Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2007 Wrangler with a mysterious oil leak (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2007-wrangler-with-a-mysterious-oil-leak-45676.html)

jmacjeep07 03-03-2010 08:01 AM

2007 Wrangler with a mysterious oil leak

Hello, I have a question about an mysterious oil leak.

I recently purchased a 2007 preowned wrangler sahara, about three weeks after purchasing it I noticed that it leaks oil. I have found that it will drip one to two drops every few hours. (So when I have it parked in the garage, I will wake up to 2-3 new drops every morning.) The drops are located almost directly under the motor.

I have brought it to the dealership twice to see if they could locate the leak (both times they were unsuccessful, they even said they added a UV dye to help try locate it)

I am curious if anyone has any idea where I can look or tell the dealer where to start to look? Or if you have a trick to help locate this type of problem leak.

Thank you

j.

OSUJEEPER 03-03-2010 08:18 AM

Follow the path of the oil slick(drip Line) to it's highest point. Thats about all I can tell you without actually looking at it.

Hilldweller 03-03-2010 08:23 AM

Motor oil? Gear oil? Trans fluid? Transfer case? Maybe even coolant?

If you have a mystery leak, thoroughly clean the suspect area, dry it, spray it down with some powdery athlete's foot spray; look for the dark spot in the morning.
I've used this method on motorcycle rebuilds for years...

priell3 03-03-2010 08:27 AM

Get them to check this. I had this work done on my 2007 JK.
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource TSB - 3.8L Engine Oil Seepage Due To Front Timing Cover Surface Porosity Print out the TSB and take it with you.

jmacjeep07 03-03-2010 08:46 AM

re: Oil leak

Thank you all for your responses.

I will give them a shot.

j.

JIMBOX 03-03-2010 09:31 AM

:D I don't know about '07, but my '08 Rubi did the same (similar) ONE time after some pretty good off-roading

Mine was on the drivers side about a foot back from the front of the engine !!

I found the front diff had been overfilled and it would seep out the top of the vent tube and find its way to the garage floor, about a foot behind the diff

Did that for about a month--then NO MORE

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

jmacjeep07 03-04-2010 09:36 AM

Thank you for the responses.

I cleaned the area and powdered it last night.
I did not seeing any new oil this morning.

Is it normal to have the any oil seeping (or appear "wet") near the under side of the engine (above the oil pan) I think it is the lower gasket to the engine block (I am not that mechanically inclined)

I may just take it to the dealer this weekend and show them the article I printed up.

Hilldweller 03-04-2010 11:47 AM

Any evidence that this thing ever over-heated? Any valve ticking?

jmacjeep07 03-04-2010 12:07 PM

Not over heating (I actually have not heard the fan come on yet; it has been very cold here as of late)

I would say a little valve tick; nothing that at least "the dealer mechanics" have mentioned it might be a problem (Unless they normally they don't point it out)

On a side note; I know very little about engines.

Thanks

j.

Hilldweller 03-04-2010 01:13 PM

If it gets really hot in there, overheats, things warp, gaskets start to seep.
Just something to keep in mind.
Sometimes when you buy used, you buy almost-a-virgin. Sometimes you buy a the bar-room whore...

jmacjeep07 03-05-2010 10:36 AM

Well she is definitely not wearing white...

The oil leak is more of an annoyance than anything else.

I will find the source! :)

priell3 03-05-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmacjeep07 (Post 562624)
Well she is definitely not wearing white...

The oil leak is more of an annoyance than anything else.

I will find the source! :)

Get that TSB taken care of and I can almost guarantee your leak will go away. I had oil all over the place until I took it in. Handed the service writer the TSB and they did the work without question and completely free.