Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   CB Mount....... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/cb-mount-46495.html)

cavediverjc 03-13-2010 07:37 AM

CB Mount.......

I posted this question in the Communications Forum, but I don't know how many people peruse that section of WF, so I'm posting it here in the TJ Forum. Who makes this mount (or one similar) and where can I get one? I like the location that the bracket lets me mount my CB in, and I like the idea of NOT drilling into my dash. Any info here would be useful.......

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...jc/cbmount.jpg

cavediverjc 03-13-2010 08:33 AM

Beuller. Beuller. Ferris Beuller.

Anyone? Is it December 22nd, 2012 already? No one out there? Lol.......

whiteyj 03-13-2010 08:53 AM

I'm here.....But then you know us lowly YJ guys.......We don't need no special girly brackets. :flipoff:

whiteyj 03-13-2010 08:55 AM

OK.....Since Scout's now here to help......

MP - Jeep CB Mount Bracket Mini CB TJ [MP 100002055-00] - $25.95 : Jeep Outfitter

cavediverjc 03-13-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 570201)

You're a good man, White. I appreciate it. :wavey:

cavediverjc 03-13-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 570199)
I'm here.....But then you know us lowly YJ guys.......We don't need no special girly brackets. :flipoff:

I'm not a YJ hater. In fact, I'm kicking around the idea of picking one up sometime this spring. It's a '90 with a 6 cyl and a 5 speed. Almost NO rust and is pretty straight. Frame is in excellent shape. It's been taken care of. Soft top is a bit ratty, but it does have full doors. If the seller and I can agree on a price, then I'll add it to the small but growing fleet.

cavediverjc 03-13-2010 11:00 AM

Mount is ordered. Should be getting it sometime next week.

stevens243 03-13-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 570266)
I'm not a YJ hater. In fact, I'm kicking around the idea of picking one up sometime this spring. It's a '90 with a 6 cyl and a 5 speed. Almost NO rust and is pretty straight. Frame is in excellent shape. It's been taken care of. Soft top is a bit ratty, but it does have full doors. If the seller and I can agree on a price, then I'll add it to the small but growing fleet.

A straight, not rusted YJ? Where is this shangra-la you live and how do I get there?:confused:

terrible2 03-13-2010 12:42 PM

cave diver, I hope you know only certain CB models will fit there.

whiteyj 03-13-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevens243 (Post 570345)
A straight, not rusted YJ? Where is this shangra-la you live and how do I get there?:confused:

My 94 was until I moved it to WA......Going to take me a year to get all the rust of her once I get her back to sunny CA.:D

cavediverjc 03-13-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevens243 (Post 570345)

Can you believe it's in North Central Kansas? I don't know the seller all that well Larry, so I can't say where the Jeep has been prior to being registered in Kansas. It could originally be a southern Cali/Arizona Jeep for all I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrible2 (Post 570421)
cave diver, I hope you know only certain CB models will fit there.

I was concerned about that. I've got a Cobra DXIV compact CB. The manufacturer says it'll fit. Like anything JEEP, it may take some tweaking, but it'll get me started. I may not even like it there in the long run, but it was only $35 shipped, so worse case scenario the mount gets sold on eBay and I mount the CB elsewhere.

terrible2 03-13-2010 02:34 PM

Have you bought a CB yet? those Cobra 29 models are far too huge to fit there, the one you should get are the midland 1001z or cobra DIV or one of those models. I was thinking about mounting my CB there and those full size CBs will not fit. Seriously just drill it in above the AC vents in the middle of your dash, dont be afraid to drill into your Jeep. Its just plastic

cavediverjc 03-13-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrible2 (Post 570530)
Have you bought a CB yet? those Cobra 29 models are far too huge to fit there, the one you should get are the midland 1001z or cobra DIV or one of those models. I was thinking about mounting my CB there and those full size CBs will not fit. Seriously just drill it in above the AC vents in the middle of your dash, dont be afraid to drill into your Jeep. Its just plastic

The CB is on order. A compact Cobra 19DX is the official designation according to my order confirmation. We'll see if it works. If not, the CB is going on the dash above the center AC vents. It's weird now that I'm out of the Army. Used to be I'd just snag a couple of MBITRs with throat/bone transmitters and we'd use them instead of CBs. Now that I'm a civilian (sniper-on-loan) again, I have to get used to using toys that are only available to the civilian market.

terrible2 03-13-2010 07:44 PM

MBITRs grab one of those = ) yea that compact cobra should fit

Six Gun Matt 05-17-2010 02:56 PM

I just wanted to bring this thread back to life, because I am curious whether you like this mount or not Cave. Got any pics of it installed? I don't know if I like my cb just sitting in the middle of the dash, and this seems like the only manufactured bracket out there.

drivebytruckerz 05-17-2010 03:01 PM

That's a great looking mount.. but all my eyes are thinkin' is "stolen cb" with the top down..

Six Gun Matt 05-17-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivebytruckerz (Post 626669)
That's a great looking mount.. but all my eyes are thinkin' is "stolen cb" with the top down..

I think this is problem no matter where you mount your cb. I think just having an antenna sticking up is advertisement enough that you have a cb. Unless you use a quick disconnect on your antenna and splice up some disconnects for your cb like distortedtj did here, your cb could be at risk no matter where it is (unless it's in something that locks like a Tuffy, which would have less risk).

I like the driver side location because it's a straight shot down the dash to the firewall plug that I am using for the power line. Really just curious if anyone has had experience with this bracket.

cavediverjc 05-17-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six Gun Matt (Post 626660)
I just wanted to bring this thread back to life, because I am curious whether you like this mount or not Cave. Got any pics of it installed? I don't know if I like my cb just sitting in the middle of the dash, and this seems like the only manufactured bracket out there.

I'm having some issues getting Photobucket to work, so I won't be able to post any of the installed pics. However, go to my username, click it, then click on my profile, then click my Jeep profile. There's a pic of it installed.

I'm digging it where it is. It's easily accessible and I didn't have to carve up my dash to install it.

Six Gun Matt 05-17-2010 04:22 PM

Thanks for the response! That just seems like a logical place for it to go. But I do like it in the center so the passenger can use it too.

cavediverjc 05-17-2010 04:29 PM

Yeah, that's the only drawback. Passenger can't use it when it's all the way over to the driver's left. But I'm still very happy with the mount and the CB.

computeruser 05-18-2010 07:29 PM

Who the hell would steal a CB? Seriously, maybe in the '70s when there was a market for such a thing, but now?

Anyway, I like that mount. Thought about using it to mount a GPS unit, but I'm so not left handed.

A simple center-mount CB setup:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1..._Install_2.jpg

cavediverjc 05-18-2010 10:11 PM

Here we go. Photobucket is finally working.....

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...iverjc/026.jpg

littledeviltj 05-18-2010 10:13 PM

i have the mount you ordered and love it. everything is up and out of the way.

stevens243 05-18-2010 10:19 PM

Maybe NEXT time we go jeeping together we can actually talk while we're driving!

So, when you coming out? I made some extra trips for JD and I don't even like him.

(that is a hint).

Nice CB setup by the way.