Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Bigger Tires (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/bigger-tires-48155.html)

LSUFAN15 04-05-2010 08:50 AM

Bigger Tires
 
I'm currently shopping for my first Jeep, a 2010 Unlimited Sahara. I'd like to have the dealership swap the stock Sahara 18 inch wheels and tires for a set of 17 inch wheels with bigger tires. Could anyone tell me if I could run a set of 32 inch BFG all terrains without having to add a lift or any other upgrades? I may make some other upgrades later, but for now I'd just like the biggest tires that I can run completely stock. Thanks guys!

InfernoGirl 04-05-2010 08:55 AM

Pretty sure 32's are good on a stock JK. Someone else who is positive will chime in soon. But I believe 32's are stock on Rubi's so you shouldn't have a problem.... Congrats on your new purchase! Jeeps are a blast! Look at what's on the lot if they have a Rubi and that will give you your answer for sure.

GroceryGrabber 04-05-2010 08:55 AM

32" is good. A 33 will fit but you'll rub a little off-road without a lift.

CruserBruiser 04-05-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroceryGrabber (Post 590370)
32" is good. A 33 will fit but you'll rub a little off-road without a lift.

GroceryGrabber is correct. however your wheel diameter does not affect overall tire height.

mdnky 04-05-2010 10:39 AM

The biggest tire you can run completely stock (no spacers, aftermarket rims) is a 255/80-17 (255/85-16) with no rub @ full articulation with the front swaybar disconnected. That's a 33.3" x 10" tire. The Rubicons and X/Sport models with 17" group all run a 255/75-17 (32.0" tall.)

Anything wider than 255 or 265 (10-10.5") will require either spacers or wheels with a backspacing of 4.5" to 5".

OSUJEEPER 04-05-2010 10:46 AM

There are alot of people running 265/75/16 with no problems. That is the sive tire I will be going with, and from everything I have read i will not have rubbing issues.

OSUJEEPER 04-05-2010 10:47 AM

Search posts by hilldweler, that is what he is running i think and he had no issues before he lifted.

daggo66 04-05-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSUFAN15 (Post 590367)
I'm currently shopping for my first Jeep, a 2010 Unlimited Sahara. I'd like to have the dealership swap the stock Sahara 18 inch wheels and tires for a set of 17 inch wheels with bigger tires. Could anyone tell me if I could run a set of 32 inch BFG all terrains without having to add a lift or any other upgrades? I may make some other upgrades later, but for now I'd just like the biggest tires that I can run completely stock. Thanks guys!

Both the stock Sahara and the stock Rubicon are 32" tires. :confused:

Hilldweller 04-05-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 590461)
Both the stock Sahara and the stock Rubicon are 32" tires.

Yes; the Rubicon has real tires on 17s though and the Sahara has minivan tires on 18s.

I first ran 265/70-18 General Grabber AT2s on the stock wheels. What a mistake. Wretched tire for life in Georgia; caked with mud and tried to kill me. Even worse on our type of icy snow.

Then I bought 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and ran 285/75-16 MTR/kevlars; I also regeared to 4.56 gears to spin them.
Worked fine until I added bumpers and a winch --- so I put in springs from an unlimited with tow package. Sag gone.

Now I've added a Teraflex 2.5" spacer lift with the shocks and other goodies; the tires are 255/85-16 BFG KM2 tires --- 12 pounds lighter than the Goodyears. They work a bit better but there's just something about them I don't like...

Next tires will likely be Cooper Discoverer STTs in a 285/75-16 ---- 10 pounds lighter than the Goodyears but just as big and evil.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...arlman/030.jpg

InfernoGirl 04-05-2010 12:57 PM

I've read that Coopers run short..... Just so you know. :D

yj-genral 04-05-2010 12:59 PM

hilldweller i love your jeep. add two more doors and thats what i want for my jeep :D

so your running 285/75-16 MTR/kevlars or 255/85-16 BFG KM2's currently?? which do you like better? the kevlars look more steetable but the km2s are just BEEF! notice a difference on the street/dirt?

Hilldweller 04-05-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yj-genral (Post 590489)
hilldweller i love your jeep. add two more doors and thats what i want for my jeep :D

so your running 285/75-16 MTR/kevlars or 255/85-16 BFG KM2's currently?? which do you like better? the kevlars look more steetable but the km2s are just BEEF! notice a difference on the street/dirt?

I've got the KM2s now; they do work better in the mud. The Wranglers handled better on the highway (less drift) but the KM2s are lighter and feel better on twisty 2-lanes. Wranglers were oodles better on rocks and weird angles; KM2s better on washboard.
Choices, choices. There's no perfect tire.

I-Girl ---- what'dya mean by run short? Not last long? Or not a full 33"?
I don't mind a short lifespan if they grip like gecko feet...

InfernoGirl 04-05-2010 02:51 PM

I mean they don't measure up to 33" is what I've read..... take it for what it's worth;) I've had different Coopers on my Raider and a 'Burban and liked them fine.. Never run the STT's but they look bad azz :)

LSUFAN15 04-05-2010 11:26 PM

Thanks guys. I agree with Hilldweller... I don't really need the 18" flashy stock rims and thinner tread tires on the Sahara... I'd rather run smaller rims with bigger tires. I honestly probably won't be doing a ton of off-road driving, but it'll be nice knowing that I can if I want to. The dealership is supposed to be putting together a package to swap the stocks for my 17" XD Series Hoss black rims and 32" BFG K/O all terrains. I'll hopefully be able to get it built and ordered tomorrow.

Hilldweller 04-06-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 590598)
I mean they don't measure up to 33" is what I've read..... take it for what it's worth;) I've had different Coopers on my Raider and a 'Burban and liked them fine.. Never run the STT's but they look bad azz :)

Cooper makes most of the boutique brands like ProComp, D!ck Cepek, Micky Thompson, etc. The STT usually is taller than Goodyears and BFGs ---- usually 1/32" more tread all around too.
I've got a buddy who swears by them so I'll give them a try. I usually bail from tires early anyhow.
I like to experiment...

jtoc 09-22-2010 02:28 PM

I'm new to the Jeep. I have a 2010 Jeep Unlimited Sport with those nasty 16 inch factory wheels and rubber. Okay, I'm on a budget!

I want to beef the tire size up a bit, but I have no idea what will fit and look good. I want an off road look, a little bigger, some descent rims/wheels.

Should I go 17"? will it work? what's involved?

Should I stay 16" there fine? Just get new rubber and rims in 16"?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hilldweller 09-22-2010 02:34 PM

I guess I'm partial to 33s on 16s with 4.5" backspacing....
Best overall economy of purchase that I found while still maintaining performance.

And here it is with the Cooper STTs; they do measure exactly 33" on the spare and exactly 32" compressed/mounted on the Jeep.

Almost 5000 miles and I gotta say that I love'em.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lman/002-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...014_crop-1.jpg

Ronin 09-22-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
I guess I'm partial to 33s on 16s with 4.5" backspacing....
Best overall economy of purchase that I found while still maintaining performance.

And here it is with the Cooper STTs; they do measure exactly 33" on the spare and exactly 32" compressed/mounted on the Jeep.

Almost 5000 miles and I gotta say that I love'em.

That's a nice look! I'd like to do something like that as well. I have a sport with the 3.21 gearing. Would this need to be re-geared if I did sonething similar?

J.H. 09-22-2010 08:06 PM

From what i know, up to 33" you don't have to regear.

InfernoGirl 09-22-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 783616)
That's a nice look! I'd like to do something like that as well. I have a sport with the 3.21 gearing. Would this need to be re-geared if I did sonething similar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.H. (Post 783972)
From what i know, up to 33" you don't have to regear.

You don't ever Have to regear. It just gives you back some of the power you loose when you upsize tires. If you don't mind the power loss, it's not a problem...

Rude Robert 12-16-2012 03:49 PM

how much power loss is there


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.