Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   YJ Tech Forum (
-   -   Suspension lift questions (

Rebuilt 03-01-2010 12:15 AM

Suspension lift questions
OK, I don't know which suspension lift to buy. Either I go the Skyjacker 4" lift with nitro shocks or Rough Country 4" lift with hydro shocks. This is my first suspension lift I will be purchasing so I want to be sure I choose a good quality/brand. Which would you guys recommend or if you recommend another I would appreciate the feedback.

87 yj 6 cyl manual 4.2L

Also what do you guys think about adding a 1" shackle lift to the front and rear?

My Yj!

turdhurdler 03-01-2010 09:53 PM

I have the 4" Rough Country lift and love it. Installed it in one day with the help of a friend. I did remove the front and rear track bars to allow a smoother ride. I don't have any experience with Sky Jacker, but I think there are some postings in the "Lift Review" thread at the tope of this section.

by the way, that is a clean looking Jeep.

1kooljeep 03-01-2010 10:23 PM

I have heard many story's over the years about Skyjacker not backing there leaf springs. Rough Country seams to have really good customer support. But this is based on nothing more than my 15 years of observation.

Rebuilt 03-01-2010 11:39 PM

Thanks guys! I feel more confident. Just one last question, why is Rough Country so much cheaper than Sky Jacker?

turdhurdler 03-02-2010 12:25 AM

Not sure why the difference in price. I just looked at the Skyjacker site and their standard kit does not come with a drop pitman arm, transfer case drop or brake relocation tabs. For the money, I recommend going for the RC. The steel in the springs cannot be that much better if any.

kotiktj 03-02-2010 01:43 PM

hey not to steal the thread but i was thinking about a 4 in rough country as well and i was wondering if when i buy the kit do i need to buy anything else or will that be all i need do i need to upgrade other stuff as well?

turdhurdler 03-02-2010 02:33 PM

The 4" kit comes complete with everything you will need. Some people choose to also install a SYE, but so far I have not since I have no driveline vibrations.