Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (
-   -   Can you remove the plastic fenders??? (

militarykid1234 03-02-2010 09:23 PM

Can you remove the plastic fenders???
My dad keeps saying tis illegal to do but I really think it isnt cuz I have seen a few jeeps with them off and I want them off to get my jeep more muddy and they just get in the way :( so is it legal to take them off or no? Also if this helps i live in NJ

NAVYCHIEF 03-02-2010 09:28 PM

depends on state and local laws. check with nj state police and local cops.

militarykid1234 03-02-2010 09:31 PM

Alright thanks

Lando 03-02-2010 09:32 PM

I've read some other forums and according to them, in New Jersey, your tire tread cannot stick out past the fender flares. The sidewall is allowed to stick out a bit, but the actual tread must stay under. Some states allow 1" past. Others don't allow adding wider flares. The law changes wherever you go. Kinda dumb in my opinion. So, to answer your question: in New Jersey, it doesn't look like you're allowed to take your flares off. Unless you can somehow get your tread under the tub which we all know isn't happening. Sorry. Maybe someone else on here knows more.

militarykid1234 03-02-2010 09:45 PM

k figured i couldnt but thanks

Unlimited 03-02-2010 09:51 PM

Try this: Take your fenders off, but leave them in the garage. If you get a fix-it ticket from a local LEO, you can pretty much guess that it is illegal in your state. Pay the fifteen bucks and put your fenders back on.... lesson learned.

turk 03-03-2010 12:02 AM

thats the first thing i did was take them off in fl cops wave to me. maybe because i got search and rescue written on the side