Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

How to Paint Your Wheels Without Removing the Tire

20K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  jp'rs_peep'rs 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I've been wanting black wheels for a while but $350 was a little much... So I took Creation into my own Hands!

(I'm not sure were to put this permanently)

Heres the List:
Power Drill
Rust /paint removing brush-drill attachment
Primer
Your Choice of Wheel Color Paint :)
Clear Coat Finisher

First Step​
Clean the wheel like crazy. I used a power washer then brake cleaner, then the power washer again. Followed by using the drill and rust/paint removal device to get rid of all the surface imperfections. Then towel dry and let sit in the sun for about an hour.

Second Step​
Cover the whole tire with painters tape(or other tape if you prefer) and then cut out the wheel area so that theres a bout half a centimeter of the tire showing (to make sure that the paint gets on the outer edge of the wheel)
Also cover the valve with the tape if you want to, I did

Third Step​
Make sure that the wheel doesn't have any dirt or anything sitting on it. Now begin with the Primer, I did 3 coats, one every 30 minutes.

Fifth Step
Now for the color. I did 4 coats (1 every hour), 3 will probably work but I kept finding little spots that I didn't hit thick enough.

Final Step​
Apply the clear coat. I used 2 coats, 1 every 40 minutes

Afterwards, carefully remove all the tape, and admire your work! :D

Whatcha guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Another thing is to smear Vaseline or even Pam (so I've been told), or one of the gooey tire dressings on the tire, then the paint won't stick to it.

You should have removed the weights, and reapplied 24-48hrs after the paintjob...other than that looks great.

Lets see em on the Jeep! :)

#6 ·
Lets see em on the Jeep! :)
I only have one done so far :rofl: since I can't just jack up the Jeep and let the wheels dry for a day or two I have to swap around the spare until all 4 wheels are done.

I only want it to last through summer, after that I'll probably buy the other 4 cragar wheels.

As for the weights, I wasn't sure how to take them off

#14 ·
I recently painted my tube running boards that were chrome and it seems to be holding quite well. BUT!!!! I roughed up the chrome a good bit with some med/light sandpaper. And I also didnt use primer (...for some reason :/) but i've stepped on the paint and like i said, holds pretty good.

#15 ·
:p I didn't even realize this thread had come to life again

Hows this for 3 months of wear and tear + 2 off roading trips?

This is the only damage I've been able to find, I bent my rim during one of those offroad trips :rofl: :doh:

#17 ·
also a little faster way to paint something if you dont like all the tapping you can get an old glove and some grease and wipe it over whatever you dont want the paint to stick to and spray away wait till the paint is good and dry and hard goto the carwash and spray off the grease

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.