Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   front fender crumbled (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/front-fender-crumbled-44686.html)

jvinch76 02-17-2010 11:45 AM

front fender crumbled

got into an accedent not to long ago, it was the other guys fault so he paid up already (got a quote from an auto body and got the estimated amount)

BUT!

my pockets have been quite shallow lately so i was woundering

can i replace the passanger side front fender myself? i dont own a welder...its there a way i could use bolts along the seem onto....idc about apperence since that seem is covered by the hood anyway

by doing it myself i could keep some of the money that i got from the insurance for myself

and for those that might suggest this....no i dont want tube fenders

Schmo 02-17-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvinch76 (Post 548560)
got into an accedent not to long ago, it was the other guys fault so he paid up already (got a quote from an auto body and got the estimated amount)

BUT!

my pockets have been quite shallow lately so i was woundering

can i replace the passanger side front fender myself? i dont own a welder...its there a way i could use bolts along the seem onto....idc about apperence since that seem is covered by the hood anyway

by doing it myself i could keep some of the money that i got from the insurance for myself

and for those that might suggest this....no i dont want tube fenders

First and foremost . . . stop denying it . . . you want tube fenders and you know it deep down!!! :D Yes you can replace the fender yourself and might even get lucky and be able to find someone that went to tube fenders and save yourself some coin . . . a junk yard would be another good source . . . heck you might get really lucky and find one that matches. Look around on the boards and you might find someone selling them. I recall that someone on ROF forum had some for sale a couple months back. You might even post up a thread on a few boards detailing the side and color you are looking for and see if anyone might respond.

distortedtj 02-17-2010 12:00 PM

Just bolts bud. Fold the hood back on the windshield. Have to remove everything bolted to the inside of the fender set aside. Unbolt the fender. Repeat in reverse order.

Bignuke 02-17-2010 12:12 PM

Cheap fender... go to Index2 and go to parts section and he is selling TJ model fenders for about $120... I don't know how much he will charge for paint though, might be able to do yourself but 120$ for a fender... good luck

Tell him Michael Little sent ya ;)

jvinch76 02-17-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Just bolts bud. Fold the hood back on the windshield. Have to remove everything bolted to the inside of the fender set aside. Unbolt the fender. Repeat in reverse order.
OHHHH...

i wasnt planing on removing the inner fender as well...

but cool i think ill do that

distortedtj 02-17-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvinch76 (Post 548606)
OHHHH...

i wasnt planing on removing the inner fender as well...

but cool i think ill do that

It IS one piece.

Hotwire 02-17-2010 05:16 PM

I just bought brand new after market CAPA rated fenders for my TJ $99.00 each. Then I took them to a body shop and they charged me $100.00 per piece to paint them. It's not hard to replace a fender 4 bolts where the fender meets the fire wall, 4 bolts to attach to the grill/radiator support, 4 bolts for the battery tray, 4 bolts for the bracket under the battery tray which is connected to the inner fender. Have a friend help you, shouln't be more thatn a 4 hour job with a ratchet, less time if you have acces to air, or ask what the body shop would charge ya to put it on. Good luck.

kilgoretrout844 02-17-2010 06:51 PM

Make sure you fit the fender before having it painted.

willysmb 02-17-2010 07:49 PM

replaced my fenders last fall,its some wrench turning,but doable by yourself in the driveway.I think I paid like 120 bucks each for brand new fenders.Cost more to paint them.One thing to remember,the fenders dont come with fender flare rivet nuts,just octogon shaped holes,so you need to hit up the hardware store for some rivetnuts or nutcerts or what ever they call them,or you wont be able to put your flares back on.

holes 02-17-2010 08:19 PM

1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler RH Frnt Fender Painted to Match : eBay Motors (item 290401766628 end time Mar-13-10 12:38:48 PST)

Heres a painted to your vehicle fender. Also on eBay there is one for 108 just primered.