Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Jeeps lifted (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jeeps-lifted-4610.html)

Mike001 12-19-2006 08:10 AM

Jeeps lifted

Well I got my lift on I just have to get a more powerful drill to drill out the spot for the new track bar. But has anyone ever had this problem. My rear axle is about an inch off to the passenger side and tucked in an inch on the driver side. I have adjustable uppers and and fixed lowers. I also added a rear track bar relocation bracket. How do I align it or should I just let the alignment shop do it? Will it be OK to drive there like that its only about 3 miles. I set the pinion angle and its good, but will it hurt to drive it on the street with out the SYE. The only extreme angle at the top u joint but its not any worse than a couple of other peoples, so will I be able to drive it on the street?

mrbigjeep 12-19-2006 08:52 AM

you need an adjustable trackbar to get the axle recentered.

as long as your not gettin a lot of vibes or the vibes are minimal you'll be fine until you get the sye installed.

oh and post up some pics :)

Jerry Bransford 12-19-2006 09:58 AM

Any driveshaft vibrations are bad, there is no small amount that can be considered 'livable' as they'll cause seal and/or bearing failures either at the t-case or pinion shaft. I'd get that angle reduced somehow. You didn't say how tall your lift is but dropping your transfer case skidplate 1" with a spacer kit may do the trick until you can get the SYE kit and CV driveshaft installed.

Yep, as bigjeep said, you need adjustable-length trackbars to get those axles recentered... though being off center a tad isn't all that bad, and not nearly as bad as having drivetrain vibrations. :)

Mike001 12-19-2006 11:07 AM

So driving it to the alignment shop will be ok as long as the vibes are not there or minimal. Is a t-case drop just spacers and longer bolts? I can't figure that out. I guess for the rear track bar the supplied bracket didn't work and I can just fab one up huh?

Scout 12-19-2006 12:00 PM

I posted some pics up in this thread with my T-Case lowering kit.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/transfer-case-lowering-4597.html

Yes it's mainly spacers and longer bolts.

mrbigjeep 12-19-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike001 (Post 39289)
So driving it to the alignment shop will be ok as long as the vibes are not there or minimal. Is a t-case drop just spacers and longer bolts? I can't figure that out. I guess for the rear track bar the supplied bracket didn't work and I can just fab one up huh?

you'll be fine just to get to the alignment shop.

Mike001 12-19-2006 01:22 PM

Simple Scout I'm confused now the pinion angle is supposed to be parallell? So the u joint and driveshaft should be angled at both ends?

Mike001 12-19-2006 01:25 PM

Oh and do you remember the size and thread count on the bolts? I think I'm gonna fab a t-case drop until I can get the SYE installed.

03Leo 12-19-2006 01:56 PM

Question about alignment then: Are all alignment machines capable of working on Jeeps or lifted 4x4's in general? The last time I took mine to a local place (brakeworld) they said that my tires were too big and that their equipment would not do the right job. I get minor vibes with my 32's and 2" spacer lift. :)

mrbigjeep 12-19-2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Leo (Post 39332)
Question about alignment then: Are all alignment machines capable of working on Jeeps or lifted 4x4's in general? The last time I took mine to a local place (brakeworld) they said that my tires were too big and that their equipment would not do the right job. I get minor vibes with my 32's and 2" spacer lift. :)

my alignment shop did a fine job with my lift and tires. just make sure you take it to a good place and not a dump.

Jerry Bransford 12-20-2006 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike001 (Post 39318)
Simple Scout I'm confused now the pinion angle is supposed to be parallell? So the u joint and driveshaft should be angled at both ends?

For the type driveshaft you have, the pinion shaft and transfer case output shaft must be parallel to each other. So the front and rear driveshaft u-joints will have an equal but opposite angle so they cancel each other out. :)