Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

What GPS do you have?

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  jquinn83 
#1 ·
What GPS are you using and were did you mount it?

Thanks……………:)

#3 ·
my android phone you can download gps trail maps with elevation and a bunch of other stuff for free that a regular gps has

#6 ·
I have replaced my Garmin nuvi 255W with a nuvi 2555LMT, which I attach to the windshield with the standard suction cup mount, with the screen located just above the instrument panel. I have an optional Garmin self-adhesive mounting plate to attach the suction cup mount to the dashboard if I can find a place to put it that is as functionally useful as it's current location.

#8 · (Edited)
Be aware that for offroad use, most GPS receivers are next to useless. Most automotive GPS systems get very upset when you go offroad, they are often not programmed for anything but paved roads.

And also, few can store trails that you have done. It's a key feature of offroad oriented GPS receivers that they can store "breadcrumb" trails you drove where you can name and save them for future use. Many trails I've done that were lead by others where I named and saved the trail into my GPS for future use. The early NUVI GPS receivers I've seen couldn't do that, maybe the newer models can.

I use an older Garmin GPS 60Cx which does everything I could possibly need for offroad use. It has an older cursor-based interface that is a little clunky at times but its other benefits more than make up for that.

If I ever get the $$$, I'll probably buy a used iPad & velcro it to my dash & use it as a GPS. A friend did that with his TJ and it is a sweet setup for offroading. We can easily download trails to it which makes it pretty easy to use.

Lastly, I have several GPS programs in my Android phone but even the larger Android displays are not ideal for offroad use where you want to be able to read it while on a bumpy trail. I rarely use my Android offroad. Also be aware that many Android or Apple GPS products won't work where there is no cell coverage. Since most of my offroading takes place where cell coverage is miles away, my Android GPS programs don't work. Only one of the three Android GPS programs I have works when there is no cell coverage, needing only the satellites as a true GPS receiver relies on.

#10 ·
Thanks, Jerry
I have been using a Garmin nevi 1490 and my hand held gps.
I down loaded a off road map of the area we jeep in most of the time on my Garmin, but it’s hard to do a go to on it. My hand held works great but it’s hard to see when you are driving. The nice thing about the hand held is you can grab it when you jump out of the jeep.

Thanks for everyones information.:happyyes:

#13 ·
I use a Garmin 76CSx. It's older by today's standards. It supposedly floats, but I haven't tested that. It uses AA batteries, so no replacement issues there and battery life is pretty good. I can always carry spare batteries no matter what I'm doing. I use it for fishing, hiking, ATVing, hunting, travel, driving directions and of course off-road Jeep expedition use. I download waypoints for the trails I frequent if possible, or make my own waypoints. I machined/fabricated a homebrew mount to attach it to the A-pillar of my custom front roll cage. I installed the biggest memory card possible, but the big downside to that is the once you load a crapload of maps on it, the device is sluggish and slow to process commands. It also doesn't talk to you...just beeps. Works fine for my multi-purpose needs though!

#14 ·
I run a Garmin Rino 530. It is a handheld unit, that also doubles as a walkie. Very very nice, I bought a window mount and car charger. I use it for wheeling, mtn biking (handle bar mount) hiking and just overall goofing. I also keep an older Rino 120 in the Jeep to loan to buddies if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.