Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Soft Top Help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/soft-top-help-46630.html)

mattband2 03-15-2010 12:09 AM

Soft Top Help

I have a 1991 YJ with Full Doors.

What's the best soft-top?

Is the pavement ends softtop any good?

Which is the easiest to take up and down, and best for awful Chicago weather?

Thanks!

brent in az 03-15-2010 12:42 AM

There is no softop immune to the elements.

That's why there are hard tops.

Every softop has a frame, procedure, buttons, velcro fastenings, tensioners. Pretty much all the same. If you want consumer reviews, google them. Probably 2-3 companies do the soft top adequately. I have a besttop on a rampage tubing.

But's it's not waterproof nor have I seen a softop advertise itself to be. That's why there are holes in the bottom of the tub where your feet go.

When I say a softop "is not waterproof" I'm still saying 98% waterproof which is pretty good anywhere in the USA.

shinysideup 03-15-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattband2 (Post 572000)
I have a 1991 YJ with Full Doors.

What's the best soft-top?

Is the pavement ends softtop any good?

Which is the easiest to take up and down, and best for awful Chicago weather?

Thanks!

I've been researching these questions since I bought my Jeep a month ago; I've drawn the conclusion that the Supertop is the ONLY way to go with the full doors.

There are more options with the half doors (there's a member here in Peoria that may still have his for sale); in which case I would probably go with the Sailcloth on the factory frame.

I don't have direct experience with either, but I'm very handy with a search function. From what everyone is saying in regards to PE's: Run away.

mattband2 03-15-2010 10:40 AM

What do you guys know about the "Sunrider" top? I've heard mixed reviews...

Anyone own one?

Geoff@Bestop 03-15-2010 10:56 AM

Matt: Do you have a soft top now, or just a hardtop? If you have soft top hardware already, then you have some extra options (Sailcloth Replace-A-top, that Shiny mentions). But you can't use that unless you already have hardware.

The Pavement Ends top uses the same hardware design as the Supertop, so it's exactly the same for ease of use. Think of Pavement Ends as a Supertop that has cut some corners: it's made in China from less expensive fabric, it has thinner window glass. I think it's still a quality product, ESPECIALLY when you are comparing it to other budget soft tops.

The Sunrider top is very much like a Supertop with an extra hinge. It allows the front part to flip back. It adds some complexity, but otherwise uses the same concepts and technology of a Supertop. Pavement Ends also offers a budget version of this top.

Standing up to Chicago weather?
I agree with Brent, that you need to keep your expectations in check. But any of the tops should work fine, especially a new one with new hardware. Adjusted properly, they will shed snow and water with no troubles. Seal the seams, keep it tight, and you'll be fine.

I'd recommend the Bestop Supertop. But then, I would, wouldn't I?

sevenservices 03-15-2010 11:13 AM

keep them treated as well, after a couple years the sun will really dry them out. Remember; Bestop Cleaner, Bestop Vinyl Protectant.

The most common mistake (for convertable owners as well) is to let it go a couple years without protectant. Then you'll start getting dryrot, cracks and leaks.

Again, regardless of your choice, keep it treated!

mattband2 03-18-2010 11:13 PM

thanks guys, I'm looking into a top now, very excite, i like...