Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

how to get a wider stance?

43K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Samsrubicon 
#1 ·
i'd like to get a wider more aggressive looking stance out of my 97 wrangler. right now ive got some bridgestone 31s on what appears to be stock wheels. from what ive read wheel spacers are really dangerous and not many places sell them any more. what do i have to do to get a wider stance? is it just a matter of buying wider tires? do i have to buy a different set of wheels? what would you guys recommend?

thanks

#3 ·
New wheels with less backspacing than stock rims will give you a wider stance.There kinda manditory with wider and taller tires or you will rub while turning.Also take into consideration State inspection laws requiring your tires to be covered when they stick out from the body.Then you will need wider fender flares....let the mods begin!

#4 ·
4" backspacing on your wheels should do it. I thought about spacers and quickly decided to spend the money on the wheels. Didn't want to mess with taking off the spacers to check brakes etc. Just an added step that's not necessary.

#10 · (Edited)
cave - yes i'm shooting for the look of your jeep. what setup are you running?
I built the suspension for running 35" tires, but I'm only running 33's on it at this moment. I've got 3.75" backspaced 15x8" Eagle Alloy wheels with 33x12.50x15" tires. You might check with your state's fender laws before hanging your tires too far out. Some states have strict laws and others (like Kansas) don't require ANY fenders at all. Depending on where you live, you can usually get by with extended fender flares to cover your wider wheels/tires.

#12 ·
Wheel spacers have had a bad wrap in the past and if installed properly are not dangerous in the least. The best way of course would be new rims, but spacers can help. Spacers will only give you between 2.5" and 3" of push out on the axle while rims will get you more of what you want. Wheel spacers are illegal in some states. In Utah wheel spacer are illegal, but wheel adapters are not. Someone was not thinking when they made that law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.