-2010 01:34 PM

you have to remove the front freedom tops before you can lift off the rear portion. but that doesnt take two minutes.

Mikial 01-02-2011 05:10 PM

OK, I have a 2011 Rubi 2 door which I had about a week now. I was wondering if on the two door I could prop the top up about a foot or so by wedging something soft between the hardtop and the bottom close to the back and then take out the softop? I'm trying to make it a one man job if that is possible by not taking the top completly off. Has anyone done it by themselves.

deepbluerubi 01-02-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 545832)
I don't know how long you've had your JK's, but you must remove the hardtop in order to remove your soft top. They're both together "For shipping purposes only". Failure to remove the soft top could cause damage which is NOT covered under warranty. Chrysler wrote this, not me.

Where does it say that? Thanks in advance.

ZOMB1E 01-02-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikial
OK, I have a 2011 Rubi 2 door which I had about a week now. I was wondering if on the two door I could prop the top up about a foot or so by wedging something soft between the hardtop and the bottom close to the back and then take out the softop? I'm trying to make it a one man job if that is possible by not taking the top completly off. Has anyone done it by themselves.

I would recommend you wait for a buddy and just lift the hard top off completely. It will make the removal of the soft top that much easier.

terminator012 01-02-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilScootie (Post 545796)
My brother and I both have new JK's that came with both the soft top and hard top. We also know we will never use the soft tops

Nevermind, I see now.

daggo66 01-02-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepbluerubi (Post 960258)
Where does it say that? Thanks in advance.

In your owner's manual. It's on the DVD they gave you and can also be downloaded at Official Jeep Site - 4x4 SUV, Sport Utility Vehicle.

deepbluerubi 01-02-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 960398)
In your owner's manual. It's on the DVD they gave you and can also be downloaded at Official Jeep Site - 4x4 SUV, Sport Utility Vehicle.

Well, I have something to do next weekend now...............:doh:

Blstravler 01-02-2011 08:25 PM

Funny, had the same question, picked up mine yesterday. Dealer emailed me (just saw the email) they are taking it off for me this week. Any one need a soft top for a Unlimited?

redsoxx1918 01-02-2011 08:33 PM

Why do you refuse to read the manual? It takes less time than posting here and waiting for a response.

AgtSunshine 01-02-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsoxx1918
Why do you refuse to read the manual? It takes less time than posting here and waiting for a response.

Ditto.

Geoff@Bestop 01-03-2011 10:05 AM

LilScootie, deepbluerubi:

Welcome to the world of Wranglers, and to this forum!

One of the key joys of owning a Jeep is the vast array of options available to you. Topless, soft top, hard top, Bikini tops, etc. (and that's just for tops! Wait till you start looking at bumpers and lifts!).

In addition to the advice above, I'd really like to suggest you start experimenting with the "transformer" like options you've got with your Jeep. I think you'll enjoy it more. You may even discover that you really want that soft top after all. Maybe not this time of year, but when summer gets here....

Neil F. 01-03-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blstravler (Post 960832)
Any one need a soft top for a Unlimited?

Sell it on ebay. They are sell for a nice price.