Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   what do you think about engine/trans combo... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/what-do-you-think-about-engine-trans-combo-47363.html)

Jaydogg25 03-24-2010 02:23 PM

what do you think about engine/trans combo...

a co-worker has a old chevy g20 van he's willing to sell to me for a couple hundred bucks. at first he thought it had a 350. but after i was looking around i saw it's got a 5L in it so assuming it's a 305. looks like it has a 700r4 trans in it.

i was wondering what you all thought about this combo. i have the little 2.5 in my jeep, so i know anything will be a improvement. so think i should pick it up for a couple hundred or keep looking for a 350 and probably spend quite a bit more.

thanks for any input

Jaydogg25 03-25-2010 09:39 AM

no-one has any info/sugestions? almost thinkin of gettin it bc it's only a couple hundred bucks

windsoreight 03-25-2010 09:47 AM

Is it carb or FI? Nothing wrong with the 5.0. They do have issue with valve guides and seals with high mileage. Look for the blue smoke on cold start-up. I also think the 2wd 700R4 won't work for 4wd unless you change the output shaft.

Jaydogg25 03-25-2010 11:55 AM

it's a carb. i just dont know why i'm havin a hard time finding a 350 and a 7004r that they dont want a arm and leg for. most prices i'm finding from people i can almost buy new.

windsoreight 03-25-2010 01:37 PM

I would have to say the only way I would swap in a 305 or 350 would be if it were the later injected vortec motor. The older computer controlled carbed 5.0's are junk. I would look for a 87 up 4wd truck for cheap.

morphious 03-27-2010 08:40 AM

ooookay if u really want the junky 350 yeah go for the vortec. i hate those things they get great mileage but suck other wise. i would go for a old school mid 80's tbi 350, 305 if u were so inclined. they were strong and not that hard on gas. and u still get the off raod advantage of injection and as far as transmission if u are going auto then get the 700r4 its worth every Penney but get one that's before the electric shift. i cant remember when they switched from a all Manuel valve body.

Jaydogg25 03-27-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphious (Post 583212)
ooookay if u really want the junky 350 yeah go for the vortec. i hate those things they get great mileage but suck other wise. i would go for a old school mid 80's tbi 350, 305 if u were so inclined. they were strong and not that hard on gas. and u still get the off raod advantage of injection and as far as transmission if u are going auto then get the 700r4 its worth every Penney but get one that's before the electric shift. i cant remember when they switched from a all Manuel valve body.

have any sugestions then? from what i have been reading 350 seems like a very common swap. from what i have gathered, chevy 350, 7004r trans, ford 8.8 rear end, dyna 44 front (i thinks thats what it was). and i know all kinds of parts for a 350 are out there.

i haven't bought anything yet still looking up things, reading, asking questiong. my yj has the 2.5 w/ manual trans. and gearing is way off now....doesnt want to get out of own road. and forget about keepin up any speed up hill.

i just don't want to buy something now and have to replace it in near future. even though right now my YJ is a daily driver. i want to start a little off roading and work my way up from there.

it's nice having toys and all my bills now paid off...lol