Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Death Wobble? Little Confused! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/death-wobble-little-confused-47822.html)

adawg38 03-30-2010 06:52 PM

Death Wobble? Little Confused!

Ok I have seen the stickeys and know about Death Wobble. But this is confusing me. On my stock 06 when I put on 245/75R16 BFG's with Soft 8 wheels at 45mph I hit DW so I installed a Pro Comp Steering Stabalizer with my BB and it went a way. I don't know how many miles are on the stabalizer right now but it's a bit. I recently swapped my 245/75R16 BFG's with Soft 8's for the same but in 31X10.50R15's due to the 10lbs less per wheel and tire combo and for about 4 days I got a slight wobble at 50mph. Today when slowly deaccelerating from 50mph to 45mph the whole thing shakes like it is gonna fall apart. Do the wheels and tires have anything to do with it? or is my stabalizer just so cheap and crappy it's a coencidence that it starts wearing out with the swap?:9lame:

Jerry Bransford 03-30-2010 07:03 PM

A new stabilizer is never (!) the cure for DW. It might help suppress the symptoms for a while but a steering stabiliizer is kind of like a skinny guy trying to hold a gorilla down. It may work for a while but eventually that gorilla is going to get up again when the skinny guy gets tired.

Imperfectly balanced tires are the most common root cause of DW, often in combination with the front trackbar not being rigidly held to the axle on the passenger side so it absolutely cannot move. The trackbar can move from the bolt not being tight enough or its mounting bolt hole being wallowed out from the bolt being loose for too long.

I would make sure the track bar is mounted TIGHT on its axle end, that have your tires perfectly balanced. Tell the tire monkey that "good enough" for tire balance isn't going to be good enough, that they need to be balanced to 0-0 which is perfect.

If that doesn't do the trick, I'll be surprised but there are more things to try after this.

Also, I hope your front axle's toe-in adjustment is right on. :)

adawg38 03-30-2010 07:11 PM

Alright, I'll have the balance checked first and the torque. I have never messed with the front track bar but I will check that also thanks.

pollux.troy03 03-30-2010 07:16 PM

I had a shake in my jeep going 50-60mph and i thought it was my tires, had them rebalanced and it was still there, posted my problem alot of people on the site gave me there thoughts so i took there advice and found out it was my rear Drive Shaft u-joint, so check everything that they tell u and check your u-joints..

blacksport 03-30-2010 10:18 PM

I guess I have the skinny guy holding up alot of weight. I fixed my wobble at 45 with a ranco 5000 stabilizer from advanced auto. Its been 10k miles and no problems. If it starts it again, then I'll look at it.

Vanimal00000 03-30-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksport (Post 586524)
I guess I have the skinny guy holding up alot of weight. I fixed my wobble at 45 with a ranco 5000 stabilizer from advanced auto. Its been 10k miles and no problems. If it starts it again, then I'll look at it.

It still could be wobbling but your stabilizer is masking it so you don't feel it. I would check to make sure everything is tight and in order underneath.

Jerry Bransford 03-31-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksport (Post 586524)

Once again, a stabilizer does not cure DW, it only suppresses the symptoms. It's like putting a band-aid on a skin cancer.

Your Jeep should be able to run without a steering stabilizer and not experience DW. A stabilizer is not there for that purpose. So while you might think it fixed your DW, it did not... it's only suppressing the symptoms and the real problem is still there. Like painting over rust and proclaiming the rust is cured because you no longer see it.

There are a lot of reasons and possible cures for Death Wobble but none of them include the steering stabilizer. Really. :)

RatherBNarizona 03-31-2010 01:38 AM

balance your tires and make sure they are aligned