Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Check engine light (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/check-engine-light-46720.html)

FrankTheTank 03-16-2010 01:31 AM

Check engine light

Check engine light code reads: Main Catalys Bank 2 below threash hold...ideas i have cleared the code three times comes back on with in 10-20 miles? should i deal with it or just ignore the light? Any experiance with this type of code?

Jerry Bransford 03-16-2010 01:33 AM

Sounds like maybe a bad 02 sensor.

FrankTheTank 03-16-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 573051)
Sounds like maybe a bad 02 sensor.

yea figured that geuss ill get one and see...well its my fault i dumped 2 bottle of gumm out in it the other day before reading how many galons it treats.(21g/per bottle)....after that about a day of running on that the check engine light started its thing

Fweaky 03-16-2010 02:22 AM

Have you filled it back up since?

FrankTheTank 03-16-2010 02:35 AM

yea ran it to empty and filled it with regular and its at a 1/4 tank now i reset the code today and it didnt stay off...:banghead:

Gonda 03-16-2010 05:10 AM

I would ignore it for a while. My came on after I first bough my Jeep. Took a few long drive cycles to get it to stop coming on. If it is No 2 sensor it does not effect running, just there for emissions anyway.

FrankTheTank 03-16-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonda (Post 573071)
I would ignore it for a while. My came on after I first bough my Jeep. Took a few long drive cycles to get it to stop coming on. If it is No 2 sensor it does not effect running, just there for emissions anyway.

yea i know but im one of those people i hate lights but yea i can ignore it and see if it goes away, thinking of haveing my muffler shop guy take out the cats anywyas and gettin a super chips tuner and just tune the post cat 02 sensors out anyway...did it on my 04 GTO just left the pre cat sensors and tunes our the post cat because it had cat less mids

s3nt3nc3d 03-16-2010 10:18 AM

I've heard running a lot of additives (ie Gumout) can cause problems with O2 sensors and I'm thinking even problems with the cat itself (clogging it)...so yeah, if your engine is still running fine then chances are your cat isn't clogged and one (or both) of you O2 sensors are goners.

mrcarcrazy 03-16-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankTheTank (Post 573213)
yea i know but im one of those people i hate lights but yea i can ignore it and see if it goes away, thinking of haveing my muffler shop guy take out the cats anywyas and gettin a super chips tuner and just tune the post cat 02 sensors out anyway...did it on my 04 GTO just left the pre cat sensors and tunes our the post cat because it had cat less mids

Good luck. Any reputable muffler shop will not remove a healthy Cat. as the Gov't. will charge them a large Fine if caught.

And there is no Tuner that will do a damn thing for the 4.0L we have, well this is true until you have F.I.

Your LS series GTO is quite a different beast than the Jeep.

Tjrunner 04-15-2010 10:36 AM

they may not remove it but you may get them to "gut" it :) what " the man" cant see cant hurt you :)

01bud 04-15-2010 11:01 PM

catalyst below threshold means your catalytic converter is not working efficiently. and is probably no good. that sensor only checks cat efficiency.