Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   left front brake locking up? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/left-front-brake-locking-up-4696.html)

upinar 12-23-2006 07:01 PM

left front brake locking up?

About a week ago, my jeep started to pull hard to the left. like if it needs an alignment, but it doesnt. U can smell brake really strong and starts to smoke a little on the front left brake. But this only happens when i drive my jeep for a while, then it starts to pull to left harder and harder, to the point where i can let go of the wheel and my car will be in the next lane in about 30 feet. Pulls hard! I heard this can happen when mudd gets into ur callipars of something like this. I need help fast because i can drive like this anymore and i dont wanna buy parts that i dont need. thanks. And by the way, when it pulls to the left, i am just cruising with out the brake. thanks again

amerijeep 12-23-2006 08:52 PM

Been in any mud lately? Happens to me all the time after riding in the muck. I have to pull the front wheels off to dig the stuff out of the brake assembly.

Mudweiser 12-23-2006 09:39 PM

Mud will do it agreed. Also watch that hub bearing on that side. As the bearing gets worse it will push on the caliper harder..and start heating up more. Ide check your bearing too.

Triple88a 12-23-2006 09:53 PM

I used to have similar problem on my first car. It turned out the lower bolt that holds the brake caliper froze so the break pads would wear out only on one side and make the surface area bigger and eventually it just started pulling towards that brake. Check the movement on your brake calipers to make sure you dont have that problem.

upinar 12-24-2006 10:01 PM

will do thanks. but it hasnt done it since a few days ago right after i got stuck for the whole day. but ill still pull the wheel and check it out

lost 12-24-2006 10:27 PM

lol do you remember what I said the other day?

revreed 12-26-2006 09:49 PM

I have known of 2 different vechicles that have had the problem that you describe. Both were front rotors and both turned out to be a bad flex brake line hose. The lining came loose and would let the pressure through but would not release it. It acted just like a check valve in the line on one rotor. One of them finally locked the rotor completely. Just a thought from my experience...

4Jeepn 12-27-2006 08:17 AM

Either a bad caliper or you have mud in the caliper so it can't move towards the brake pad.. pull it clean it and see how it go's, If its still pulling and its clean replace the caliper.

robjeep 12-27-2006 07:30 PM

Mine did the same thing at 100K miles...I just went and got new calipers, Rotors and flushed the old crappy looking fluid out....Works perfect again!
Good luck...
Robert

Triple88a 12-27-2006 07:55 PM

Rob mine looks just like yours. Only difference is mine is only 40k