Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   So confused rite now....??????help? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/so-confused-rite-now-help-46850.html)

AtcoTrailsINC 03-17-2010 05:06 PM

So confused rite now....??????help?

Ok so the story goes, went wheeling the other day and encountered plenty of downed limbs and sticks ect. All of a sudden theres this loud noise like someone sticking a pencil in a fan. Instinct tells me to check the rad fan so i shut her off and open the hood..nothing. By now i am concerned and thinking internal engine damage so i crawl under her in the mud to make sure theres no cracks in the block or trans ect. Well sure enough theres a stick sticking in between where the trans and engine meet ... wtf? i pull it out and it has black on the end and is slightly worn down, i start the jeep and sure enough that was the noise....what was going on here? is there a hole there im unaware of? Is this a problem? jeezz im confused :confused:

Jerry Bransford 03-17-2010 05:36 PM

Sounds like it got chewed up against the clutch mechanism, probably against the clutch's spinning pressure plate. If you got the stick out fully & it's no longer making a noise, odds are you got away with it without likely having damaged anything.

AtcoTrailsINC 03-17-2010 05:47 PM

i guess nows a good time to mention my jeeps a 3 speed auto :banghead: this worries me a bit becasue i went though some deep water...makes no sense to me how a stick can get in there but water cannot...maybe i am just overreacting :crash: :bottom:

Jerry Bransford 03-17-2010 05:51 PM

Maybe it forced its way into where the torque converter is, through the aluminum access plate in front of your automatic? Was the water deep enough to have flowed up past the mid-height level of the transmission for more than a brief period of time? The 3-speed auto's vent hole is about half-way between the tranny's input shaft and the top of the transmission & water can get inside if it's immersed to that level for more than a very brief period of time.

AtcoTrailsINC 03-17-2010 06:18 PM

yeah thats where it went in..wouldnt i loose tranny fluid? and the water was barely rite below the doors and its more like consecutive puddles along a trail maybe. This is so annoying lol its not even like it was a big stick i could snap it with one hand against a tree by bending it...and of course it was perfectly bent so that it fit snuggly in the rite place :banghead: This is what i get for taking a 2 week old jeep and getting it muddy and scratched :D

Jerry Bransford 03-17-2010 06:24 PM

There's no real easy way for that stick to have poked a hole into anything in that area to cause a tranny leak. The only thing up inside there is the torque converter and that is a pretty stout component. Plus the torque converter spins at engine rpms so the stick would never have been able to poke a hole into it. Based on what you say, I doubt any water got into the transmission and it seems likely you got off Scott-free. :)

ccain 03-17-2010 06:30 PM

^^ Yup. The stick was probably just grinding against the flex plate ring gear. Sorta like putting a playing card in the spokes of your bike. I would inspect the fly wheel inspection cover and straighten it as necessary.

Jerry Bransford 03-17-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccain (Post 574424)
^^ Yup. The stick was probably just grinding against the flex plate ring gear. Sorta like putting a playing card in the spokes of your bike. I would inspect the fly wheel inspection cover and straighten it as necessary.

You nailed it Chris, that's far more likely than the torque converter I was thinking of.

AtcoTrailsINC 03-17-2010 06:38 PM

Thank god lol tomorrows my day off and im planning on hitting up some of wharton and some other trails around me. A tranny problem would have just made me suicidal :zap:

thanks guys