Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Trying to make TJ lighter (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/trying-to-make-tj-lighter-45150.html)

Stefan 02-24-2010 12:15 AM

Trying to make TJ lighter

So I'm going for a better weight to power ratio in my TJ
I inventoried the tools i keep with me at all times and cut out the ones that i don't need and replaced them with lightweight multi-tools.
I'm taking the back seat out (I'll put it back in as needed...it only takes like 2 minutes)
I cleaned out every little other thing i keep in there (sunscreen/beach stuff/surf stuff)

I'm gonna try to look into a lighter hood

I found some new fenders from a new company that makes super lightweight flat fenders...modernclassicenterprises.com , I'm going to start selling products for them and a few other companies. (e-mail me if you're interested in those flat fenders aframstjarnan@hotmail.com)

anyone have any input on the weight issue?
(I know TJ's are heavy machines of war, but it couldn't hurt to try to keep it light)

:punk:

jacob7956 02-24-2010 12:23 AM

Only thing I could think of that would make it noticibly lighter would be to sell it

Stefan 02-24-2010 12:26 AM

Haha yeah i s'pose that would.

But i intend to keep it til I die. My families always had jeeps.

I'm mainly just tryin to make it as efficient a machine as possible without making it look different. Purely performance work

is that fender up front bent on your TJ in that pic ?

Bignuke 02-24-2010 01:47 AM

If you have a hardtop, go soft top

and if you have full doors go half doors.

Do you have a winch/spare tire carrier if so take em off until you need em? Idk just making suggestions

Vaultzz 02-24-2010 02:26 AM

Instead of keeping the regular soft top you could get one that doesn't use its own hardware (such as the viking fast back top). You could also get full soft doors which weigh next to nothing

30-284 02-24-2010 08:28 AM

Check out Savvy Off-Road They can make you many lbs. lighter.

Donn

ps49556n 02-24-2010 10:07 AM

the savvy aluminium products will definitely save a couple of pounds at a high $$$ cost...but shedding pounds is always costly...I would look into smaller tires and some aluminum wheels as well.

Stefan 02-24-2010 10:15 AM

i already have the viking fastback top
and the alloy wheels.
I mean, I have a rather heavy bumper and a Kongo Cage rack up top.
I'm just trying to make up for that weight (because those weights are necessary for what I do)

mrcarcrazy 02-24-2010 10:51 AM

Rollbars are for sissy's. trash that. replace the main tub with an aluminum one, and get a smaller fuel cell instead of the unnecessarily large fuel tank.

replace the engine with a turbocharged aluminum block 4 cyl.

- in all honesty I think you're pissing upstream. to have any impact on hp/wt ratio you'll have to take a significant amount of weight out.

Its much easier to start with a lightweight object and add power than it is to start with a tank and decrease weight.

whiteyj 02-24-2010 10:54 AM

Sell the wrangler and buy a suzuki samari.:banghead:

jwm1986 02-24-2010 11:04 AM

You could get some of these... Some of the lightest wheels ever made! :cool:

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/wp-co...iber-wheel.jpg

Jerry Bransford 02-24-2010 11:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm lightening my TJ by swapping aluminum parts for steel in a few areas. Savvy Offroad is in the process of coming out with a line of 6061 T-6 aluminum (TOUGH & STRONG!!) replacement parts for TJs. I've already swapped my steel corner guards, rocker guards, & gas tank skidplate for their products. The only steel they use is on the outer rail of their two-piece rocker guards with the inner part being aluminum. The next swap for me will be their front bumper that has a built-in winch mount.

This stuff is proven on the rocks in Johnson Valley & I've hit my aluminum gas tank skidplate so hard many times that I still can't believe I haven't dented it.

Savvy Off-Road

Geoff@Bestop 02-24-2010 02:15 PM

Go on a diet! :-)

I've always thought that unsprung weight - tires and wheel, axles, everything below the springs - is the real killer weight. Which, for a Jeep is a LOT of weight.

Jerry Bransford 02-24-2010 02:17 PM

Put four fat people into a Jeep to see how their sprung weight affects it on the street, trail, handling, etc.. :p

Bobthegod 02-24-2010 03:30 PM

If your TJ weights 3900 lbs and has 4.0 Six at 180 Horsepower you get 21 lbs per horsepower to move it.

So if you got a Dodge Challenger with a 5.7 Hemi. That amounts to 3623 lbs and 375 horsepower equates to 9.6 lbs per horsepower....freakin fast.

So 100 - 200 lbs taken off doesn't make a big differance.

Weight yours then calculate and see where you go....or not go :)

Bobthegod 02-24-2010 03:32 PM

That's why you'll see these guys here swapping engines for bigger horsepower. As a matter of fact most of them are going with the HEMI......imagine that!

Jerry Bransford 02-24-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobthegod (Post 554844)
So 100 - 200 lbs taken off doesn't make a big differance.

That's a naive thing to say. 100-200 lbs. makes a noticeable difference and if I can notice it on the trails & street, which I definitely (!) can, anyone can. But for those who don't think they can notice a difference, swapping aluminum for steel or other forms of lightening their Jeeps isn't going to be attractive to them. But for those who can see the benefits, they flock to ways to make their Jeeps lighter... especially those who frequent the very toughest 5+ rated trails or those who compete. They've already seen the light.

It's a big enough deal that more and more highly respected Jeep parts providers like GenRight, AEV, Savvy, etc. are bringing out new aluminum designs to replace heavier steel parts.

Stefan 02-24-2010 05:58 PM

thanks for the ideas on parts Jerry,
I didn't think much about the gas tank skid weighing much, but in the scheme of things...It all adds up

jacob7956 02-24-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 554459)
Haha yeah i s'pose that would.

But i intend to keep it til I die. My families always had jeeps.

I'm mainly just tryin to make it as efficient a machine as possible without making it look different. Purely performance work

is that fender up front bent on your TJ in that pic ?

Hey nice eye! I'm surprised nobody has noticed that yet. The previous owner hit something in his garage when it was brand new

Stefan 02-24-2010 06:47 PM

You can use a jack to flatten it out somewhat (if you feel the need to)

an old lady nailed me and that's what mine looks like. It's actually amazing considering her car was DESTROYED

03 RUBI 02-24-2010 08:52 PM

The fender flare, not the fender(!) can be straightened out somewhat by using a heat gun on it.

Stefan 02-24-2010 10:52 PM

well the thing holding the fender flare in that position is the tiny bend in the steel fender. No amount of massaging will work that part out of the plastic.

Bobthegod 03-01-2010 04:10 PM

People people.....Taking off 100-200 lbs does not make a differance when measuring speed. Im sorry I was talkinig about weight vs horsepower using a 1/4 mile test for speed. Weight distribution when climbing is another thing altogether. I used to test vehicles for fuel economy switching from steel to aluminum and in some cases kevlar. The other major factor is who's driving and their habits + terrain + environment + type of fuel (octane) smog requirments etc. MANY FACTORS all of which have an impact. One person may get a noticable differance while the same vehicle with another driver make get something totally differant. Those who want more speed and ponies have gone to another bigger engine. I for one would love to have a HEMI but I got a 2.5 and I happy with it. I only get 17 mpg combined but hey it's a jeep. Not a jet.

Stefan 03-02-2010 10:43 PM

I guess I have to make this more specific...

"Suggestions as to the projects of making a 1997 jeep TJ sport Lighter"
No arguments, or "fact" swapping, Just suggestions as to how to go about making a TJ lighter.
and...Yes, Less weight= Better performance...(not just within the engine, but in other areas as well)

I reffer you to some of Jerry's posts

by the way, Jerry, your reply helped answer some of these people's questions as to why I want the TJ lighter...thanks man

compshooter 03-03-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy (Post 554663)
get a smaller fuel cell instead of the unnecessarily large fuel tank.

Or just don't fill up the tank, just fill halfway. Roughly 8 pounds per gallon....

Stefan 03-03-2010 12:08 AM

damnnnn 8 pounds per gallon

is that a definite number for the weight of petrol?

Stefan 03-03-2010 12:09 AM

Now that I think about it, That does seem perfectly right...when I carry my 5 gal jerry can, that's about how much weight I would compare it to a 35-40 lb curling weight

s3nt3nc3d 03-03-2010 12:57 AM

It's pretty close to 8 lbs/gallon

I think water weighs just under 8 lbs/gallon...not sure whether gas would be heavier or lighter, but it'd be in the ballpark.

Stefan 03-03-2010 01:13 AM

Hey Jerry,
How much did that Savvy petrol tank skid run?
and
did it alleviate much weight?

terrible2 03-03-2010 01:45 AM

Gas should be lighter which is why they float on top including the hydrophobic properties. Though I always assumed Gasoline to be heavier