Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   2003 TJ stock stereo question/problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2003-tj-stock-stereo-question-problem-46248.html)

Kyle03Sport 03-10-2010 08:04 AM

2003 TJ stock stereo question/problem

I've had my jeep for 2 months now. For the last week, the stereo has been having trouble reading and ejecting CD's. It'll make a repeating "ticking" noise for a LONG time (30+ seconds) which I believe to be tied to the actual cd player of the stereo. It will even do this when I turn the stereo off AND/OR turn the jeep completely off and take the key out of the ignition. A couple of questions:

1. Anyone had this problem and fixed it without complete replacement?
2. If I get an aftermarket stereo, will I lose the speaker that's located in the console (to the very right of the drivers seat)?
3. If I have to replace the stereo and CAN save that speaker - how do I wire that?

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy.

TheTJRod 03-10-2010 08:38 AM

Well, I would recommend getting a new stereo(or you can buy my stock radio :wavey:)

And yes you can save your sub in the center console. Just check out the link in my sig for installing a radio in your 03(Same year as mine!) In the wiring area you will have to connect one more wire as I don't have the sub. The wire is used to turn on the amp and the audio wires to the amp are integrated into the rear speaker wires.

If you like to run around town with the doors and top off and are afraid of someone stealing it get the iVault. It doubles as an aftermarket radio mount. I highly recommend spending the 10 bucks to get the wiring harness, one you can do all wiring inside and two you can easily upgrade/replace with a stock unit.

s3nt3nc3d 03-10-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybeon (Post 567232)
Well, I would recommend getting a new stereo(or you can buy my stock radio :wavey:)

And yes you can save your sub in the center console. Just check out the link in my sig for installing a radio in your 03(Same year as mine!) In the wiring area you will have to connect one more wire as I don't have the sub. The wire is used to turn on the amp and the audio wires to the amp are integrated into the rear speaker wires.

If you like to run around town with the doors and top off and are afraid of someone stealing it get the iVault. It doubles as an aftermarket radio mount. I highly recommend spending the 10 bucks to get the wiring harness, one you can do all wiring inside and two you can easily upgrade/replace with a stock unit.

That one extra wire you gotta hook up is the remote turn-on wire...it'll be either blue or blue w/ white stripe (can't remember which...and on some headunits, either will work).

Jsquared 03-10-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybeon (Post 567232)

I've read your writeup and I think you did a great job. I'm installing a cd player this weekend in my 05 X. I'll be following your guide step-by-step. But I've got a couple questions, if anyone has the time to answer them:

Do I need to disconnect the car battery before starting?

You mention the 2 wires for power and ground, what do you do with the extra ones?

Any tips or tricks to getting the dash out?

TheTJRod 03-10-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsquared (Post 567350)
But I've got a couple questions, if anyone has the time to answer them:

Do I need to disconnect the car battery before starting?

You mention the 2 wires for power and ground, what do you do with the extra ones?

Any tips or tricks to getting the dash out?

Thanks!

I recommend disconnecting the battery, one wrong move and you could blow a fuse. You can do it without disconnecting the battery but safety for a reason.

The 2 wires for power and ground were in the harness. Shouldn't hurt anything to remove the wire that isn't connected. I just crimped them together. Take a look at your harness, should come with a wire diagram.

For the dash, you can use a puddy knife(or actually by the panel removal tool at an auto store) to help pry out the dash to keep from making marks on it. Though I just used a large flat head screwdriver with no ill effects. The tabs that go on the back side of the dash panel will some times come off and stick to the slots they go in, just remove them with pliers and stick them back on.