Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   MSD Plug Wires worth it? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/msd-plug-wires-worth-it-48055.html)

BigRed 04-03-2010 01:06 PM

MSD Plug Wires worth it?

I'm doing a tune up on my 97 TJ and just got the Champion copper plugs and decided I ought to replace plug wires too. (75k miles and no idea when/if the previous owner changed them).

So I was wondering if the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires like this: MSD Ignition 32239 - MSD Spark Plug Wires for 91-98 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & Cherokee XJ with 6 Cylinder - Quadratec are worth the expense. I've had MSD ignition systems in other vehicles and really liked them, but didn't know if they are worth it in my Jeep.

(These wires can be found for a little cheaper locally it looks like.)

So, is MSD worth it, or should I go with Mopar or other wires?

solo97tj 04-03-2010 03:42 PM

i up graded my 97 TJs wire but i went with summits 8.2mm wires when i did my tune up i used all mopar parts cap,rotor button,and plugs but the summit wires were cheaper they work great

obidya 06-26-2012 11:53 AM

did you end up going 8.5mm?
I was just looking at this set amazon and wondering the same thing, is it worth the extra expense. I am also wondering if that set needs the tower connectors the description says it might

jasongind 06-26-2012 11:58 AM

For a stock 4.0 I don't think it would be worth it. Just use the OE and spend that money on an upgrade you'll really use.

Heavy_Metal 06-26-2012 07:36 PM

From a Ford Lightning person, that still runs strong under 15 pounds of boost. Yes, the MSD wires are the stuff!

If you are still having issues, look deeper.

Mike W

Heavy_Metal 06-26-2012 07:41 PM

My stock wires are doing fine since 2006. Unless you are mud racing your Jeep, once a week. Again, look elsewhere for the issue. Don't take off a great pair of wires!

If you do, save them,

Mike W

Heavy_Metal 06-26-2012 07:42 PM

And sell them to me!

Jerry Bransford 06-26-2012 09:05 PM

MSD makes good ignition systems but their plug wires are no more desireable than the OE factory ignition wires are. In fact, I'd rather have the OE wiring because of its truly superb quality... which MSD has too but for more $$$.

The thing about spark plug wires that is so misleading is all the gizmo ignition wire manufacturing companies push their wiring's lower resistance. Lower resistance sounds good, right? Wrong. Resistance is actually added to the wiring on purpose, at greater expense, to eliminate spark noise that not only creates static in AM and CB radios, but it can interfere with the engine computer.

Not to mention that the added resistance has a negligible effect on the voltage that gets to the spark plugs. There is so little current (amperes) passing through the spark plug wires that the added resistance doesn't drop a significant amount of voltage. What reaches the spark plug gap is still way more than what is needed to easily fire the spark plug. For those who understand Ohm's Law, you'll get what I'm saying. E=IR is the Ohm's Law thing.

So, really, there is no reason to go for so-called "high performance" igition wiring because there really is no performance gain/reason to go further than the long-lasting high quality OE wiring. Reallly. :)

Heavy_Metal 06-26-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2517696)
MSD makes good ignition systems but their plug wires are no more desireable than the OE factory ignition wires are. In fact, I'd rather have the OE wiring because of its truly superb quality... which MSD has too but for more $$$.

The thing about spark plug wires that is so misleading is all the gizmo ignition wire manufacturing companies push their wiring's lower resistance. Lower resistance sounds good, right? Wrong. Resistance is actually added to the wiring on purpose, at greater expense, to eliminate spark noise that not only creates static in AM and CB radios, but it can interfere with the engine computer.

Not to mention that the added resistance has a negligible effect on the voltage that gets to the spark plugs. There is so little current (amperes) passing through the spark plug wires that the added resistance doesn't drop a significant amount of voltage. What reaches the spark plug gap is still way more than what is needed to easily fire the spark plug. For those who understand Ohm's Law, you'll get what I'm saying. E=IR is the Ohm's Law thing.

So, really, there is no reason to go for so-called "high performance" igition wiring because there really is no performance gain/reason to go further than the long-lasting high quality OE wiring. Reallly. :)

Obviously you have been there and done this! :punk:

Mike W

Heavy_Metal 06-26-2012 10:16 PM

My offer still stands.