Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   A question on the new Defroster Switch I installed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/a-question-on-the-new-defroster-switch-i-installed-47798.html)

bcbaker4399 03-30-2010 12:38 PM

A question on the new Defroster Switch I installed

Hi - I just completed installing the HardTop Wiring kit from JeepsAreUs. Everything seemed to work well. For the defrost switch, they had me tap into an Orange wire from the switch on the heat/cooling bezel, with an orange wire. This is supposed to illuminate the light on the switch.

The light stays lit, even with the TJ off. Is this normal? Is there a way to shut this off? Did I wire it wrong?

For those of you that added the Hard top harness to a soft-top factory equipped, is it normal?

Thanks.

Brian

bcbaker4399 03-31-2010 07:10 AM

Someone out there must have added wiring to a Factory SoftTop, for a HardTop. Is there a relay, other than the HBL relay I added to the relay box, to add a timer for the defroster to shut off?

Neil F. 03-31-2010 07:55 AM

I installed the kit on my 03. The light should only come on when the circuit is energized. Pressing the switch should turn it on. There is a ten minute timmer for it to automatically shut off or pressing the button again will shut it off. The circuit should turn off when the vehicle is turned off.

bcbaker4399 03-31-2010 10:53 PM

Neil F, what did you route the supplied orange wire into? The Mopar instuctions showed using an orange wire bundled to the connector on the Heating/AC Center Switch. That wire was orange, with Blue striping. When I used that wire, the defroster switch was on all the time, and I could not shut it off by pressing it again, or even shutting off the engine. That orange wire I used must have been the problem? Or the HBL Relay wasn't working? I'm not sure what to point to as the problem.

Thanks.

Brian

Neil F. 04-01-2010 08:08 AM

To tell you the truth I don't remember what wire I tapped into. It was a few years ago. I had already had done some wiring in the dash for my indiglow gauge face and I'm thinking I may have used that tie in. When doe the light come on and not shut off? When you turn the vehicle on of after pressing the switch? If it is not shutting off after pressing the switch and 10 minutes have gone by, it sounds like the timer circuit. If it is sutting off after 10 minuted burt not by the switch, it sounds like the switch.

bcbaker4399 04-01-2010 08:16 PM

As soon as I re-connected the battery, the light on the Defroster lit right up. Didn't even need to start it. Pressing the button had no effect, and turning off the TJ also had no effect. So, I disconnected it. Like it was a direct connection to the battery.

Ideas?

zurzero 10-09-2010 09:33 AM

bcbaker4399 did you got your wiring hardness working? I need help with the wire color green and orange and green and white, is the last step of the hardness installation. They go to the defrost power but I dont know where, my defrost switch lights up but no power to the defrost in the back, also the orange light on the defrost switch won't light up. Thanks