Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Turn Signals, wipers, radio problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/turn-signals-wipers-radio-problem-47141.html)

Lulu 03-21-2010 08:40 PM

Turn Signals, wipers, radio problem
 
Since I bought my 97 Jeep in 2003 I've had numerous problems with my turn signals, wiper and cd player not working. I don't drive the jeep much-- only put 12,000 miles on it in 7 years. Every year I have this problem when I'm ready to drive it in the summer. The dealer replaced the lock cylinder once, then the ignition switch, then its the r/f socket, then sending unit, etc..
I am at a loss here and don't know why this continues to happen every summer. Has anyone had this issue with their jeep? Any ideas on how to fix this once and for all?

silvercreek62 03-21-2010 09:30 PM

all 3 problems happen at once?????????

Lulu 03-21-2010 09:34 PM

Yes... All three are currently not working. Through out the years, sometimes its the turn signals alone, but mostly all three don't work at the same time.

radar 03-21-2010 10:06 PM

yeah mine does the same thing I have just learned to live with it

pokey 03-21-2010 10:43 PM

It sounds like a classic case of a bad ignition switch (key cylinder), but since you had it replaced I don't know, unless the replacement was bad. Try turning the key all the way back and then forward a few times then try the signals and radio. Good luck.

HyperBuzzin 03-22-2010 09:23 AM

The heater and/or A/C isn't affected at all?

Lowrollin12 03-22-2010 11:16 AM

Funny I am having a simmilar problem today but my heat wont work either and my airbag light is on... I just baught it so back to the SELLERS SHOP!!!! I am not dealing with this shit but would love to know what is the problem.....

Lowrollin12 03-22-2010 01:23 PM

This issue gets even better and I think it is a bad ground... When I got in the jeep this afternoon the radio, wipers and turn signals worked but the wiper would not go into high mode and the heater fan wont work.... I love bad grounds and they shop I got it from will TOO!!!!

pokey 03-22-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrollin12 (Post 578391)
Funny I am having a simmilar problem today but my heat wont work either and my airbag light is on... I just baught it so back to the SELLERS SHOP!!!! I am not dealing with this shit but would love to know what is the problem.....

I would bet money it's a bad ignition switch. When I first bought mine same problem, including the air bag light staying on. It would happen about every other time I drove it. I took it to the dealer and even they couldn't figure it out. Finally I figured it out on my own. The switch (the thing the key goes in to start the jeep) is about $75.00.

Lowrollin12 03-23-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey (Post 578710)
I would bet money it's a bad ignition switch. When I first bought mine same problem, including the air bag light staying on. It would happen about every other time I drove it. I took it to the dealer and even they couldn't figure it out. Finally I figured it out on my own. The switch (the thing the key goes in to start the jeep) is about $75.00.

Hummm.... I appreciate the advice but let me ask you this... Now I dont have any problems with it at all but the blower motor and wiper motor wont come on in high.... I havent had any other things not work since the other morning. Wouldnt the lack of high voltage be a bad ground? Again I am not saying it isnt a ignision switch but I want to give all the info... Let me know what you think...

pokey 03-24-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrollin12 (Post 579540)
Hummm.... I appreciate the advice but let me ask you this... Now I dont have any problems with it at all but the blower motor and wiper motor wont come on in high.... I havent had any other things not work since the other morning. Wouldnt the lack of high voltage be a bad ground? Again I am not saying it isnt a ignision switch but I want to give all the info... Let me know what you think...

I'm certainly no expert with electrical, you said you took it back to the sellers shop. I would definitely tell them to check the ignition switch first. It controls a lot of the electricals, and every time you turn it on and off the computer resets a lot of things. Good luck.

Lowrollin12 03-24-2010 09:20 AM

Thanks for your help!

HyperBuzzin 03-24-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey (Post 580507)
I'm certainly no expert with electrical, you said you took it back to the sellers shop. I would definitely tell them to check the ignition switch first. It controls a lot of the electricals, and every time you turn it on and off the computer resets a lot of things. Good luck.

He did say in the first post they changed the ignition switch. I guess it's possible that one is bad too, or maybe something wasn't plugged back in properly?

pokey 03-24-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperBuzzin (Post 580639)
He did say in the first post they changed the ignition switch. I guess it's possible that one is bad too, or maybe something wasn't plugged back in properly?

The first post was Lulu. Lowrollin had the same problem.

HyperBuzzin 03-24-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey (Post 580760)
The first post was Lulu. Lowrollin had the same problem.

Ah... guess I should be sure I'm completely awake before reading & posting!!

Lowrollin12 03-24-2010 12:43 PM

Yea I kind of took over the post! Sorry....

BTroll 07-14-2014 12:31 PM

Any resolution here? Always helpful to follow up with what you found for others like me who are now searching? Thanks :)

andy18_00 02-16-2015 01:16 PM

Wipers, Radio, Etc. Issues
 
I had the same issue only mine was that things were working with the key out of the ignition. I finally replaced both the ignition switch and the pigtails for the multipurpose switch. It seemed to fix the problem.

ddsrph 02-16-2015 03:36 PM

I have a similar problem on my 97. It's always the wipers and turn signals. If they don't work I can shut off engine, turn them on and restart engine and they work fine. If I can remember to turn on wipers or turn signal before I start engine they always seem to work OK. is this a bad ignition switch or possibly the jeep computer getting reset by shutdown?

JM

RUBI 4 MY MRS 02-16-2015 11:06 PM

The wipers, signals & radio all get power to their fuses from the same wire (power source) coming from the ignition witch. If you lose all 3 at the same time it is almost for sure a bad switch. Sometimes it starts as an intermittent problem so playing with the ignition may work for a while but usually it will totally fail at some point. The PCM (computer) has no part in powering these things so not the problem.

ddsrph 02-18-2015 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUBI 4 MY MRS (Post 17024922)
The wipers, signals & radio all get power to their fuses from the same wire (power source) coming from the ignition witch. If you lose all 3 at the same time it is almost for sure a bad switch. Sometimes it starts as an intermittent problem so playing with the ignition may work for a while but usually it will totally fail at some point. The PCM (computer) has no part in powering these things so not the problem.

Thanks. That is actually good news. Is getting to the switch to replace very difficult? I need to do that when weather gets better.

JM

That99SaharaGuy 02-18-2015 05:35 PM

I've got the same problem. None of my courtesy lights work either. I think it's unrelated, but it couldn't hurt to clean and tighten the ground wires/ connections before buying a new ignition switch. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to where to find these grounds?

RUBI 4 MY MRS 02-18-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 17055162)
Thanks. That is actually good news. Is getting to the switch to replace very difficult? I need to do that when weather gets better.

JM


Here is a link to a u-tube video on replacing the actuator assembly which also involves removing the ignition switch. However you can replace the switch without removing the actuator by removing the covers around the column. You will need a security t-10 Torx bit or you can break the security tab off with a small punch or even a common nail & use a standard bit. There is only 1 bolt holding the ignition switch on to the actuator assembly & with that removed you can slide the switch off. It snaps onto the actuator so you may need to pry it a little but be careful not to bend the flexible rod that goes into the switch. If that rod gets damaged it may hang up & the "key in" chime may come on even when you take the key out. Just be careful to go straight away from the actuator until the rod clears the switch & you should be OK. Then remove the connector & thatís it.

U-tube video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7SKQpbn9Zjo

DP40 02-19-2015 07:25 AM

You can get the tamper proof torx bits at any auto parts store. My 2000 had a lot of the same symptoms radio, turn signals, wipers, not sure about the blower though. It was a bad ignition switch. As for Lulu's issue. I would refrain from taking it to a dealer. If the first thing they did was to replace the key cylinder then they do not have a clue. The cylinder has no electrical connections on it. If it turns like its suppose to then its NOT the cylinder. Its all in the switch at the opposite end of the key switch. There are plenty of videos and threads that show the assembly and how to replace the switch

Twy22 02-20-2015 05:34 PM

My '99 wrangler sport was also having an issue with the turn signals, wipers, and radio not working. I had the ignition switch replaced and haven't had any problems since. I know on mine, if you don't press the button in when you are removing the key then that could damage the ignition switch.

seaweed 1050 02-21-2015 08:42 AM

Clock spring under steering wheel gives a lot problems such as, cruise control, wipers, ghost horn, abs, engine light.

DowneysWrangler 03-02-2015 08:24 PM

Im having the problem with my turn signals, and radio. Haven't looked into the wipers as I just got it, but would it be possible that it is the same issue? Also having an issue with the blower that it only comes on at its highest setting! Possibly it too?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.