Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   Oh sht bar (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/oh-sht-bar-44577.html)

Rawkon 02-15-2010 04:15 PM

Oh sht bar

A friend and I built/tigged up a new O sht bar for the jeep. the stock one was usless and half broken.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1893396_n.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6557562_n.jpg gotta add some hand grips and get some paint that matches the interior

InfernoGirl 02-15-2010 05:39 PM

I wouldn't want to ride shotgun with you....... :P That thing looks dangerous.

JIMBOX 02-15-2010 05:56 PM

:eek: Me either and if thats an air bag, right above it--"BAM", no place for it to deploy down

Be sure and tell your insurance Co. so they can modify your insurance !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

05GT-O.C.D. 02-15-2010 06:07 PM

Holy broken ribs, punctured lungs and heart damage.

Rawkon 02-15-2010 06:11 PM

who said i had an airbag???

and its hard to get anything broken or punctured when your strapped in with 5points.
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...5915792_n.jpg]

JIMBOX 02-15-2010 06:20 PM

:rolleyes: Well, some actual details and that make your suicide "T"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawkon (Post 547038)

and its hard to get anything broken or punctured when your strapped in with 5points.
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...5915792_n.jpg]

Appropo for your enjoyment !!

30-284 02-15-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawkon (Post 547038)

Your dash!

But then if it's turned off it's a moot point.

Donn

Rawkon 02-15-2010 07:37 PM

even if it wasnt turned off, have you guys actualy seen how it works. the bottom of the airbag cover is very thin and it breaks away. the airbag would still deploy and work fine. the "suicide Bar" haha is the same used in prerunners, UTVs and other off road rigs.....

05GT-O.C.D. 02-15-2010 07:54 PM

There's a difference between deploying and deploying properly.

http://www.jeep.com.au/wrangler/img/...irbag_norm.jpg

I don't know how that bar you rigged would function w/ the airbag, but I'm sure Chrysler didn't test it, and I wouldn't want a loved one in the passenger seat being the test subject.

JIMBOX 02-15-2010 08:07 PM

:rolleyes: Well, I sure hope that you're not basing your off-road equip/mods/safety equip, on "whats been done to pre-runners, utvs and OTHER off-road rigs"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawkon (Post 547135)
even if it wasnt turned off, have you guys actualy seen how it works. the bottom of the airbag cover is very thin and it breaks away. the airbag would still deploy and work fine. the "suicide Bar" haha is the same used in prerunners, UTVs and other off road rigs.....

I personnaly have been thru three air-bag DEPLOYMENTS, one racing at Sears point Raceway and one in my 1993 Corvette LT1, one in my 1991 Ford "edge" 4wd pick-up

These were all Detroits best design air-bag containers and deployment paths !!!

My face and neck were hurt in each case-not bad, but hurt--I would never ride in your MODIFIED jeep, even with a sanctioned 5-point harness system- AND I'm familiar with them

You're just "CRUISING FOR A BRUISING !!

:banghead::banghead: JIMBO

whiteyj 02-15-2010 08:43 PM

Is there even anything solid in the TJ dash for that to tie into? I can see someone grabbing it and jerking it right off the dash along withe the gaping hole to follow. Not to mention the airbag interferences already noted.

Dirt 02-15-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 547176)
:--I would never ride in your MODIFIED jeep, even with a sanctioned 5-point harness system- AND I'm familiar with them

:banghead::banghead: JIMBO

I would! Lets roll! I think that's awesome that you're doing your own work and making your rig your own.
:punk:

Rawkon 02-16-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 547153)
There's a difference between deploying and deploying properly.
I don't know how that bar you rigged would function w/ the airbag, but I'm sure Chrysler didn't test it, and I wouldn't want a loved one in the passenger seat being the test subject.

even if the bag deployed it would have zero effect with someone who was feet away harnessed in. it would prolly just scare the crap out of you. I dont think chrysler designed or tested my jeep for this http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs246...._4599837_n.jpg

or this
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...0_150516_n.jpg

or this
YouTube - kevin fox.mov

Quote:

Well, I sure hope that you're not basing your off-road equip/mods/safety equip, on "whats been done to pre-runners, utvs and OTHER off-road rigs"
that quote just baffles me.... im thinking it didnt come out as it was intended.
caus if you do mean that then 90 percent of what we do to our jeeps for mods shouldnt be done.

Quote:

I personnaly have been thru three air-bag DEPLOYMENTS, one racing at Sears point Raceway and one in my 1993 Corvette LT1, one in my 1991 Ford "edge" 4wd pick-up
your talking apples to oranges. this isnt a daily driver, race way vehicle, or a tin can like a vette. the closest comparison in a old ford ranger "edge". but i still dont get the point other then you've been in a lot of accidents.

if you were familiar with 5 points,roll cages,fab work and design you would know the benefits of what i did and not be scared of it. in roll over scenarios theres now a place for the passenger to grab instead of having your hands and arms going everywhere.

Quote:

Is there even anything solid in the TJ dash for that to tie into? I can see someone grabbing it and jerking it right off the dash along withe the gaping hole to follow. Not to mention the airbag interferences already noted.
yes the hole crossmemeber that the STOCK oh sht bar attatches too. it has 4 mounting points through square aluminum. if you could rip or tear a piece of square with your hands i wanna watch. keep in mind the airbag is off as well.

ccain 02-16-2010 01:50 AM

I don't know what all this freakin' "Air Bag" talk is all about.

Damn, obviously NONE of the folks who posted in disagreement to the t-handle are old enough to remember standing... Yes, I said STANDING in Granddad's station wagon, holding onto the dash while doing 60 down a heavily traveled rural road.
You guys all act like airbags are the end all cure for injuries during a crash. How come I've dug dead guys off of airbags along the road back when I was running with EMS? How come most folks that come into the ER after an airbag deployment have burns and broken thumbs? Airbags only work if you're properly restrained. No airbag in the world will keep you from getting ejected. Since Rawkon has a heavier than factory restraint system, you shouldn't give him any $hit over it. Most of you wheel with Chrysler's piss poor excuse for seatbelts and no one calls you out over it or offers better than thou comments. Give him a break!

Looks good man. I'd probably crack myself in the nuts if I climbed into your rig as clumsy as I am! :D

jcf 02-16-2010 01:54 AM

cain ur' not supposed to sit on the bloody thing :eek::D

jk

Ryark 02-16-2010 02:00 AM

ok, that just gets in the way during "jeep sex"

ccain 02-16-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcf (Post 547457)
cain ur' not supposed to sit on the bloody thing :eek::D

jk

Oh?! No? :confused: Damn. Well that changes things completely! I thought he'd just turned his rig into the "ultimate thrill machine"! :D

jcf 02-16-2010 02:05 AM

Ah :rolleyes: yep' I guess that could be thrilling
untill you hit some bumps :redface:

Jeep sex? wow you would have to be a contortionist

ccain 02-16-2010 02:14 AM

Isn't "Jeep Sex" when you yell "F&%k You" out the window after some A-hole cuts you off?

baja 02-16-2010 02:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't like it cause I hate flat bars.Now if it had maybe a 16 inch rise to it and a clutch lever, throttle and brake lever..........:D

yj-genral 02-16-2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccain (Post 547453)
I don't know what all this freakin' "Air Bag" talk is all about.

Damn, obviously NONE of the folks who posted in disagreement to the t-handle are old enough to remember standing... Yes, I said STANDING in Granddad's station wagon, holding onto the dash while doing 60 down a heavily traveled rural road.
You guys all act like airbags are the end all cure for injuries during a crash. How come I've dug dead guys off of airbags along the road back when I was running with EMS? How come most folks that come into the ER after an airbag deployment have burns and broken thumbs? Airbags only work if you're properly restrained. No airbag in the world will keep you from getting ejected. Since Rawkon has a heavier than factory restraint system, you shouldn't give him any $hit over it. Most of you wheel with Chrysler's piss poor excuse for seatbelts and no one calls you out over it or offers better than thou comments. Give him a break!

Looks good man. I'd probably crack myself in the nuts if I climbed into your rig as clumsy as I am! :D

this is exactly what i was thinking.... i remember playing "command center" with all the AC stuff under the dash (turned upside down, laying in the floorboard) on the drive home from school :D

even if the airbag was turned on and it went off, the only thing that would happen would prolly be rug burns on the top of the passengers hands. those 5 point harnesses arent going to let you go far enough to touch the airbag anyways.

that T bar is a design used in a lot of competition rigs and fun buggies, pretty common. thats where the passenger can hold on instead of hanging on to the roll bar and getting their fingers crushed in a rollover.

only thing i would worry about as a passenger would be hitting my knees on that thing. but im a long legged freak :D

and how would any of our stuff ever make it through all the shite we put it through if we based all our offroad decisions and modifications on what chrysler would do???

JIMBOX 02-16-2010 07:59 AM

:rolleyes: Well, this is the internet and we're just jumping on "an idea" that Rawkon has

It's not that I PoPo the idea of the "T" bar, they can be very beneficial, but

My referal to the Airbag, wasn't for safety, but the full STRAIGHT back force applied, because of the "T" bar space restriction

My reasoning behind the comment of not doing what "prerunners & utvs do, was meant to apply to YOUR circle of friends and had noting to do with MODS, sonny, I've done a few

Another point-I don't see a harness bar behind the seats, for your shoulder straps (5-point) harness--Thats a NO NO-NHRA-NASCAR-NASA

Now your pictures look like a LOT of FUN. please don't get testy or offended, we're just really looking out for --SAFETY

I'm sure you don't think much of my comments so--I'll just fade into the sunset-OK?? http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ot_175x260.jpg

chucks_net 02-16-2010 08:30 AM

nice -apologies for not reading all the flack...

what is it tied to in the dash?

Also, you said that you were familiar with restraints... I have factory belt and am looking to upgrade -could you post pics?

JIMBOX 02-16-2010 09:06 AM

;) Don't want to hijack the thread, but

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucks_net (Post 547579)
nice -apologies for not reading all the flack...

what is it tied to in the dash?

Also, you said that you were familiar with restraints... I have factory belt and am looking to upgrade -could you post pics?

All I have (available) are some pics of my 5-point RCI harness's and Rockhard harness bar

The harness bar is now a requirement for just about any racing and so are certified seats with the required harness slots, for lateral stability (I don't have them)

If you want to upgrade, I'd suggest going to the 4-point harness, not quite as much work setting up and cheaper, but any of them will cost MONEY !!

Good luck

chucks_net 02-16-2010 09:47 AM

thanks!

Rawkon 02-16-2010 10:35 AM

10 degrees below the shoulders.
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs124....39_86499_n.jpg

im still working on the rest of it. the blue tape is what it will be like when finished
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs144...._5144003_n.jpg

chucks_net 02-16-2010 10:40 AM

nice -I may weld something up...

I want to keep mine passenger friendly (back seat) and add harnesses. I could just run a vertical bar to tie the inner shoulder restraints to...

sorry for the hijack

JIMBOX 02-16-2010 10:43 AM

:D:D WONDERFUL=Believe it or not, I'm a little proud of you

It looks like you have got the "STAY SAFE" ingrain !!

GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING-

jcf 02-16-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccain (Post 547469)
Isn't "Jeep Sex" when you yell "F&%k You" out the window after some A-hole cuts you off?

You better be carefull or else Tiny will ban your a$$

Rawkon 02-16-2010 10:52 AM

jimbo feel free to post up as much as you want. i always welcome criticism be it good or bad. no one said you cant have an opinion or idea. my jeep sits in the garage until its time to wheel or go the local store. and 9 times out of 10 its towed to the wheeling spot.

chuck the grab bar is in the stock location where the factory grab bar is bolted into the dash. is it SUPER strong no, but it will keep someones hands from flying around. the bolts are through bolted to the aluminum square that runs almost the legnth of the dash.