Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Polar Cold...

3K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  lindel 
#1 ·
97 4.0 5 speed with soft top(not sail cloth) no carpeting....The Zombie Edition Jeep i own DOES not like this cold at all. I was forced to drive my wifes car to work. I would kill to have a hard top right now. Just seeing who else is suffering due to the extreme stupid cold....:pullinghair:

#4 ·
I've been fine so far this winter. Got the soft top on with full doors and am nice and toasty in there. Wife and I ran errands last night and the mirror said -8 and I only had the blower motor speed on the second speed. To the OP, is your heater working as well as it should be?

#5 ·
It's been hovering between -5 and 10 degrees for the last few days here in NJ. I'm doing alright in with the soft top so far. It's frigid for a little while but after a few minutes the heat does alright. Not much space to heat in the Jeep so it warms up relatively quickly.

Those first few minutes though...ouch.

#7 ·
We've had the cold here in Colorado, but nothing like all you midwest and east coast people got. I was also debating on selling the hardtop, so glad I didn't. Yea, I was reading that when the de-icer for the planes freeze, you know that hell froze over. Stay safe and warm.

#37 ·
it was -30 hear last week and i didnt have a single issue :bop:

#10 ·
8 degrees here on Long Island and feeling the pain just like everyone else. Have a 97 Sahara with hard top and full doors. Only problem is I need to flush the heater core. I wouldn't call the air it blows hot, but a pretty good warm, just barely enough to keep up with these crazy temps. Also everything from steering to transmission feels stiff until it warms up. But it sure was fun in the snow!

#11 ·
A trick to keep warmer we used to use on the CJ's. Pick up a bathroom shower curtain. Connect it to the roll bar with some zip ties and drop it behind the front seats.

You've now cut in half the area that needs heated. You'll be toasty warm a lot quicker.
Screw any back seat occupants. LOL!

#12 ·
I have hard top w full doors n heat doesn't exist in my 99 sahara. Im lucky if i get luke warm air after 15-20 min of driving. Hasn't been too big of an issue since I've been working outside so I've been dressed to b outside. Today I was working inside so i wasnt all bundled up like usual n temps were below freezing w wind chills so ride to work was pretty chilly. My hands were freezing with gloves on by time I got to work (20 min ride) but still wasn't enuf to make me wanna take my truck w nice hot heat. No sir

#14 ·
This is my first Jeep, got it back in June . . . I couldn't resist this morning - took out the windows, dropped the top and took off the doors. 3 degrees at the house (@ 70 mph equals -48 wind chill). Everyone at the office thought I was an idiot . . . so does my wife . . . finally had feeling back in my nose by lunch.

#29 ·
This is my first Jeep, got it back in June . . . I couldn't resist this morning - took out the windows, dropped the top and took off the doors. 3 degrees at the house (@ 70 mph equals -48 wind chill). Everyone at the office thought I was an idiot . . . so does my wife . . . finally had feeling back in my nose by lunch.
That's awesome! Lol

#19 ·
We've been seeing negatives quite a bit here in NH...

SO GLAD I scored a brand new (yes, brand NEW) 2006 black hard top, tinted, for 600 bucks! And the guy gave me a brand new set of bestop seat covers for free! They don't fit, but score!

But I have to say.... my heater could cook a roast and the hard top doesn't make a world of difference, but it helps. I'm not saying I'm cold when driving, but it's not like driving my truck.... turn the heat off for a minute and you feel it quick. I plan on doing the kitchen mat insulation/carpeting to the interior of it when it warms up a bit, and that will cut even more noise/cold.

Running wise? She hasn't let me down.

#23 ·
I'm jealous of all of you with the crazy heaters. My heater sucks. My coolant stays full and there are no vacuum leaks and still blows slightly warm! Sometimes, however, it will blow warmer than others. I don't know?
But anyway. Went out to start the jeep yesterday morning at 5am, actual temp -11, wind factor about -30. She fired up, shook a little and stalled right out, as if to say "nope, not going. ". Second try, she fired and stayed running. I think the fuel delivery was drastically slowed and didn't get enough gas until I primed the system with the first start.

#27 ·
Heater woes? Here's a tip...

I'm jealous of all of you with the crazy heaters. My heater sucks. My coolant stays full and there are no vacuum leaks and still blows slightly warm! Sometimes, however, it will blow warmer than others. I don't know?
You may have the problem we did with my son's '99... the impeller on the water pump was shot, and wouldn't move the water through the heater core. Replaced the water pump and she blew nice and hot! Suggest you flush the heater core first, just to make sure it's not clogged with rust & slime.

Here's the thread where I fixed mine:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/heater-core-wont-get-hot-89993.html

Good luck - makes me glad I live in Houston!

#40 ·
I put carpet pad under the front carpet, this helps with heat, cooling and road noise. I also hang a blanket over the roll bar (Shower curtain style), and in real bitter cold, I'll put a burlap bag or cardboard between the grill and radiator.

I also have a head liner that helps with heat, cooling and wind noise. I've traveled in excess of 450 miles in sub zero temps with no problems. I also bought the wife a 12v electric blanket, she uses that, and I'm usually good with a sweatshirt. I also keep the carharts handy!

#41 ·
I installed seat heaters last winter that are a big help, and I'll probably try the shower curtain/blanket trick when I can get back outside and do a little work.

My Carhartts are reserved for work only though, because I never know when I'll have a shift outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.