Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   The first time you got 'The Wave' (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/the-first-time-you-got-the-wave-4596.html)

Tiburon 12-18-2006 11:04 AM

The first time you got 'The Wave'

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 38905)
My first experience with the jeep wave was a guy waving (which I returned), him then turning around and following me to the gas station. I was a little unnerved by it.

I saw tiny write this and thought it should have its own thread. I remember my first time with 'the wave' it was June 10, 2000 I had just bought my first YJ and as I was driving it home the first time a TJ was coming the other way and waved to me, so I waved back, not really knowing how it all worked. But now I know there was always a reason I've wanted a Wrangler since I was 10.

amerijeep 12-18-2006 11:09 AM

Yeah, I remember. I said to another Jeeper, "You Know, we should start waving to all Jeeps we see and see if it catches on".

And so it began.

tiny terror 12-18-2006 11:18 AM

I think it was the confused look on my face that made him follow me. Amerijeep, dude, you weren't supposed to use your middle finger, everyone's doing it now.

(I'm sorry, I can't help but think the title of this thread sounds like something that can be cleared up with a shot.)

4Jeepn 12-18-2006 01:16 PM

1st time I had no clue why some guy in a CJ was waving at me.. I kept thinking.. who the heck is that, does he know me? Then it happened again further down the street, i caught on... I remember reading that paper while living in Altanta a few year back, about how some person was talking about the wave saying," there is no way all the jeep wrangler owners can know each other here..." I got a good laugh out of it.

Texapple 12-18-2006 04:44 PM

I was educated by the salesman at the dealership....a Wrangler owner himself

I drove out of the parking lot smiling & waving

I admit....waves while in the CJ are sweeter :p

whiteyj 12-18-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 38981)
Yeah, I remember. I said to another Jeeper, "You Know, we should start waving to all Jeeps we see and see if it catches on".

And so it began.

Now Amerijeep, I thought you were still driving Contestoga wagons when you started the wave?

Skitzic 12-18-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texapple (Post 39031)
I was educated by the salesman at the dealership....a Wrangler owner himself

I drove out of the parking lot smiling & waving

I admit....waves while in the CJ are taste sweeter :p

x2. I got my first wave on the test drive and the salesman said it's rude not to wave back. So I wave and am happy with myself. Even when the JKs don't wave back. :D

amerijeep 12-18-2006 06:48 PM

I got my first JK wave today. It was pretty cool. Every Jeep I passed today waved and that is unusual. Also, I never saw another YJ today. That is a little odd....

Skitzic 12-18-2006 06:51 PM

I rarely see YJs, and there's already 5 or more JKs in the area. None of which ever wave to me. Maybe I'm just no cool enough.

jj33002 12-18-2006 08:54 PM

Yeah I have noticed a bunch of new jeeps with really "young" drivers in them and they don't wave. I wander if they just don't know about the wave or think that their newer jeep is better than my YJ?

amy 12-18-2006 09:34 PM

Skitzic, you're cool, they're not.
jj33002, I see a lot of really young drivers in really new jeeps, too. They just don't seem to have a clue. I give them the benefit of the doubt and wave anyway.

My firsy jeep wave was years ago, from an old guy in an old CJ. I waved back just to be polite. Then my husband explained it to me. Been waving since.

mrbigjeep 12-19-2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy (Post 39178)
Skitzic, you're cool, they're not.
jj33002, I see a lot of really young drivers in really new jeeps, too. They just don't seem to have a clue. I give them the benefit of the doubt and wave anyway.

My firsy jeep wave was years ago, from an old guy in an old CJ. I waved back just to be polite. Then my husband explained it to me. Been waving since.

I WAVE :D

its the other young guys i see that don't wave. with the exception of one sweet jeep i see with a fairly young driver (20's)

i think hes on 35's or 37's. i used to see him every day on the way to school so i'd give him a big wave and he knew it was me every time.

i think my first wave was a couple days after i had just gotten my TJ. i already knew about the wave so i waved first and they waved back :)

DonK53 12-19-2006 01:31 PM

I dont’t remember the first time, but I do notice there are different variations of the wave.
Some just give a two finger, hand still on wheel. Some are, arm out the window rain or snow.
You can really tell if someone is just driving a Jeep or if the Jeep is driving them. The wave should
be put in the owners manual between wipers and headlights.
I have to admit though, I get a lot more waves driving my 3B than I do in my TJ.

03Leo 12-19-2006 01:49 PM

My story of the wave is rated R, but I only confirmed what the wave was about once I found you guys here.
:D

Skitzic 12-19-2006 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonK53 (Post 39324)
I dont’t remember the first time, but I do notice there are different variations of the wave.
Some just give a two finger, hand still on wheel. Some are, arm out the window rain or snow.
You can really tell if someone is just driving a Jeep or if the Jeep is driving them. The wave should
be put in the owners manual between wipers and headlights.
I have to admit though, I get a lot more waves driving my 3B than I do in my TJ.

There's a guy I see everyday on the way to work with his arm out the window. He raises two fingers and sticks his tongue out...and he never wears a jacket. It's always a bare arm, even in freezing rain. Makes me cold just thinking about it...

Griz 12-20-2006 09:22 AM

I wave at every Jeep I see. So far I have nmot received a wave back in the urban areas but everyone in the rural areas wave Jeep or not. Maybe all the transplants to Colorado think there is ice on the roads 24/7 365.

tiny terror 12-20-2006 09:34 AM

I saw three, yes three YJs yesterday and they all waved. How silly is it that something like that makes my day? Resotration of tradition I guess.

Or could be that my company kept saying "do you know them?"

and my answer... "Yes, all Jeep owners know each other."

JeepCrawler98 12-20-2006 11:02 AM

When I first got my Jeep in nov. 2002 I was 17. I had no clue what the Jeep wave was. That lasted all of two jeeps waving at me before I got it, I loved the idea, and now I wave all the time and rarely ever miss one.

bluvikng 12-20-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griz (Post 39472)
I wave at every Jeep I see. So far I have nmot received a wave back in the urban areas but everyone in the rural areas wave Jeep or not. Maybe all the transplants to Colorado think there is ice on the roads 24/7 365.

I noticed that too Griz, that a lot of people in CO, don't wave. They kind of look at you, like, whats your problem?

Odd is he 12-20-2006 11:34 AM

Rarely do i get waves back from TJ's and JK's around here...... On my trip up to VT my arm was so tierd of waving at the end of that day...

My first wave was in my 1987 YJ, first jeep that start it all from their....

MouthfulOfGrass 12-20-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj33002 (Post 39141)
Yeah I have noticed a bunch of new jeeps with really "young" drivers in them and they don't wave. I wander if they just don't know about the wave or think that their newer jeep is better than my YJ?

Well, their new Jeep is better than yours.....But they should still wave. :cool:

BrandyBAH 12-20-2006 12:21 PM

My first wave was when I was driving my boyfriend's new TJ in April 2000. I was driving around a country road and a guy in a CJ drove by and waved. I waved back and have ever since.

Got the most recent yesterday afternoon while in my TJ from a young guy in a mudded up TJ...he threw his arm out the window high and I responded right back with the big wave too.

Have noticed most of the younger (teens and early 20's) around here don't wave and look at you like you're crazy. Oh well they need to catch on to the wave.

khenderson 12-20-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandyBAH (Post 39506)
Got the most recent yesterday afternoon while in my TJ from a young guy in a mudded up TJ...he threw his arm out the window high and I responded right back with the big wave too.

i love it when you get the big arm-out-the-window wave. just brightens your day just a little bit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandyBAH
Have noticed most of the younger (teens and early 20's) around here don't wave and look at you like you're crazy. Oh well they need to catch on to the wave.

can you pull them over and smack them to teach them the proper etiquette when passing another jeep???

tiny terror 12-20-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khenderson (Post 39518)
can you pull them over and smack them to teach them the proper etiquette when passing another jeep???

Are we allowed to do that? Cuz, I'm up for it. :D

mrbigjeep 12-20-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandyBAH (Post 39506)

yeah same for my part of town. the young teens and college students never wave! except for one guy in a YJ and a 20's guy in a TJ.

i guess you could say im one of the few "teens" that wave. but i definitely do wave!!! and i wave back whenever i get it first.

Greatwhite 12-20-2006 09:24 PM

I have noticed that every, and I mean EVERY time I don't get a return wave, it is a female driver...guys always wave back....someone needs to edumacate the wimmen! =)

And YJ's are almost as rare as CJ's in my neck of the woods...

I used to ride, and never had a M/C not wave or return the wave...the Jeep crowd I am finding about 40% do the wave thing...a bit disappointed, I admit.

amerijeep 12-20-2006 09:26 PM

YJs rare in Phoenix? I was out there a few years ago, and those jokers were everywhere.

Triple88a 12-20-2006 10:05 PM

I will wave to Wranglers from now on i didnt know this was common with Wranglers since you see so many of them.

amerijeep 12-20-2006 10:13 PM

How come it's all garbled in your signature? Is that one of those IP things? I can't see it, so I'm thinkin' it is. My internet security doesn't play with them.

Triple88a 12-20-2006 10:18 PM

yep its the thing that tells your ip stuff. I wouldnt mind removing it if any one has an issue with it.