Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Preventing Possible Electrical Problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/preventing-possible-electrical-problems-45449.html)

Atthehop 02-28-2010 08:33 AM

Preventing Possible Electrical Problems

Not sure if everyone agrees with me but after reading about so many Heater/AC blower problems I wanted to give my 2 cents.

Having been in the automotive business for over 40 years I was taught by some oldtimers, I imagine they are dead now, that you should always turn off all electrical systems, radio, heater, etc., before shutting off the vehicle. The electrical surge when starting up the vehicle causes undue stress on those components if left on. Knock on wood, all my vehicles have not experienced problems in these areas and I taught my 4 kids to do the same and their vehicles are going strong.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for listening to my fatherly advice.

ps49556n 02-28-2010 11:28 AM

I always do this with the blower control, windshield controls and any lights but besides that what else can you manualy turn off? My radio is aftermarket that has no physical power switch.

03 RUBI 02-28-2010 06:39 PM

Modern day cars are protected from this because of all the computer driven systems that would be adversely affected by any electrical surges.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 03-01-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 557829)
Not sure if everyone agrees with me but after reading about so many Heater/AC blower problems I wanted to give my 2 cents.

Having been in the automotive business for over 40 years I was taught by some oldtimers, I imagine they are dead now, that you should always turn off all electrical systems, radio, heater, etc., before shutting off the vehicle. The electrical surge when starting up the vehicle causes undue stress on those components if left on. Knock on wood, all my vehicles have not experienced problems in these areas and I taught my 4 kids to do the same and their vehicles are going strong.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for listening to my fatherly advice.

I've always been of the same opinion Jack.
However, I asked this same question a while back,
and all the responses I received said otherwise.
Since then, I've left my vent/heat/ac controls in the on position.
I haven't had a problem yet...but haven't been doing it for a very long time either.

The one thing that I want to point out is:
Look at all the security systems with remote start and how they're meant to use the defrost/ac function.
If it was horrible for the vehicle, I'm not sure they'd have this feature.
But I really don't know for certain.

If anyone has any documentation on this subject,
I'm sure there are a few of us that would really like to see it. :)

rrich 03-01-2010 01:54 AM

Along the same lines -

I knew several old timers that swore:

NEVER leave a bulb socket without a bulb in it - even if it's burned out. Electricity runs out and can run your battery down.

litespeed 03-01-2010 02:31 AM

I make sure everything is off so that I'm giving my battery less extra work to do when starting.My battery is old and my car sits out in cold weather.

Kilroy 03-01-2010 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03 RUBI (Post 558269)
Modern day cars are protected from this because of all the computer driven systems that would be adversely affected by any electrical surges.

I think the protection is in each microcontroller equipped device, not at the source of the problem. Inductive devices like starter motors discharge a large spike of energy when they are turned off.