Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Removing doors with aftermarket power windows (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/removing-doors-with-aftermarket-power-windows-48326.html)

johny84 04-07-2010 11:58 AM

Removing doors with aftermarket power windows
 
Hello all,

Need some HELP please...
I have a 99 TJ with aftermarket power windows installed. Now, I want to remove my doors but cant because they are wired to the car for the power window operation.

Would like to get some advice for a solution to this problem that does not involve removing the power window system..

Thank You!!

woodsballnc 04-07-2010 12:00 PM

You could add some connectors between where the wires and the door meet so you can take them off every time.

HyperBuzzin 04-07-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsballnc (Post 592312)
You could add some connectors between where the wires and the door meet so you can take them off every time.

This is about the only option you have.
An electronic store/Radio Shack would most likely have any kind of connectors to make it easy to plug/unplug yet still be as reliable as could be.
I would guess there is already a fuse somewhere in the system, but if you can't find one, IMO, it would be a good idea to add one.

MCG 04-07-2010 12:05 PM

What about some quick conectors?

http://www.action-electronics.com/grc/ces321010.jpg

woodsballnc 04-07-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCG (Post 592317)

Yep should be easy to do.

T-BONE N BIXBY 04-07-2010 12:12 PM

Was this done by the PO? Do you still have the window cranks on the door panels? And are they still funcional.
If I was you, I'd ditch that crap and go back to using a tiny ounce of elbow grease to raise and lower your windows by using the hand crank.
It's not a 4 door vehicle, nor is the cockpit very wide. You should be able to reach accross the passenger side and easily roll up/down your passenger window with ease.
I'm sounding kinda rude, but I'm not meaning to be. I just find it strange that a TJ has power windows or that a jeep owner actually wants to have that on their doors that are made to be removed.

johny84 04-07-2010 12:48 PM

Thank you all for the quick response! Is there a way to upload some pictures here ? I have never done any wiring and would like to show you what im dealing with...

as to Mr. T-BONE IN BIXBY, No need to go all fanatic on me.. The power windows were installed by a previous owner 10 years ago, and 3 years before i bought the jeep. I do not have the cranks nor do i know if any of it is functional so it just made good sense to stay with the power system. Until now anyway..

MCG 04-07-2010 01:15 PM

Jeep Wrangler Forum -> Community Forums -> WF Site Help & Support
This Is How To Post A Pic

Follow that path and there is a step by step. :)

T-BONE N BIXBY 04-07-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny84 (Post 592345)
Thank you all for the quick response! Is there a way to upload some pictures here ? I have never done any wiring and would like to show you what im dealing with...

as to Mr. T-BONE IN BIXBY, No need to go all fanatic on me.. The power windows were installed by a previous owner 10 years ago, and 3 years before i bought the jeep. I do not have the cranks nor do i know if any of it is functional so it just made good sense to stay with the power system. Until now anyway..

As I said above, I know it sounded rude, but not towards you. That's why I asked if it was from a PO, figuring it was. This is the only site I come to when I need help as you are needing now. I sure don't want to burn any bridges with the fine people on here!!! Good luck on getting your issue fixed!!!:)

johny84 04-07-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-BONE N BIXBY (Post 592375)
As I said above, I know it sounded rude, but not towards you. That's why I asked if it was from a PO, figuring it was. This is the only site I come to when I need help as you are needing now. I sure don't want to burn any bridges with the fine people on here!!! Good luck on getting your issue fixed!!!:)


Thank You!

johny84 04-08-2010 06:43 AM

I have 4 wires going into the pass door , 2 for the window and 2 for the lock. But at the driver side door, I seem to have 2 wires going to the windows and six to the lock . Does that make sense ? which connectors do I need to use ?

Images:

this is the PASS SIDE DOOR.. 2 wires to the window engine and 2 going towards the locks:

[IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...8042010365.jpg[/IMG]


this is the DRIVER SIDE DOOR wires going only towards the lock (there are 2 more going to the window not seen in the pic)

[IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...8042010361.jpg[/IMG]

ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ....

chucky cheese 04-08-2010 06:56 AM

I don't think you would have enough room in the jam for connectors.

JimmyJazz 04-08-2010 07:15 AM

I had the same problem, wanted to remove the doors but i have power locks. I made some connectors six months ago, took me half an hour. (The connector is near the door limiter strap). No problem ever since

johny84 04-08-2010 07:31 AM

can you explain how to do that ?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.