Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   April Motor Trend,, 2.0 Fiat turbodiesel .... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/april-motor-trend-2-0-fiat-turbodiesel-45684.html)

silvrevo 03-03-2010 10:50 AM

April Motor Trend,, 2.0 Fiat turbodiesel ....
 
Just got the new motortrend,,,, pg 24,, diesel talk.

Word is by the 4th quarter this year fiat will put a 2.0td in the Wrangler.

"Chysler will likely offer a 2.0 fiat sourced turbo diesel in the Wrangler by the fourth quarter this year!"

Enjoy:rolleyes:

Hilldweller 03-03-2010 11:05 AM

Over somebody's dead body at Chrysler, I'm sure.

Badfish 03-03-2010 12:08 PM

like they have a choice at this point. i can see it happening and its about time.

CruserBruiser 03-03-2010 12:18 PM

Is 2.0 diesel gonna be that much of an improvement over the V6??

Hilldweller 03-03-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badfish (Post 560538)
like they have a choice at this point. i can see it happening and its about time.

They poo-poo'd the 2.8 over sourcing issues...


Quote:

Originally Posted by CruserBruiser (Post 560542)
Is 2.0 diesel gonna be that much of an improvement over the V6??

Maybe.
My brother-in-law has a 1.5L turbo diesel F-1000 pickup (Brazilian version of the F-150). It impressed me with its ability around the farm; he's got 14,000 acres in central Brazil and not a paved road for miles.

Diesels are amazing little torque monsters.

daggo66 03-03-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 560480)
Just got the new motortrend,,,, pg 24,, diesel talk.

Word is by the 4th quarter this year fiat will put a 2.0td in the Wrangler.

"Chysler will likely offer a 2.0 fiat sourced turbo diesel in the Wrangler by the fourth quarter this year!"

Enjoy:rolleyes:

They've said that all along, just not in the US.

yj-genral 03-04-2010 07:29 AM

^ yeh they have said the wrangler is getting a new diesel all along but unless it said that they are going to put it in the wranglers for the US specifically im not convinced... shoot you can get a diesel right now if you fly over to the UK and buy one at the dealership then ship it back and pay a bunch of customs and redtape...

silvrevo 03-04-2010 12:07 PM

Thats true,, didnt mention for the us market,,, just said by the 4th quarter this year.

Tricky

thaduke2003 03-05-2010 12:37 PM

The Euro-market JK DOES have a diesel option.
Chances of it making it to the U.S.? Same as the chances of me becoming a Victoria's Secret cover girl- NONE :) Mark W.

Badfish 03-05-2010 01:34 PM

cant you get the diesel in canada too?

Hilldweller 03-05-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badfish (Post 562809)
cant you get the diesel in canada too?

I don't think so.

I've only seen one in America too.

yj-genral 03-05-2010 02:05 PM

sounds like a mastercard but backwards:

stock JK wrangler - $2100
2.0L disel option - $3000
not sending them to the US - priceless

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaduke2003 (Post 562761)
The Euro-market JK DOES have a diesel option.
Chances of it making it to the U.S.? Same as the chances of me becoming a Victoria's Secret cover girl- NONE :) Mark W.

i think you would make a FINE VS model :punk: as long as you stay in the jeep and fully clothed and have an actual hot model in the passenger seat... :D

thaduke2003 03-05-2010 07:38 PM

^ Hah... touche, sir :) Mark W.

Upstate 03-05-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruserBruiser (Post 560542)
Is 2.0 diesel gonna be that much of an improvement over the V6??

The Audi diesel backed by a 6 speed is fantastic.

Oryx 03-08-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badfish (Post 562809)
cant you get the diesel in canada too?


No diesel JK's in Canada. Emission regulations is the reason. Even though diesels pollute a lot less than gasoline engines the emission regulations are preventing most diesel engines from being put to good use in this country. I think that our government wouldn't approve a fuel consumption reduction of 20-30 % as it will lower the $$$ they get from taxes so up goes the emission regulations for diesel while gasoline powered engines can pollute all they want.

Only a few makes and models offer diesel engines(VW, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo..... all very expensive vehicles).

silvrevo 03-09-2010 11:08 AM

Now according to this,,,,,,,,,http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2011-jeeps-45721.html


The Penastar will be avaliable in the 2011 Wranlger coming out in Q2 or Q3!!!!!!

Nice.....???????????

10inchYJ 09-23-2010 03:57 AM

anybody know of a way to convert a amc 4.2 to diesel maybe turbo too

daggo66 09-23-2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10inchYJ (Post 784461)
anybody know of a way to convert a amc 4.2 to diesel maybe turbo too

I hope you mean replace.

thaduke2003 09-23-2010 08:35 AM

^ Yeah!
A: This is a JK Wrangler thread- try the YJ section if you're looking for YJ-specific bits.
B: There is NO way to convert an engine from gas to diesel without MAJOR refitting, that would cost in the tens of thousands (new everything, essentially).
C: The only way it'd make any sense would be a SWAP. Try searching the YJ section for that, not JK.

Cheers- Mark W.

Adkjeep 09-23-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 560480)
Just got the new motortrend,,,, pg 24,, diesel talk.

Word is by the 4th quarter this year fiat will put a 2.0td in the Wrangler.

"Chysler will likely offer a 2.0 fiat sourced turbo diesel in the Wrangler by the fourth quarter this year!"

Enjoy:rolleyes:


From Allpar: "A Fiat diesel is reportedly being tested by Siemens for US certification in the 2012 Wrangler."

Jeep will be certifying a 3.0 V6 diesel for the Grand Cherokee for U.S. and Canada - makes sense that we would get this, and Europe the 4-cyl...

silvrevo 09-23-2010 11:37 AM

YES,,, one of these stupid American companies need to jump on diesels!

Its sitting right in front of them.

zaitcev 09-23-2010 12:14 PM

I am no big fan of diesels, however there's one thing: fuel tank on 2D JK is too small for my needs. Diesel is somewhat more efficient (nothing like his fanboii spew on the Internet, but it is). Also, diesel fuel is denser. So, JK with diesel is going to have about 25% better range, which amounts to an extra jerry can.

biffman 09-23-2010 12:45 PM

This is from Allpar:

The 2011 Jeep Wrangler is here; the 2012 will have a standard Pentastar V6. A revised VM diesel is for export markets. Rock-Trac 4x4 system. The Scrambler pickup appears to be “no-go” for a few years at least. Jeep Wrangler • Scrambler Read more at Upcoming changes in the Chrysler lineup

Biggie_Robs 09-23-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upstate (Post 563259)
The Audi diesel backed by a 6 speed is fantastic.

I didn't know they offered a standard transmission TDI in NA, or are you referring to a 6-speed automatic?

Man! Would I love a standard transmission diesel engine in my vehicle...

Adkjeep 09-24-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs (Post 786152)
I didn't know they offered a standard transmission TDI in NA, or are you referring to a 6-speed automatic?

Man! Would I love a standard transmission diesel engine in my vehicle...


Audi offers a stick in some cars, but parent company VW offers sticks in all engine combinations in their small cars here, which is awesome!

Biggie_Robs 09-24-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adkjeep (Post 786330)
Audi offers a stick in some cars, but parent company VW offers sticks in all engine combinations in their small cars here, which is awesome!

Thanks, I didn't know that.

MCoppage 09-25-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffman
This is from Allpar:

The 2011 Jeep Wrangler is here; the 2012 will have a standard Pentastar V6. A revised VM diesel is for export markets. Rock-Trac 4x4 system. The Scrambler pickup appears to be "no-go" for a few years at least. Jeep Wrangler o Scrambler Read more at Upcoming changes in the Chrysler lineup

Any chance there will be a way to convert older JKs to diesel?

thaduke2003 09-25-2010 09:24 AM

^ With an engine swap, maybe. But it'll be a PITA- all kinds of wiring, motor mounts, etc. Mark W.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.