Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Air Snorkels - The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/air-snorkels-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-47250.html)

vze2372e 03-23-2010 11:20 AM

Air Snorkels - The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY
 
So okay you know what my '10 Rubicon looks like - I am seriously considering, after traversing a river this past weekend, an air snorkel. Now not that I want to drive through water up to my door handles but let's face it, river beds can go from 2' to 4' in a second.

So I look at Quadratech - several snorkel solutions up to $550.00 - for a long plastic tube basically.

So the questions -

1. Do you have a snorkel
2. Manufacturer
3. Price, Quality, Fit and Finish, Ease of Installation
4. BAD THINGS YOU FOUND
5. Did you have to cut the fender?

I'm just curious and thinking of taking the plunge - no pun intended

Mombo

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs406...._7123062_n.jpg

whiteyj 03-23-2010 11:26 AM

So why not "tread lightly" as a responsible off-road enthusiast and NOT drive down river beds depositing oil and greases into the water? Eliminates the need for the snorkel. Sorry my environmental rant for the day.

JIMBOX 03-23-2010 11:45 AM

:rolleyes: For a dedicated overlander and expedition vehicle--a snorkel is a MUST, but

There are several different snorkel senarios

1)-The MALL snorkel-don't work, but looks good

2)-The bad air snorkel-works for dust/smoke/ash, but isn't sealed

3)-The water snorkel-clean/clear/filtered/SEALED (super seal), cause if it ain't and you go deep in water--BAM-hydrolock

So evaluate those criteria, if you want #3, you better be ready for CONSTANT MAINTENANCE-

Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

steam 03-23-2010 11:56 AM

A VERY BAD IDEA ARE SNORKELS!!!!!!!! The only real snorkel system I have ever seen is the Toyota unit used on 4 Runners in Africa. The kits you can buy here are just cheap imitations. Hummer snorkels are all steel and welded for strength. To cut up your engine hood and risk rust etc is not worth it.

vze2372e 03-23-2010 11:56 AM

Yes while I appreciate environmental rants, I am 45 and as green as green gets on my 145 acres of pristine land just above the Kancamangus Hwy so ... I would like to stick to the question - your assumption I'm not responsible because I hit water here and there really touches a nerve - I'll leave it there.

As for snorkels - yes, I want to avoid hydrolock, and that comes in many scenarios. Your comment about constant maintenance is interesting and one reason I chose to ask the group rather than *guess*

What is involved?

USAntigoon 03-23-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 579479)
So why not "tread lightly" as a responsible off-road enthusiast and NOT drive down river beds depositing oil and greases into the water? Eliminates the need for the snorkel. Sorry my environmental rant for the day.

I fully agree.
However reading up on some hydro-lock cases lately, I am left with the impression that the JK seems to be vulnerable, even by driving through a puddle of standing water on the road.. Or was there more to these stories the posters didn't want to reveal..

To the OP, there is more then just having a snorkel... what about the vent tubes..?

JIMBOX 03-23-2010 12:07 PM

;) I can't help you very much with the requirements/maintenance, I had a buddy who lost his CJ, in the Sierras above Gold lake, because he hadn't adequetly sealed his SNORK, after replacing the filter several weeks before the creek plunge

For me, it was too big a hazard, for THE LOOK and an infrequent dousing, so I don't have one and don't want one-I check the stream first, if there's any questions

If you want the SNORKEL--GOOD LUCK

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

vze2372e 03-23-2010 12:12 PM

blub blub blub ... more of a inquiry in the just in case category - nothing takes the place of using your brain. But then if everyone did, youtube wouldnt be half as funny. And yes I know about vents, but that's a whole other issue -

As for the JK being vunerable - I have heard the same but haven't proved it yet ;)

Geoff@Bestop 03-23-2010 12:21 PM

I'd recommend a good quality snorkel. ARB would be my choice, except that they only do TJ. Not sure who makes a good one for JK. Keep in mind that most JK owners are not yet at the stage where they're willing to chop into their vehicle, so the aftermarket is a bit more limited. This seems to be changing VERY fast.

Here's some interesting info from ARB's web site:

Quote:

Picture your vehicle at the end of a convoy on a dry, dusty road. As each vehicle before you stirs up dust and debris, your air filter is forced to contain the contaminants as your engine gasps for clean air. Now picture your vehicle entering a river crossing. As the front tires leave the embankment and the vehicle noses into the water, the air intake becomes incredibly vulnerable to water ingestion.

Anyone who has spent time in off road environments almost certainly would have experienced one of these situations, although a solution to the problem is rarely considered until costly engine damage has already occurred.

A Safari snorkel system relocates your engine's air intake point from the relatively low and vulnerable position under the hood to a much higher and safer location where a constant source of cool, clean, dry air is available.

Manufactured from premium quality polyethylene, Safari snorkels are incredibly resilient and UV stable. Install one before your next trip and breathe easier knowing that your engine is protected by a Safari snorkel.

Jp90Talon 03-23-2010 12:35 PM

I wish they made them for TJ's...

American Expedition Vehicles - JK Snorkel - 07+ Jeep Wrangler (JK) Snorkel

schnutzy 03-23-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 579537)
I'd recommend a good quality snorkel. ARB would be my choice, except that they only do TJ. Not sure who makes a good one for JK. Keep in mind that most JK owners are not yet at the stage where they're willing to chop into their vehicle, so the aftermarket is a bit more limited. This seems to be changing VERY fast.

Here's some interesting info from ARB's web site:

safari snorkel makes one. its listed on the ARB website under the JK vehicle application guide.

vze2372e 03-23-2010 12:48 PM

Well of course your right about chopping into the vehicle - amongst other things, rust would be my concern, not to mention resale value. Not everyone wants a giant black sex toy sticking out of their hood :rofl:

It's not like you can simply unbolt it

And the issue of who makes one - yea I have shopped around so no need to point out all the manufacturers, just the ones who through your experience make a good/great one for water crossing etc.

I'm weighing this one carefully for the same reason i haven't lifted it yet - the Rubi sits nice on 32's and the ride is decent as far as forklifts go, so until I need monster clearance (if ever) I may leave it unlifted - I know, BLASPHEME! :flipoff:

Kidding

Hilldweller 03-23-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnutzy (Post 579557)
safari snorkel makes one. its listed on the ARB website under the JK vehicle application guide.

True. The install is a pain though.

River Raider makes the most durable one and they also make breather tube relocation bits; that's necessary to make your Jeep a swimmer. One stop shopping. Pricey and a bit hard to install.

AEV has the snorkel that I like since I'd want one with a prefilter. I might be tempted to use an AFE dry element with that...
The install takes a bit of nerve but is fairly easy. Have a bodyshop do it and get a rust warranty if you like.

If you get the Safari or AEV, you still need to address breather tubes. And for some reason, water will still sneak into your diffs so change that splooge regularly.

Face it guys, no matter how lightly you tread, you still encounter water crossings.

These are legal roads around here:

YouTube - GaTR Holiday Ride River Ford

YouTube - Pilotjimmy leading ExPo New Year 2010 ride

OSUJEEPER 03-23-2010 04:07 PM

http://store.arbusa.com/Safari-Snork...6HF-P3464.aspx

Here ya go JK ArB snokel

Geoff@Bestop 03-23-2010 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by schnutzy (Post 579557)
safari snorkel makes one. its listed on the ARB website under the JK vehicle application guide.

I was wrong?
Attachment 17276

Hilldweller 03-24-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 579847)
I was wrong?
Attachment 17276

Another industry guy napping at the wheel.
At least you have your finger on the pulse of the hip crowd right here. :punk:

baker504 04-07-2010 10:10 PM

I hate to admit it, after 225,000 on my TJ, trading it in on a 09 Rubicon unlimited a couple of months ago... Just had another kid, so 1 car seat and 2 booster seats was all the TJ could handle... I picked my two oldest boys up and decided to spin through a local training area here at Ft Bragg... Water about 18 inches deep... speed about 15mph.. then bam... *$#@.. hydrolocked.. Ive been through the same place in the TJ hundreds of times and nothing... Now $500 deductable and new engine.. I would have never guessed it could happen.. Now im looking for a snorkle..

thaduke2003 04-09-2010 08:53 AM

Ok- instead of whining about the environment, I'll give you the straight dope from EXPERIENCE and recommendations.
I've SEEN (not heard of) JK's hydrolock in a not-so-deep (maybe 2-3') mud puddle with no snorkel. If you're like me (mud slut), and like to dive in face first into mud, and throw some up, you are at risk. Don't let anyone tell you different- the 3.8L will hydrolock if water looks at it hard. The OEM intake system doesn't have enough drain for anything but rain- add dirt (from mud, duh! :)) into the mix, and you can have issues.

As for the systems, if you wheel in off-camber situations, the ARB MAY (haven't seen it yet- this is from 2nd hand sources, I admit) rub- it's routed INSIDE the fender well, which is the main reason I wouldn't buy it. It's also routed fairly low the whole way through, which is increasing the chances of rock bash.

River Raider is all-aluminum and can be painted in a color of your choice (or you can paint it), and has been trail proven at Rausch Creek on Kenny's (the owner) own rigs. He's a straight-up guy who stands by his stuff, and has earned my respect for quality goods.

AEV tends to have the tops fly off at highway speed if you just follow their directions, so add additional bits to hold them on!! Got hit in the windshield by a pre-filter last Saturday at RC- not as much fun as it sounds- got a nice chip now :( Otherwise, it did its job admirably driving through deep water.

As for the environmental bit, I agree that you MUST be responsible, and be smart about where and how you wheel. However, I stick to dedicated off-road areas (RC, etc.), so I have ZERO qualms about wheeling in mud/water (considering everything was ruined at RC by coal miners anyway! :)). And the amount of oil released from a decent-condition vehicle is minimal- not much more than a heavy rain washes off anyway- Mark W.

blackforestgreen 12-13-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vze2372e (Post 579508)
Yes while I appreciate environmental rants, I am 45 and as green as green gets on my 145 acres of pristine land just above the Kancamangus Hwy so ... I would like to stick to the question - your assumption I'm not responsible because I hit water here and there really touches a nerve - I'll leave it there.

As for snorkels - yes, I want to avoid hydrolock, and that comes in many scenarios. Your comment about constant maintenance is interesting and one reason I chose to ask the group rather than *guess*

What is involved?

and all of us northerners are invited up when?????????????????

phottomatt 12-13-2011 10:11 AM

River Raider Expedition is my pick, its routed through the engine bay and I believe you can add a pre-filter to it as well. It has to heights which is nice up high for deep water and low profile for everyday water crossing.

SpoiledRotten 12-13-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAntigoon (Post 579513)
I fully agree.
However reading up on some hydro-lock cases lately, I am left with the impression that the JK seems to be vulnerable, even by driving through a puddle of standing water on the road.. Or was there more to these stories the posters didn't want to reveal..

To the OP, there is more then just having a snorkel... what about the vent tubes..?

Wouldn't you also have to consider the electronics (fuse boxes, etc.) that will need to be sealed well before taking the plunge? I've never been in water deeper than 33" (top of my tires), so that wasn't an issue for me.

nwbronco 12-13-2011 11:14 AM

It's all about how you enter the water. The JK airbox has the intake nozzle pointed directly up. It points toward the hood. If you bomb into any water, you stand the chance of water splashing up against the hood and into the nozzle. That's how folks running through a couple of inches of water managed to hydro lock their rigs. I don't like the design at all. My wife likes to bomb the puddles when she's behind the wheel, so I added a snorkel. Had to cut the hood, but it came out nice. Sealed the airbox where the tube enters it, so now I don't feel too bad when she's hitting the mud holes.

Bob K.

gluestick 12-13-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baker504 (Post 592804)
I hate to admit it, after 225,000 on my TJ, trading it in on a 09 Rubicon unlimited a couple of months ago... Just had another kid, so 1 car seat and 2 booster seats was all the TJ could handle... I picked my two oldest boys up and decided to spin through a local training area here at Ft Bragg... Water about 18 inches deep... speed about 15mph.. then bam... *$#@.. hydrolocked.. Ive been through the same place in the TJ hundreds of times and nothing... Now $500 deductable and new engine.. I would have never guessed it could happen.. Now im looking for a snorkle..

I had no idea that insurance would cover "off road" accidents as well. Is this typical for most policies?

kjeeper10 12-13-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gluestick

I had no idea that insurance would cover "off road" accidents as well. Is this typical for most policies?

:confused: I agree

Who's your insurance company?

strider_mt2k 12-13-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phottomatt (Post 1824286)
River Raider Expedition is my pick, its routed through the engine bay and I believe you can add a pre-filter to it as well. It has to heights which is nice up high for deep water and low profile for everyday water crossing.

My pick also in this catagory.
IMO the best looking and best design, but I'd like to see some more examples of 2012 installs. Not that I have aproblem with 'em I just want more info about it.

blackforestgreen 12-13-2011 06:29 PM

isn't chadwick the resident expert on water and jeeps?

Terex 12-13-2011 09:21 PM

Seemed to me that half the SUV's in Australia had them. This discussion makes me want to watch the snorkel scene in Dante's Peak. But that was a Suburban...

eton 01-11-2012 03:33 PM

I installed an AEV replica I bought off of ebay, extended all the breathers to the airbox, hose clamped everything, black siliconed all connections and the airbox because its definitley not water proof. I have pics up on the install, it was an easy job, about an hour to get the cutting and initial fitting done, several hours to extend the breathers! Its been hit multiple times offroad and still solid.

eton 01-11-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eton (Post 1911211)
I installed an AEV replica I bought off of ebay, extended all the breathers to the airbox, hose clamped everything, black siliconed all connections and the airbox because its definitley not water proof. I have pics up on the install, it was an easy job, about an hour to get the cutting and initial fitting done, several hours to extend the breathers! Its been hit multiple times offroad and still solid.

Also, remember not to push in clutch while submerged if you have a manual!

eton 01-11-2012 03:41 PM

Here's the install pics
https://m.google.com/app/plus/mp/665...by-activity-id


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.