Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   trailer rentals? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/trailer-rentals-46029.html)

kirakyn 03-07-2010 04:32 PM

trailer rentals?
 
Again thanks to everyone who posted about the trailer hitch thread I did go and get a Hidden Hitch put on my JK. Now I looked on the Uhal website to get info about renting a small 4x8 trailer to pull and they have a restriction for Jeeps that you MUST have a hard top equipped.

I just wanted to know if anyone has run into this and if it's a real safety issue or just an insurance issue with Uhal and they won't rent to you without it. I do own a hard top and can put it on, go pick up the trailer, then take it off again but I'm only 5'1" and 115lbs and that hard top is a b@%!h to put on even with another person. And it's in storage at my parents house which is out of state and not a quick drive so I would really rather not have to put it on.

I just want to make sure if I rent or borrow a trailer and use my soft top or my new dirtydog4x4 top that I don't have a safety issue with pulling this from Delaware to Miami, FL.

Thanks :)

Always JK'n 03-07-2010 04:39 PM

Oh that's pretty terrible news...I have a soft top and was planning on renting a Uhaul this summer to move! Did they explain why they won't rent to a soft top?

kirakyn 03-07-2010 05:07 PM

I didn't call them I just looked on their website and saw the restrictions so I thought I would see if anyone had an issue with their own trailer. I've learned from previous experience that the people that answer the phones at my local Uhal dealership are not very knowledgeable and don't usually have any answers past price and rental types.

Blackbeard1718 03-07-2010 08:07 PM

I've read this on several Jeep Forums too. U-Haul will NOT rest a trailer to anyone driving a Soft Top Jeep, only a Hard Top. It does indeed have something to do with Insurance issues.

If you were to put your Hard Top on, Rent a Trailer, then remove your Hard Top and run Topless or with a Soft Top, your Insurance as well as the U-Haul Insurance may not pay for any damage, in the event of an accident. You may be liable for any and all damages to their Trailer, other property damaged, etc. Pretty big risk, IMHO.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any solutions to the Trailer Rental issue with the Soft Tops. If you have a friend/family with a Trailer that they'd loan you, you may look at going that route.

For the life of me, I can't figure what difference a Hard Top makes over a Soft Top when hauling a Trailer.

Hmmmm! Just had a thought! A buddy of mine rents Trailer's from Home Depot when he's buying lumber. Check out their Rental Office, if your local store has one. Might be something worth looking into.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Hexxum 03-07-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirakyn (Post 564636)
Again thanks to everyone who posted about the trailer hitch thread I did go and get a Hidden Hitch put on my JK. Now I looked on the Uhal website to get info about renting a small 4x8 trailer to pull and they have a restriction for Jeeps that you MUST have a hard top equipped.

I just wanted to know if anyone has run into this and if it's a real safety issue or just an insurance issue with Uhal and they won't rent to you without it. I do own a hard top and can put it on, go pick up the trailer, then take it off again but I'm only 5'1" and 115lbs and that hard top is a b@%!h to put on even with another person. And it's in storage at my parents house which is out of state and not a quick drive so I would really rather not have to put it on.

I just want to make sure if I rent or borrow a trailer and use my soft top or my new dirtydog4x4 top that I don't have a safety issue with pulling this from Delaware to Miami, FL.

Thanks :)

I had the exact same thing happen to me, and here is what I did.

1) I called a friend that had a car that had a hitch so I could tow the rig off the lot. It was a Ford Explorer. Wouldn't you know, they have a rule against Ford Explorers too?

So, I went home, placed an add on Craig's list and paid some illegal mexican $20 bucks to tow it off the lot for me. It ends up he didn't have a working wire harness, so I had to have one installed. I ended up paying $50 bucks, but got the trailer off the lot. As soon as it was off the lot, I unhitched it from him, hitched it up to me, and drove it from Virginia Beach to Indy. When I got to Indy, I had my brother take the trailer into the Uhaul for me.

I feel for you man.. I was in the exact same predicament. Hopefully you will have a friend with something other than a ford explorer with a working wire harness and they can get it off the lot for you.

FYI, it's not illegal to pull the trailer with the jeep on the highway, it's all UHAUL rules. I drove 80 mph on the highways and the trailer actually made my jeep drive better with the wind resistance.

Hexxum 03-07-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard1718 (Post 564820)
For the life of me, I can't figure what difference a Hard Top makes over a Soft Top when hauling a Trailer.

Hmmmm! Just had a thought! A buddy of mine rents Trailer's from Home Depot when he's buying lumber. Check out their Rental Office, if your local store has one. Might be something worth looking into.

In a soft top, if there were an accident, they are afraid the trailer would go through the jeep. I can kind of understand that, but still not really.

I check home depot, sears and a few other places, and they either won't rent for the same reason, or they are astronomical on the price. I even looked into buying a trailer and then selling it when I got to my destination as well. Since I ended up renting through UHAUL, I didn't have to go that route, as it is a LOT of money up front. But it is an option.

I saw in Menard's the other day, a pretty good deal for a 5x10 trailer with higher sides for 1300.00. I figure you could get 1k out of it when you get to your destination if you try hard enough.

Teasip 03-07-2010 09:04 PM

Costco last week or so had a foldable tow trailer for $800 or so that you could store in a shed, patio, etc..

kirakyn 03-07-2010 09:45 PM

The rental is just for a week to haul luggage. I'm taking a road trip from Delaware to the Florida Keys with my 3 daughters and I would like to leave my Jeep free of luggage and just put it all in a locked trailer I can unload at the hotel and take off right away...and it's an easier trip without all the stuff jammed in the back of the Jeep. But it looks like I'm going to have to do it that way because I can't use 1/2 my budget for summer vacation to buy a trailer that I have no place to keep throughout the year.

If anyone lives in DE and is looking to off load a trailer or a hitch cargo carrier I would be willing to talk to you about prices. I live in northern DE but am willing to travel 2 hours either direction, so NY city or Baltimore/DC area.

Thanks for all the good suggestions though

Hexxum 03-07-2010 09:53 PM

If you are coming back to DE, maybe there is a local on the boards that could rent it to you? Anyone?

Hexxum 03-07-2010 09:57 PM

Would something like this work? It's reasonably priced, would be able to store it relatively easy and it would be yours to use anytime with your new hitch.

WAR836 - Cargo Hitch Rack 36in For Standard 2in Receivers | Discount Jeep Parts

Cargo Hitch Rack 36in For Standard 2in Receivers

Hexxum 03-07-2010 09:59 PM

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...nud/war837.jpg

bflank 03-08-2010 10:39 AM

I have had great success with a hitch rack and some large plastic bins from Home Depot. Keeps the gear secure & dry, easy to secure to the rack with bungee cords.

kirakyn 03-08-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilsonspiznud (Post 564934)
Would something like this work? It's reasonably priced, would be able to store it relatively easy and it would be yours to use anytime with your new hitch.

WAR836 - Cargo Hitch Rack 36in For Standard 2in Receivers | Discount Jeep Parts

Cargo Hitch Rack 36in For Standard 2in Receivers

This looks like it would work...do you know if I can leave the spare tire on the back door with this and still pack it securely? I just want to be prepared if I need to remove my spare (which I really don't want to do).

Thanks:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.