Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   my leaking jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-leaking-jeep-44998.html)

diesel0302 02-21-2010 10:12 PM

my leaking jeep

okay i have a 2007 jeep wrangler unlimited it leaks in driver door they replace the driver side seal 6 times had to replace carpet in jeep because of mold just replaced soft top and still leaks i have a chrysler customer care ticket on jeep and now a the district manager of chrysler has to look at the jeep.Does anyone know how to fix this promblem???.If other wranglers have this promblem call chrysler customer care and report it because the jeep wranglers are lemons..

jcf 02-21-2010 11:22 PM

I have a 2007 also with NO leak problems what so ever. I sympathise with you having problems, but just because you do does not make them all lemons. Lets see what the district manager say's, may be that someone has in fact not been replacing the seal.

jbtrojan 02-22-2010 02:33 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my 2009 2 dr. She's leaking on the driver side door and the last road trip I took she was howling pretty bad up in that corner. i'm just getting ready to take mine in and would love to know what the Reg. Man says about yours. keep us posted.

yjkid95 02-22-2010 03:01 AM

I dont know if the newer jeeps have this but i know my yj does on the windshield theres a little rubber piece that seals the top where it meets the windshield in the corner mine was leaking horrible and whistling too i was baffled but then i noticed some light peaking through in the corner searched corner seals on quadratec and found them i ordered them slipped them on my corners alls go a windshield seal to go across the top of the frame bada bing bada boom problem solved

mowbizz 02-22-2010 11:33 AM

Yeah...I have an 07, 2 door that leaks right above the door handles on both sides.
AM waiting for a warmish day to do a "washer fix" where you put some nylon washers under the door surrounds where the tightening knobs go into the roll bar...maybe I'll try it today..? It's 43 outside!

kirakyn 02-23-2010 06:44 PM

I have an 07 Sahara and the passenger door leaks at the top. Just thought it was because I take the doors on and off in the summer time and I messed something up. But now I will take it in and have it looked at.

jcf 02-24-2010 01:02 AM

I feel bad for all of you, I have never had a problem with leaks but after hearing all these people's, seems it is common & I must just be lucky, sorry guys

h2otoo 02-24-2010 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbtrojan (Post 552781)
I'm having a similar problem with my 2009 2 dr. She's leaking on the driver side door and the last road trip I took she was howling pretty bad up in that corner. i'm just getting ready to take mine in and would love to know what the Reg. Man says about yours. keep us posted.

Curious if your 09 is a hard top. From what I have read on this forum it seems the hardtop's problems were pretty much solved after 07. Mine is an 09, and never leaked. I stopped using those long screws thingys along time ago, leave them in the glove box. Still dry.

Bob:wavey:

canoeman 02-24-2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2otoo (Post 554542)
I stopped using those long screws thingys along time ago, leave them in the glove box. Still dry.

Bob:wavey:

New to the Jeeps. What are the long screw thingys you are talking about. Mine is a 08 with a hard top that I found a wet spot in the back right side by the hinge, it is in now and they are replacing all the weather strip on the hard top. Seems to be a 2 day job. But would still like to know what those screws are.

h2otoo 02-24-2010 07:06 AM

^The front panels come off with the front clamp, a couple of handles to turn to lock/unlock in place, and two long screws with large plastic handles that screw on the rear of the panels. Those are the thingys I mentioned. Yours is leaking at the hinge? You mean at the rear window?

Bob

JIMBOX 02-24-2010 08:12 AM

:D I have an '08 JK and I've had my top off twice (last summer) and "T" tops off 10/15 times--no leak anywhere

I've had the front doors off and also the hinges--no leak

There are certain installation sequences you have to follow, to insure "seal compliance" for tops/tailgates/doors

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

mowbizz 02-24-2010 09:23 AM

Update!
It's raining cats and dogs today so I thought I'd bring my Jeep to the dealer nearby, and let them play with the leaky top...I left it with them and will report back when I pick it up.

When I walked in the 3 (yes 3!!) service writers were all standing there twiddling their thumbs and a quick glance into the garage bay area yielded a slew of techs just twiddling themselves and doing nothing.

I told them the problem (leaking on both sides above the door handles) and if they knew about this problem (or leaky soft tops in general)

I got 3 "doe in the headlights" looks :rofl::rofl: from them and they all stammered/stuttered that they "really didn't have any problems with leaking soft tops"

I basically rolled my eyes and said "well okay, can you take a look at it?"
I also told them about the "washer fix" and asked if they'd heard of it...(doe in the headlights again) So I left my bag of washers with them and asked them to put them in while the top was open anyway...

We'll see what happens...sigh...maybe I'll get lucky and they'll actually stop the leaks...! :D

mowbizz 02-24-2010 11:18 AM

Update 1: Just got a call from the service guy and he said they are ordering new "seals" whether he means weather seals or not i don't know...they will be here in the morning and they are keeping my Jeep indoors "nice and dry" overnight...tomorrow will tell...:D

aboutmrburns 02-24-2010 04:57 PM

Stop raining!

I read this thread earlier today and thought to myself that I was lucky that my Jeep doesn't leak...

Then I got in my Jeep after work and looked down to find my feet in 2 inches of water on the driver side floor...

I have a 2007 Unlimited X with a hard top.

How common is this?

dougncrew 02-24-2010 05:26 PM

You mean like this?

[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ugnpj/DD-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ugnpj/PD-1.jpg[/IMG]

dougncrew 02-24-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowbizz (Post 554638)
Update!
It's raining cats and dogs today so I thought I'd bring my Jeep to the dealer nearby, and let them play with the leaky top...I left it with them and will report back when I pick it up.

When I walked in the 3 (yes 3!!) service writers were all standing there twiddling their thumbs and a quick glance into the garage bay area yielded a slew of techs just twiddling themselves and doing nothing.

I told them the problem (leaking on both sides above the door handles) and if they knew about this problem (or leaky soft tops in general)

I got 3 "doe in the headlights" looks :rofl::rofl: from them and they all stammered/stuttered that they "really didn't have any problems with leaking soft tops"

I basically rolled my eyes and said "well okay, can you take a look at it?"
I also told them about the "washer fix" and asked if they'd heard of it...(doe in the headlights again) So I left my bag of washers with them and asked them to put them in while the top was open anyway...

We'll see what happens...sigh...maybe I'll get lucky and they'll actually stop the leaks...! :D

Washer fix?:confused:

dougncrew 02-24-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougncrew (Post 554981)
Washer fix?:confused:

Never mind I read the whole thing...:banghead: I will have to try that.

emica 02-24-2010 07:03 PM

09 unlimited with dual tops and no leaks anywhere. they should be able to fix it with new seals.

mowbizz 02-24-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougncrew (Post 554980)

My leak is at that location but not nearly as bad! I see maybe a few drops in about a 2-3 inch area but it does splash off that plastic boss that houses the latch and lands on the floor. That is a serious leak...! :eek:

mowbizz 02-25-2010 02:21 PM

Well, I got the call today saying "you're all set" and even though I wanted to believe in their problem solving and mechanical abilities with a leaking soft top, I was extremely doubtful that they would solve this on the first try...and I was right.
I picked up the Jeep (there was no charge for the work they did, which was replace the door seals)
The rain was very light (just barely misting) and there were no "drops" in the familiar spot on the door handles...I ran around for an hour doing errands and finally the skies opened up and the dripping commenced...:mad:

This is what I expected so I wasn't really mad as they at least did "something"??

When I got home I got a flashlight and while sitting in the Jeep put the light on the spot where the drips were coming from. It has nothing to do with the door seals but rather the steady drip (about one every 15 seconds) is coming from under the door surround...!
I mentioned that I had explained the "washer fix" to them and asked if they could put them in while (i was assunimg) they had the top partially down. NOT!:banghead:
My bag of washers was in the cup holder, unused.
I called them back and got "another" (of course) service writer (they said the guy I dealt with wasn't there) and told him it was still leaking exactly the same as before, and said any other ideas? The guy replied "well we'll make some adjustments to the doors"
I said the leak had nothing to do with the door seals and the drip was coming from elsewhere (under the surround) whereupon he said "oh?"
That tells me they never even tried to find the path of the water and they just threw the weather seals at the problem...:banghead:

All to be expected though...what else is new?
The reason he gave for not putting the washers in place was that they would not be paid under warranty for doing that, which makes sense...
I will install the washers myself next sunny day. :rolleyes:

kirakyn 02-25-2010 08:06 PM

I have a question...does it really matter if my doors leak? My passenger front door on my 4dr 07 Sahara leak like a sieve in the rain or snow and I just put a towel on the seat or on the floor. But will this cause some sort of damage to my Jeep? If so I will take it to the dealership tomorrow on my day off, if not I'm ok with a towel and a drippy door. :)

mowbizz 02-25-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirakyn (Post 555991)
I have a question...does it really matter if my doors leak? My passenger front door on my 4dr 07 Sahara leak like a sieve in the rain or snow and I just put a towel on the seat or on the floor. But will this cause some sort of damage to my Jeep? If so I will take it to the dealership tomorrow on my day off, if not I'm ok with a towel and a drippy door. :)

Well the only thing that bothers me is the wet carpet...eventually, when warmer weather arrives wet carpets will cause mold underneath, premature rust, etc.
I am taking out the carpets in the driver/passenger foot wells and replacing with MOPAR rubber floor liners which will not hold moisture. Other than that a little leak doesn't really bother me. I have no faith that a dealer will fix this either...It seems they just throw one fix after the other at the problem without even looking for a root cause which might be something very simple.

canoeman 02-26-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2otoo (Post 554552)
^The front panels come off with the front clamp, a couple of handles to turn to lock/unlock in place, and two long screws with large plastic handles that screw on the rear of the panels. Those are the thingys I mentioned. Yours is leaking at the hinge? You mean at the rear window?

Bob

Yes, mine was leaking by the rear window. They just replaced the gaskets on the 2 front tops. It stayed in for 1 day and then I picked it up. The cabin is air tight, I mean try to close the door and there was alot of pressure built up inside. It is raining so it was a good test. Left it out in the driveway for 5 hours, then ran to the dentist. After about 15 minutes of drive I hear this what sounds like hail on the roof. Well it is not hailing out so it must be something they just fixed letting go. Still no leaks. I leave the dentist, get in the Jeep and close the door. The pressure must have escaped through the roof they just fixed cause a ton of water came though above the inside roof bar. Brought it back down and they have it until someone can work on it Monday. I don't know what else can be done. I think it might just need the time to cure the glue over the weekend and it might be fine. Let's hope that does it.

tgates 02-26-2010 01:16 PM

Leaks

I have a 09 2dr hardtop rubicon, leaks both sides front and across back. Just replaced all around last week, so far no leaks, well been mostly snow...so.

I did ask dealership if these were the same OEM factory seals, he checked said looked like fifth revision of seals since factory. We shall see

OSUJEEPER 03-12-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougncrew (Post 554980)

I just ofund this happning on my 07X Has anyone founda way to explain this to a dealer, and how hoed the washer fix do anything to help this? It's poring out right now in Tampa, I would like to get this resolved on my lunch if I can.
Thanks

tgates 03-12-2010 07:50 AM

leaking 09 jk 2dr

Well, it's been a couple of weeks now since front freedom top seal replacement and seal replacements around rear tailgate and window. It rained last night and the carpet at the right rear is wet again, looks like the new improved seals, didn't seal, back to the dealer.

mowbizz 03-12-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSUJEEPER (Post 569418)
I just ofund this happning on my 07X Has anyone founda way to explain this to a dealer, and how hoed the washer fix do anything to help this? It's poring out right now in Tampa, I would like to get this resolved on my lunch if I can.
Thanks

Update: The washer fix did not work. I still have leaks in the same places...I kind of knew they wouldn't because of the fact that the leak is not "door associated"...it's more "header gasket/seal/A-pillar/mucket" associated. The washer fix is supposed to raise the door surround slightly, causing a little tighter seal at the top of the door where it meets the surround. No go...
When the weather warms up more (like constant 60's and 70's) I will make an attempt to find the exact path of the water and fix it (or die trying) myself.
It's a very poor system but nonetheless, not a deal breaker for me. I now have the MOPAR rubber floor liners in place so no more wet carpets...I can deal with the small leak issue until I correct it by trail and error (rather than let the "stealership" do it)
Good luck out there to all the drip dodgers...:D :rofl:

OSUJEEPER 03-12-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowbizz (Post 569700)
Good luck out there to all the drip dodgers...:D :rofl:

LAMO:rofl::rofl::rofl:
It has been poring all day, I have been sitting here at work staring out my window at my jeep Just dreading how much water is going to be in there when I get off. I meen we must of had over 2 in of rain here today.this is not going to be good.

dj_chizzle 03-12-2010 02:38 PM

so apparently driving with my safari top in the rain and owning a JK will give me the same amount of water in the cabin :rofl:

tgates 03-14-2010 01:39 PM

leaking freedom top

I notice all the threads about leaking jeeps in the front.
Am I the only one having problems with the rear glass and tailgate?
Still leaking, probably worse since the dealer replaced the seals. I found a TSB on JK-Forum about leaking freedom top, but it does not mention the back