Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Buying used TJ-what do I avoid getting? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/buying-used-tj-what-do-i-avoid-getting-4617.html)

spacomponents 12-19-2006 03:48 PM

Buying used TJ-what do I avoid getting?
 
I'm new to TJ's, and shopping now for a clean, 6-cyl with an Automatic, so everyone in the family can drive it. going to tow it on motorhome trips to Baja and the desert. want about '98-02 I think.

can anyone advise what to hunt for and what to avoid, options-wise? should I stick to non-ABS?

I would probably run 33's and good shocks, sway bar disconnects, maybe more. Trying to avoid sye, unless it's easier and cheaper to do than I think.

khenderson 12-19-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacomponents (Post 39346)
I would probably run 33's and good shocks, sway bar disconnects, maybe more. Trying to avoid sye, unless it's easier and cheaper to do than I think.

that makes me think you'll want to look for one with a D44 rear. Yeah, you could get a d35 and upgrade it, but it'd be SO much easier and probly cheaper to find one with the 44 in the first place. and you'll be able to run 33's with a BB(or a 2.5'' lift) and a 1'' BL, which will avoid the SYE and all that jazz.

beyond that, i'd look at some of the issues that kind of plague jeeps:
cracked headers, rear main seal leak, ummm.....just went blank. but that's a good start. i'm sure others will chime in soon.


edit:
oh....and don't be worried about higher miles. with a 4.0 that's been taken care of, they'll run for 200K no problem.

spacomponents 12-19-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khenderson (Post 39357)
that makes me think you'll want to look for one with a D44 rear. Yeah, you could get a d35 and upgrade it, but it'd be SO much easier and probly cheaper to find one with the 44 in the first place. and you'll be able to run 33's with a BB(or a 2.5'' lift) and a 1'' BL, which will avoid the SYE and all that jazz.

beyond that, i'd look at some of the issues that kind of plague jeeps:
cracked headers, rear main seal leak, ummm.....just went blank. but that's a good start. i'm sure others will chime in soon.


edit:
oh....and don't be worried about higher miles. with a 4.0 that's been taken care of, they'll run for 200K no problem.

hey thanks! what is BB?? would I be ok with an auto trans with higher miles?

the D44 comes in Sahara models, right? cracked headers, replace with Borla or Banks?

4Jeepn 12-19-2006 05:19 PM

97-99 had exhaust manifold issue, solved in the 00 model, but finding a 00 with an auto and dana 44 is rare. Not a fan of ABS but if its going to be more of a tooling around jeep vs a trail jeep, it may not be a bad thing to have... the dana was not std on any jeep.. look for one with the 30" tire group and it should have the 44 in the rear on the 98-2000 with the 5spd.. again the 44 in the auto takes some searching.

khenderson 12-19-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacomponents (Post 39364)
hey thanks! what is BB?? would I be ok with an auto trans with higher miles?

the D44 comes in Sahara models, right? cracked headers, replace with Borla or Banks?

i think it was standard with saraha but it was also an option with the sport, i believe. i've no experience with the auto trans, so hopefully some auto guys can vouch for this one. as for the header...they changed the design at some point in the TJ history to a header that didn't crack(it had flexible joints where it was prone to crack), so you can just look for that. and i think a dealer will also replace it for free under a TSB if its the old design.

BB: aka Budget Boost. a set of spacers that go onto of coils to give you 2'' of lift without getting new springs. most kits come with shocks as well and are cheaper than lift kits.


any more quesitons? bring 'em on!

khenderson 12-19-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 39367)
the dana was not std on any jeep..

welp, i was wrong on that one.
sorry bout that. knew someone would pipe up!

spacomponents 12-19-2006 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khenderson (Post 39369)
welp, i was wrong on that one.
sorry bout that. knew someone would pipe up!

everyone I talk to seems to want to lift as high as they can afford, but it makes any 4x4 scarier in a side-hill situation. if it's possible, I'd like to keep the weight lower, but have good flex and good travel too.

so is it stupid to look at 2" springs (2" higher) or 3" with better flexing control arms, very good shocks, a locker in the rear, a winch, and great tires? and some armor where needed.

mrbigjeep 12-19-2006 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacomponents (Post 39377)
everyone I talk to seems to want to lift as high as they can afford, but it makes any 4x4 scarier in a side-hill situation. if it's possible, I'd like to keep the weight lower, but have good flex and good travel too.

so is it stupid to look at 2" springs (2" higher) or 3" with better flexing control arms, very good shocks, a locker in the rear, a winch, and great tires? and some armor where needed.

having a LCG (low center of gravity) is smart. a 2-2.5" coil lift with a 1" BL will make room for 33's and you won't have to worry about driveline angle. and sense it will only be 2-2.5" of suspension lift it should keep the CG (center of gravity) pretty low.

4Jeepn 12-19-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacomponents (Post 39377)
everyone I talk to seems to want to lift as high as they can afford, but it makes any 4x4 scarier in a side-hill situation. if it's possible, I'd like to keep the weight lower, but have good flex and good travel too.

so is it stupid to look at 2" springs (2" higher) or 3" with better flexing control arms, very good shocks, a locker in the rear, a winch, and great tires? and some armor where needed.

Nope, not stupid. I would go with a 3-4" lift though as it gives the tires a bit more room to flex with the proper bumpstops. Then again it all really depends on how you want your jeep to look and what type of driving you want to do.

RioGrande95 12-19-2006 09:15 PM

If you want to keep your center of gravity down, I would considder doing a 2" lift and then some sort of high clearance fender (tube fenders, cut outs, etc) instead of the body lift. Will cost more, but will keep the CG down and would look pretty sweet.

Triple88a 12-19-2006 09:22 PM

Tube fenders is the best way i can think of for low gravity and increased travel. Here is a pic. http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/TJTubeFenders.asp

khenderson 12-19-2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 39435)
Tube fenders is the best way i can think of for low gravity and increased travel.


i'm just waiting for Scout to come in here and flash his fenders around! :flipoff: :D :flipoff:

1BLKJP 12-20-2006 03:45 PM

How much are you looking to spend on it? I have a buddy who is even a member on here that will be putting his 00 TJ on 35's up for sale in the next couple days.

spacomponents 12-22-2006 11:58 AM

well, I don't have a budget oddly enough. luv those tube fenders!

I love all Jeeps, but I gotta limit myself to what will be lightest weight cause I need to tow it when we take our motorhome down to Baja. :cool:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.