Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   optima batteries...what happened? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/optima-batteries-what-happened-46752.html)

bato 03-16-2010 03:33 PM

optima batteries...what happened?

So I was doing some research here about batteries. I was thinking of getting an optima yellow top to run my winch and my 6 offroad lights. It seems everyone is saying there no good anymore, is this true? What would be a good alternative battery to run winch and lights? When I camp I often run lights and various things with the engine off for periods of time (not to long). I have a 2.4L with a stock alternator and need something that will work, a deep cycle battery.

Besides a battery would it be a good idea to get a larger alternator so I can charge it faster after winching? I read that you can get a durango or dakota alternator as they put out more amps but is that only for the 6cyl or will that work with the 2.4L 4 cyl as well? Any suggestions on an aftermarket alternator that would do me good? Thanks guys.

jwm1986 03-16-2010 03:37 PM

No suggestions on the alt but yeah Optima's have sucked for a while now, especially the yellow tops! My cousin had two that were toast brand new... Finally got one that worked on the third time and within a year it was going dead already!

Do yourself a favor and go pick up a Diehard battery.

Schmo 03-16-2010 03:38 PM

When I was shopping for a new sealed battery all the positive comments I heard were about Odessey and the Sears Platnium which is a rebadged Odessey made for Sears with a better warranty. That's what I went with and it's worked well for me. The one I got has a second set of ports for a winch, lights, etc. Seems like Optima was the go to for Jeepers for many years but the quality has plummetted recently from what I've read.

bato 03-16-2010 03:43 PM

^ Schmo, would that be a diehard platinum you got? I didn't realize they had a second set of ports that's what I'm looking for.

Schmo 03-16-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bato (Post 573407)
^ Schmo, would that be a diehard platinum you got? I didn't realize they had a second set of ports that's what I'm looking for.

Yup that's the one . . . I think there are a couple of options, I went with the one with the second set of ports and it fit beautifully. Wasn't cheap at 190 bucks, but it's got a 48 month full replacement warranty and after that another 52 month prorated warranty. Best thing is that I don't have to worry about acid leaking anymore like I did with the stocker.

bato 03-16-2010 03:56 PM

Thanks I have heard nothing but good things about the die hard platinum seems like a good choice. Now does it matter where you hook the ignition and winch, top or bottom terminal? I would imagine they have the same output correct?

Now for the alternator, any suggestions? I'm not sure if a durango or dakota will fit the 2.4L like it does the 4.0

Jerry Bransford 03-16-2010 04:17 PM

Go for the Diehard Platinum 3478DT which has aux connect points on the side that works well for a winch. Your alternator is fine, I wouldn't worry about beefing it up. My Jeep had its OE alternator and a Diehard Platinum 3478DT the day it was stolen.

30-284 03-16-2010 06:38 PM

Jerry

Has sears or Odessey said one way or the other on using the side posts for a big draw like a winch?

Donn

Jerry Bransford 03-16-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-284 (Post 573509)
Jerry

Has sears or Odessey said one way or the other on using the side posts for a big draw like a winch?

Donn

Not specifically, so far as I know, but I know plenty using the Odyssey's & Platinum's side posts for winching without problem. I connected my winch to my Diehard Platinum's side posts without a second thought. Odyssey (who makes the Diehard Platinum) has that good of a reputation. :)

30-284 03-16-2010 08:35 PM

That's good to hear as that will be real handy to have side terminals that are rated high enough for winches and so forth.

Donn