Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   TJ "Squealing" Noise from front fan area - Video (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/tj-squealing-noise-from-front-fan-area-video-474849.html)

curlysfries 01-09-2014 03:23 PM

TJ "Squealing" Noise from front fan area - Video
 
I have a 2002 Jeep wrangler x 4.0 112K miles, manual. When I start my engine I get this odd noise which I call "squealing" from the front area near the fan. I can't tell where its coming from or whats causing it. Jeep runs fine otherwise and it happens mainly when its cold outside.

Any assistance of what this might be would be greatly appreciated. Ive included a small link with video of engine and noise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gw48j0fnz1x75u/IMG_0384.MOV

Thanks

Oldjeeper69 01-09-2014 03:57 PM

Sounds like your idler pulley.

Xjman1 01-09-2014 06:59 PM

Just removed my belt to check my pulleys as I have a similar noise. Turn out I my tensioner pulley is noisey and has some play in it too. Guess what I am doing this weekend.
With 130k on the clock, it is due anyways the way I use my Jeep.

curlysfries 01-09-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xjman1 (Post 7318033)
Just removed my belt to check my pulleys as I have a similar noise. Turn out I my tensioner pulley is noisey and has some play in it too. Guess what I am doing this weekend. With 130k on the clock, it is due anyways the way I use my Jeep.

Thanks. Seems like a pulley issue

CTX-Ross 01-09-2014 11:37 PM

Did my water pump recently. Almost every pulley on the jeep is trashed... Idler, Tensioner, and A/C (water pump was about gone). They squeal and make the same noise. Idler is like $25 tops

Xjman1 01-11-2014 10:32 AM

15 minute job and allies silent again. Once pulleys were off you could spin the old ones in your hand and feel as well as hear the grit in the old bearings.
I did have to go return the idler pulley and swap out for a Dorman unit as the first on would not seat properly.

Tomreb77 01-11-2014 07:40 PM

Idler. And change your belt while your at it. Easy to do, couple hours for someone like me a newbie. Good luck.

Tys98tj 01-11-2014 11:28 PM

Mine had a similar noise. I hadnt cleaned my engine bay in forever so I sprayed the mud off of the fan and it went away

harryhood 01-12-2014 09:32 AM

Agree with those who say it sounds like an idler pulley. it's easy enough to check; pull the belt and remove the pulley, and spin the pulley on your finger. If the pulley does not spin smoothly it's bad.

curlysfries 01-12-2014 07:48 PM

Thanks all. Will check pulleys as soon as I figure out how to take belt off.

Majnoon 01-12-2014 08:11 PM

You stick a 1/2 inch ratchet or breaker bar into the square on tension arm release pressure remove belt. Like dis.

Jaws1206 01-12-2014 08:21 PM

Tighten your slack adjuster. Should fix the problem.

Majnoon 01-12-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws1206 (Post 7393041)
Tighten your slack adjuster. Should fix the problem.

Not sure what year they got rid of that. See you got a 97. Mines a 2000. Don't have it. Poster fill out your profile please. :) edit: profile helps see its a 2002 in your post should be no slack adjuster. Good idea though Jaws.

Jaws1206 01-12-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majnoon (Post 7393217)
Not sure what year they got rid of that. See you got a 97. Mines a 2000. Don't have it. Poster fill out your profile please. :) edit: profile helps see its a 2002 in your post should be no slack adjuster. Good idea though Jaws.

It was worth a try. Sorry. Good luck! Just went off roading in the snow here in NH and loved it. Happy Jeeping!

NH-JK 01-13-2014 03:41 AM

I just replaced my tentioner pully with one from autozone. It was about 12.00 bucks. There are two that pop up for the 1997 4.0, yours maybe different... One pulley is small the other is bigger in there system, you will need the bigger one. I bought both and matched them to the old tentioner pulley, it was the bigger one, which is cheaper!

CTX-Ross 01-13-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH-JK (Post 7401217)
I just replaced my tentioner pully with one from autozone. It was about 12.00 bucks. There are two that pop up for the 1997 4.0, yours maybe different... One pulley is small the other is bigger in there system, you will need the bigger one. I bought both and matched them to the old tentioner pulley, it was the bigger one, which is cheaper!

You didn't have to replace the whole tensioner assembly? I went after a new one bc the bearings are bad in it and they said I have to buy the whole assembly and not just a new pulley.

tj04 01-13-2014 08:51 PM

mine does that when there is cold weather….Once the jeep is warm it stops


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.