Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Ticking sound behind center dash (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/ticking-sound-behind-center-dash-47425.html)

mostlikely 03-25-2010 10:54 AM

Ticking sound behind center dash

Good morning Jeepers!

I have a constant ticking noise in the center of my dash As soon as I start the engine. It clearly is coming from behind the radio. I removed center dash cover and pulled the radio. I put my hand on the center duct leading up to the windshield and can actually feel it ticking. I am assuming this is the defrost vent, but not sure? I tried the ac, thinking it was the fan making the noise, but it seems to have no relation to it... I am wondering if there is a separate fan for ventilation under center top dash cap grill, if that made any sense? If anyone has had this problem, or knows what is causing it, please reply as this noise is driving me nuts...

Thanks in advance

knox 03-25-2010 11:21 AM

Mine does the same thing, but only at startup. It lasts about 1-2 seconds. I assume it is a relay, or a few relays inside the dash.

AzTJ 03-25-2010 06:20 PM

^ I'd have to agree with knox. Start up relays for someting turning off an on. But I'm not positive.

mostlikely 03-25-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox (Post 581600)
Mine does the same thing, but only at startup. It lasts about 1-2 seconds. I assume it is a relay, or a few relays inside the dash.

That does make sense! Unfortunately it continues for about 15, 20 minutes but then it stops. So, yeah that makes a lot of sense! Thanks... I am going to have to look deeper into that.. Basically I'm looking at a switch relay that could be anything from the turn signals to lights etc... I have noticed that my turn signal light comes on at times for no apparent reason... It must be electrical... I really appreciate your advice...

mostlikely 03-25-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 581993)
^ I'd have to agree with knox. Start up relays for someting turning off an on. But I'm not positive.

Thanks and I agree with knox as well. I have also recently notice my instrument cluster malfunctioning at times. Sometimes the speedometer and tac stop working and then they are.. I removed that and noticed one of the two female adapters in the dash look kind of funky. So I am assuming it is a bad connection there causing that.

njkeagle 03-25-2010 08:51 PM

Funny cause I have a chirping/whistling sound behind the radio. I believe it's when the heat is on but I am not sure.

mostlikely 03-25-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njkeagle (Post 582148)
Funny cause I have a chirping/whistling sound behind the radio. I believe it's when the heat is on but I am not sure.

It's always something right! But I love solving problems.. I just read this on another thread about my Gauge cluster problem and will give it a try..

I had the same problem. All you have to do is take off the gauge cluster and clean the connections with q-tips and alcohol. Fixed the problem.

In older jeeps I have read that the heater blower can actually cause a fire because of , well I will just give you the link..

Jeep Fire Prevention, Jeep Fire Prevention - Retardant, Jp article, 4x4 article

desertdood 03-26-2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njkeagle (Post 582148)

Just pray to God that you don't have a pack rat back there. They're bad on Wrangler wiring down here.

knox 03-26-2010 09:56 PM

I would actually check the grounds to the relays. If if was not getting power to actuate it, then it wouldnt click at all.

Vanimal00000 03-26-2010 10:23 PM

Consult your local bomb tech! Sorry I just had to.

Samsrubicon 03-26-2010 10:57 PM

hey most, i have the same noise, but mine happens when i turn the car off, if you have a cd player, start it up with a cd in it then when the noise starts eject the cd the noise should go away if its the same noise that i got.

mostlikely 03-28-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox (Post 583059)
I would actually check the grounds to the relays. If if was not getting power to actuate it, then it wouldnt click at all.

Thanks Knox.. As it turns out there is a small black box right below the steering column. There was a loose connection to that box and problem solved.....I have not found exactly what that box is yet, but I am assuming it is a relay as you said....