Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Door locking Mechanisms, door innards. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/door-locking-mechanisms-door-innards-48595.html)

Renegade 04-11-2010 03:39 PM

Door locking Mechanisms, door innards.
 
Both my door locking mechanisms in the doors (full steal doors) are slowly deteriorating. If I lock the doors, its a 50/50 shot that they will unlock whether inside, or with the key outside.

I have taken apart the door/panels etc and played around with them. Everything looks okay, but I can tell this was a problem with the previous owner as there is a zip tie around one of the pieces, as well as paint chipping on the jaw/claws where it locks on the jeep frame. I w-d40 everything and cleaned it all up, but...

So, I figured, I'd rather just get some piece of mind and buy new innards and replace the entire mechanism. However, I cannot find a place that sells all the parts.

Any suggestions? Or are the cheap from the dealership?

Thanks,

Harrson 04-11-2010 03:54 PM

I had the same problems with my steel doors, and on the advice of someone on this board, I opened up the door and gave the locking and handle mechanisms a healthy shot of WD-40. Worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.

Renegade 04-11-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrson (Post 595518)
I had the same problems with my steel doors, and on the advice of someone on this board, I opened up the door and gave the locking and handle mechanisms a healthy shot of WD-40. Worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.

well that's cool, i did that already, I'm just worried it will continue.

Harrson 04-11-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 595521)
well that's cool, i did that already, I'm just worried it will continue.

I haven't done anything else yet and mine's still working (it's been several months).

That being said, I'll probably open it up again and spray the mechanism down with an actual lubricant at some point.

Renegade 04-11-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrson (Post 595523)
I haven't done anything else yet and mine's still working (it's been several months).

That being said, I'll probably open it up again and spray the mechanism down with an actual lubricant at some point.

okay sweet, you may have saved me a few bucks.

white91yj 04-11-2010 08:15 PM

funny (not really) I have this problem on the one I just bought. So I took the door apart today and found 2 tie wraps on the door release rod. The part the rod clips into has already been bastardized in its previous life, so I'm hoping parts are available from Jeep. Just need the part numbers.

Renegade 04-15-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white91yj (Post 595739)
funny (not really) I have this problem on the one I just bought. So I took the door apart today and found 2 tie wraps on the door release rod. The part the rod clips into has already been bastardized in its previous life, so I'm hoping parts are available from Jeep. Just need the part numbers.

If you find out the part numbers, let me know.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.