Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   New 2009 Wrangler Unlimited; Violent Shaking (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/new-2009-wrangler-unlimited-violent-shaking-46628.html)

rolvkh 03-14-2010 11:42 PM

New 2009 Wrangler Unlimited; Violent Shaking
 
Hey guys, I have been having some trouble with my vehicle and though maybe you all might be able to help me find some solutions and possible fixes. Last April I purchased a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited base model. Everything on it is OE and I have never taken it wheeling; as a matter of fact I pretty much baby it. Anyway, I have recently been having trouble with a violent shaking that occurs after hitting pot hole doing about 55 mph. It has happened to me twice now, each time it has occurred on a downhill stretch of road by my house. Basically, when I hit this spot on the road my Jeep will begin to violently shake and continues to do so as I slow down. Once I slow down to a near stop things resume to normal but the shaking alone is enough the rip the steering wheel out of my hands if I didnít really bear down on it. I donít really notice any major shaking otherwise but it still seems really dangerous. Any ideas or recommendation. Thanks.

I did have one instance a couple of months back where my Jeep rolled in gear (in 1st but the parking brake was off) on a slight grade. It ran into some underbrush which stopped it so I only had minor scratches but I mention this as it might help explain the first issue.

tiny terror 03-14-2010 11:44 PM

Sounds like deathwobble. Start with the track bar.

bergy 03-15-2010 12:54 PM

yeah like tiny said check the track bar... deathwobble is pretty common in lifted Jeeps but it can happen in stock Jeeps as well... its a place to start

Joannavr 03-15-2010 03:56 PM

I just fixed this exact issue on my 2006 Sport by replacing the tires. After having them balanced and checked by 2 different mechanics who said they were fine, the dealer changed them out and the problem stopped completely.

Jerryspc 03-15-2010 04:20 PM

Death Wobble
 
I had the same issue after I lifted my 2009 Jeep wrangler X with AEV 4.5 Premium lift kit. I am still dealing with the fine tuning of the front end. In my case it was the lower control arms. I needed to buy new ones that extended longer to give me more positive caster. AEV doesn't supply them in there kits. In your case, I heard that they had a string of bad ball Joints with 2009 wranglers, not sure how true it is, because it came from the AEV support member, but it's worth checking into. I know the feeling, out of control, ready to crash and burn. It's not pretty.

I have been back to the shop that put the lift in more times that I want to count. I stumped these guys and they are rated top ten in the country when it comes to modifying Jeeps.

Good luck with it.

G-Pur 03-15-2010 06:52 PM

I think the shaking you're experiencing is god expressing his distaste for the 4-door Jeep.

rolvkh 03-15-2010 10:37 PM

Thank you all so much, I will definitely start there. D-Pur, I am actually a bigger fan of the two door Jeeps and I use to have an older 75’ CJ5 and thought it was alot cooler than the newer Jeeps but I could not pass on all that extra room for only $2K more and it handles so much better on the snow (just my opinion). Maybe I will go with a two door for my next 4wheeling vehicle.
One last question for the forum, is this something I need to get fixed right away?

SecretAgentMan 03-16-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Pur (Post 572607)
I think the shaking you're experiencing is god expressing his distaste for the 4-door Jeep.

Now THAT is hilarious! I have a friend who refuses to wave to 4 door Wranglers . . .


Rolvkh, there is another death wobble discussion HERE.

Schmo 03-16-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolvkh (Post 572884)
Basically, when I hit this spot on the road my Jeep will begin to violently shake . . . the shaking alone is enough the rip the steering wheel out of my hands if I didn’t really bear down on it.

One last question for the forum, is this something I need to get fixed right away?

I think your own comments should answer that question :eek:

2009 . . . Stock . . . Isn't it under warranty? Have you taken it to the dealership?


Anybody else find it odd that the Jeep would roll in first gear on a "slight grade" . . . doesn't sound right to me. Rolling with the E-brake on but not in gear, okay, but rolling in first gear doesn't seem right to me.

rolvkh 03-16-2010 11:23 PM

For some reason I was thinking my bumper-to-bumper was 12K or three years, but it might be (or probably is 36K). I will definitely have them look at it when I take it in for my next oil change.

With regard to the vehicle rolling in gear, I was surprised as anyone else. It happened at a family get together and several people were there to inspect it and we all noticed it was in 1st. Long and short of it I had a 06’ Ford and use to leave it in gear whenever I parked; never bothered with the parking break. I took the Jeep into the dealership and insisted they looked at it. Their answer: We didn’t really see anything wrong but can’t really take it apart unless it physically breaks. No the answer I really wanted but it taught me to use my parking brake all the time. I also let my insurance company know (although I didn’t file a claim) just in case something was to happen in the future. I will say though, Schmo, I was facing downhill; oddly enough it stayed put for about 30 minutes or so before it rolled.

Thanks for the link SecretAgentMan. I am starting to feel like I made the wrong decision with the four door…. not too many fans out there.

Schmo 03-17-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolvkh (Post 573754)
For some reason I was thinking my bumper-to-bumper was 12K or three years, but it might be (or probably is 36K). I will definitely have them look at it when I take it in for my next oil change.

With regard to the vehicle rolling in gear, I was surprised as anyone else. It happened at a family get together and several people were there to inspect it and we all noticed it was in 1st. Long and short of it I had a 06’ Ford and use to leave it in gear whenever I parked; never bothered with the parking break. I took the Jeep into the dealership and insisted they looked at it. Their answer: We didn’t really see anything wrong but can’t really take it apart unless it physically breaks. No the answer I really wanted but it taught me to use my parking brake all the time. I also let my insurance company know (although I didn’t file a claim) just in case something was to happen in the future. I will say though, Schmo, I was facing downhill; oddly enough it stayed put for about 30 minutes or so before it rolled.

Thanks for the link SecretAgentMan. I am starting to feel like I made the wrong decision with the four door…. not too many fans out there.

You should have at least a 3 year 36K mile warranty . . . I wouldn't wait to get it checked out if it's as violent a shaking as you mention . . . it's a new, stock and espeically seeing that you haven't taken it off road, it really shouldn't be doing that. Other than a wheel being out of balance or something like that, the dealership should take care of it on their dime.

As far as the rolling . . . even if you were pointed downhill, I would think that it should take more than a slight hill to make the Jeep roll in first gear. I'm not sure what to think about that one.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.