Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   sway bar removal (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/sway-bar-removal-45082.html)

turk 02-22-2010 09:08 PM

sway bar removal

do you need to remove the sway bar(im pretty sure its the sway bay) to mount a winch on the bumper?

s3nt3nc3d 02-22-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turk (Post 553578)
do you need to remove the sway bar(im pretty sure its the sway bay) to mount a winch on the bumper?

Nope...though I think I've read that some winch plates require a modified sway bar or something like that. I've kinda wondered the same thing myself...but I've seen winch plates that specifically say nothing needs to be done with the sway bar in order to use that plate.

03 RUBI 02-22-2010 11:42 PM

If you're using just a regular (flat type) winch plate with a "stock type" bumper the anti-sway bar fits between the winch plate and grille. PM me and I'll send you a picture if you need clarification.

turk 02-23-2010 12:16 AM

yeah i decided to just mod my stock bumper and when i took it all apart i noticed the sway bar is sticking out where the plate would go and thought it was a major design flaw

blake02tj 06-19-2011 02:51 PM

Front sway bar removal

So I removed the bottom bolt on the front sway bar link; and when I tried to remove the top bolt the nut was turning while the bolt stayed still but yet it did not come loose or tighten..... Any help?

Jerry Bransford 06-19-2011 02:54 PM

To disconnect the antiswaybar for offroading (don't completely remove it), you don't remove the nut on top of the antiswaybar's link, the antiswaybar's link stays connected to the antiswaybar when the antiswaybar is disconnected for offroading. Simply bungee cord or zip tie the antiswaybar up and out of the way until you're done offroading. There is a good location to secure it to, the upper spring bucket has a small gap between where it is welded to the frame that is ideal for a zip tie or bungee cord to connect to.

blake02tj 06-19-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1316810)
To disconnect the antiswaybar for offroading (don't completely remove it), you don't remove the nut on top of the antiswaybar's link, the antiswaybar's link stays connected to the antiswaybar when the antiswaybar is disconnected for offroading. Simply bungee cord or zip tie the antiswaybar up and out of the way until you're done offroading. There is a good location to secure it to, the upper spring bucket has a small gap between where it is welded to the frame that is ideal for a zip tie or bungee cord to connect to.

Its the sway bar link and to replace it with jks quick disco's It needs to be fully removed... And i still don't get how it is physically possible for the nut to be turning while the bolt stays in the same position (not spinning with the nut)

blake02tj 06-19-2011 07:46 PM

Without it coming loose or becoming tightened

Shelby427 06-19-2011 08:21 PM

Only way that would happen is if the nut is stripped on the threads.

Wheel2Work 06-20-2011 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turk (Post 553736)
yeah i decided to just mod my stock bumper and when i took it all apart i noticed the sway bar is sticking out where the plate would go and thought it was a major design flaw

Using most winch plates, you utilize the stock bolt positions for the upper bumper bolts. Plenty of clearance when I installed the raised Smittybilt winch plate on mine.

blake02tj 06-20-2011 05:39 PM

But then the nut could slip a little bit but it doesn't move at ALL...the part of the bolt that sticks out of the top is perfectly threaded so I'm not sure how I would be able to remove it in order to replace it with jks discos

Jerry Bransford 06-20-2011 07:44 PM

Cut it off with a hacksaw or sawzall, cut right through the nut. Or split the nut with a nut-splitter. Would take all of 2-3 minutes.

blake02tj 06-21-2011 08:38 PM

Yea. I was gonna go down to harbor freight and get it. Preciate it man