So you're thinking of joining the Navy...
How To Simulate Being A Sailor"
1. Buy a steel dumpster, paint it gray inside and out, and live in it
for six months at a stretch.
2. Run all the pipes and wires in your house exposed on the walls.
3. Repaint your entire house every month.
4. Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of the
bathtub and move the shower head to chest level. When you take
showers, make sure you turn off the water while you soap down.
5. Put lube oil in your humidifier and set it on high.
6. Once a week, blow compressed air (or use a leaf blower)up your
chimney, making sure the wind carries the soot onto your neighbor's
house. Ignore his complaints.
7. Once a month, take all major appliances apart and then reassemble
8. Raise the thresholds and lower the headers of your front and back
doors so that you either trip or bang your head every time you pass
9. Disassemble and inspect your lawnmower every week.
10. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, turn your water heater
temperature up to 200 degrees. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, turn
the water heater off. On Saturdays and Sundays tell your family they
use too much water during the week, so no bathing will be allowed.
11. Raise your bed to within 6 inches of the ceiling, so you can't turn
over without getting out and then getting back in.
12. Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a
curtain. Have your spouse whip open the curtain about 3 hours after
you go to sleep, shine a flashlight in your eyes, and say "Sorry, wrong
13. Make your family qualify to operate each appliance in your house -
dishwasher operator, blender technician, etc. Re-qualify every 6
14. Have your neighbor come over each day at 0500, blow a whistle so
loud Helen Keller could hear it, and shout "Reveille, reveille, all
hands heave out and trice up."
15. Have your mother-in-law write down everything she's going to do
the following day, then have her make you stand in your back yard at
0600 while she reads it to you.
16. Submit a request chit to your father-in-law requesting permission to
leave your house before 1500.
17. Empty all the garbage bins in your house and sweep the driveway
three times a day, whether it needs it or not. Have someone repeat
loudly, "Now sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms, give the ship a
clean sweep down fore and aft, empty all S**t cans and butt kits over
18. Have your neighbor collect all your mail for a month, read your
magazines, and randomly lose every 5th item before delivering it to you.
19. Watch no TV except for movies played in the middle of the night.
Have your family vote on which movie to watch, then show a different
one. Repeat the same movie several nights in a row.
20. When your children are in bed, run into their room with a megaphone
shouting that your home is under attack and ordering them to their
battle stations, shouting, "Now general quarters, general quarters, all
hands man your battle stations!"
21. Make your family menu a week ahead of time without consulting the
pantry or refrigerator.
22. Post a menu on the kitchen door informing your family that they are
having steak for dinner. Then make them wait in line for an hour. When
you finally get to the kitchen, tell them you are out of steak, but they
can have dried ham or hot dogs. Repeat daily until they ignore the menu
and just ask for hot dogs.
23. Bake a cake. Prop up one side of the pan so the cake bakes
unevenly. Spread icing real thick to level it off.
24. Get up every night around midnight and have a peanut butter and
jelly sandwich on stale bread. (Call this "Midrats".)
25. Set your alarm clock to go off at random during the night. At the
alarm, jump up and dress as fast as you can, making sure to button
your top shirt button and tuck your pants into your socks. Run out into
the backyard and uncoil the garden hose.
26. Every week or so, throw your cat or dog in the pool and shout "Man
overboard port side!" Rate your family members on how quickly they
27. Put the headphones from your stereo on your head, but don't plug
them in. Hang a paper cup around your neck on a string. Stand in front
of the stove, and speak into the paper cup "Stove manned and
ready." After an hour or so, speak into the cup again "Stove secured."
Roll up the headphones and paper cup and stow them in a shoebox.
28. Make your family turn out all the lights and go to bed at 2200,
saying, "Now taps, taps! Lights out! Maintain silence throughout the
ship!" Then immediately have an 18-wheeler crash into your house (for
the benefit of aircraft sailors).
29. Build a fire in a trash can in your garage. Loudly announce to your
family, "This is a drill! This is a drill! Fire in hangar bay one!"
30. Place a podium at the end of your driveway. Have your family stand
watches at the podium, rotating at 4 hour intervals. This is best done
when the weather is worst. January is a good time.
31. When there is a thunderstorm in your area, get a wobbly rocking
chair, sit in it and rock as hard as you can until you become nauseated.
Make sure to have a supply of stale crackers in your shirt pocket. ALT:
Find the biggest horse you can, put a 2-inch mattress on his back, and
strap yourself to it. Turn him loose in a barn filled with snakes for
six hours and try to sleep. Then get up and go to work.
32. For former engineers: bring your lawn mower into the living room and
run it all day long.
33. Make coffee using eighteen scoops of budget priced coffee grounds
per pot; let the pot simmer for 5 hours before drinking.
34. Have someone under the age of ten give you a haircut with sheep
35. Sew the back pockets of your jeans on the front.
36. Add 1/3 cup diesel fuel to the laundry.
37. Take hourly readings on your electric and water meters.
38. Every couple of weeks, dress up in your best clothes and go to the
scummiest part of town. Find the most run down, trashiest bar, and
drink beer until you are hammered. Then walk all the way home.
Hah, I'm glad I was in the Air Force. :D
haha, i like it.
Nice! I'll be sure to forward this to Jon! :rofl:
Haze gray and underway! The list is quite realistic! Now, turn to - commence ship's work!
I liked the cake one!
Ha! I thought the Navy gets the gravy and the Army gets the beans.
haha and this is why the naval life is not for me..
Glad I was in the Army...... :D
Jeez Jerry it has been 56 years since I got out of the Navy and had ALMOST forgotten what it was like.!:eek: And then you reminded me:banghead::D It was a memorable time but they called that the "old Navy!":doh:
My dad loved it. He was in the Navy from 65 to 69. Did his time at Patuxent River NATC repairing jet engines.
I have a buddy who was stationed on the USS Kittyhawk for about 3 years...he seemed to enjoy it yet hate it with a passion at the same time. lol
I'm just seeing this today! Entirely accurate!!
One to add:
Every day at 1700, pass the word to set material condition Yoke. Have the family shuffle around and close doors and windows and then come out to the garage to sign the list saying they closed everything. Pass the word again every 10 minutes until 100% have signed the log.
Man, this list reminds me of stories my dad tells. USS Thomas Edison Nuke Sub. I'll have to forward this to him, he'd get a kick out of it.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.|
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.