Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   clunk under floor (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/clunk-under-floor-47047.html)

holes 03-20-2010 07:20 PM

clunk under floor

I have a 98 tj 4.0 auto. When accelerating i feel a clunk at my floor under the driver side close to the fire wall. it clunks worse when accelerating rapidly. Any ideas?

also there is a squeaking coming from one of the front tires when it rolls, any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

CO4X4 03-20-2010 07:28 PM

Check your sway bar links. One of mine came apart and It make a clunk.

holes 03-21-2010 02:23 PM

any idea about the squeak in the front tire?

cherokee kid 03-21-2010 03:48 PM

I would check the u-joints. Have you lubed them recently?

AC3tj 03-21-2010 05:31 PM

thats really weird i drive a 1997 2.5 and mine just started doing exactly the same things the squeak and occasionally the clunk i can feel on my floor. let me know if you figure it out i would love to know.

Jerry Bransford 03-21-2010 05:32 PM

A heavy clunk makes me think bad control arm bushing or broken motor mount or broken transmission mount.

holes 03-29-2010 09:20 PM

The clunk is really bad when accelerating quickly but goes away once you hit about 20 and maintain speed. It seems like it does it when it's turning but not nearly as bad and clunks just once or twice. Does this confirm one of your ideas above jerry?

Jerry Bransford 03-30-2010 12:15 AM

Get on/off the accelerator pedal while you watch your transmission shifter without your hand on it. Does the shifter move left-right as you accelerate/deaccelerate? If so, that is a broken motor mount. If the shifter doesn't move left/right as you get on/off the gas pedal, try watching your front suspension (get on the floor & watch from the front) as a friend turns the steering wheel back & forth alternating between slowly and quickly. The tires should be on the ground & the engine running. Watch for unwanted movement anywhere in the front end.

If you don't see any unwanted movement, I'd start looking at the bushings in the shocks then the control arms. Are the bolts tight that hold that stuff together?

Finally, make sure none of the welds that hold the control arms have failed. I've had two failed control arm welds where stress tore the control arm mount away from the axle.

holes 03-30-2010 12:18 AM

Is the transmission mount pretty much out of the picture now?

Jerry Bransford 03-30-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holes (Post 585643)
Is the transmission mount pretty much out of the picture now?

Without feeling and hearing how dramatic the clunk is, not necessarily. But I would guess a broken motor mount at this point before a broken transmission mount... not that either is guaranteed to be the source of the clunk.

holes 03-30-2010 12:39 AM

Alright, well I'll try both of your ideas and follow up on this. Once again, your wealth of knowledge is always appreciated.

OldSkull75 03-30-2010 05:49 AM

Thanks Jerry! Im having the EXACT same 2 issues with my 2002 4 banger. I've been crawling under it everyday for 2 weeks trying to find the clunk.Also have a squeak from my rear passenger wheel thats driving me nuts.
holes: keep me posted on what you did to fix it.
thanks!

holes 03-30-2010 02:45 PM

I took it to the dealer ship because its under warranty from the dealership. The techinican is almost positive it is the front u joints. I'll know for sure on thursday when it gets fixed and will definately keep you posted.

holes 04-02-2010 12:14 AM

turned out to be transmission mount

Jess72j 04-02-2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holes (Post 576937)
I have a 98 tj 4.0 auto. When accelerating i feel a clunk at my floor under the driver side close to the fire wall. it clunks worse when accelerating rapidly. Any ideas?

also there is a squeaking coming from one of the front tires when it rolls, any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like either worn brakes or bearings causing the squeaking. As for the clunk at the floor, I was having a clunk like that with my 04. Turned out to be loose body mounts. It would happen during sudden acceleration and some bumps.