Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   YJ Renegade Tire Size... I need new ones... but bigger! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/yj-renegade-tire-size-i-need-new-ones-but-bigger-48806.html)

1991 Wrangler YJ Renegade 04-14-2010 10:23 AM

YJ Renegade Tire Size... I need new ones... but bigger!

Ok, so i just got a '91 YJ Renegade... (I think the wheels on a renegade are wider? i'm new so instead of critisizing me, please help!) This is my first jeep, hell, It's my first car in general!

So, as i was saying it needs new tires... But I want BIG tires, not too big though, since it is only my daily commuting car, will go off-road a little bit, but not too much cause I live in south florida and am more of a beach bug! So, I want tires on it that make it look big and bad that will fit with no modifications, but I also don't need anything crazy big, but I want it to look good (cause I've seen some wranglers with crap small tires and it looks HORRIBLE!)

and I'm looking to spend about $100-$120 per tire (am i being cheap? but on a 16 yr old's salary... you know what i mean)

So I think right now it has something like 285/70R15 or something like that, and it doesn't look bad, but I was wondering if I could go a little bigger? If not, I will get the same, but I want her to be a beast!

So, what model, size, whatever, do you recommend for her?

Thanks!

birdhunter 04-14-2010 10:28 AM

I would guess you have 235s The biggest
you can have are 30/9.5/15
with no mods

Thuone 04-14-2010 10:36 AM

31"x10.5"x15" I think is the biggest you can go with no mods and it will be tight at least this was the biggest I could go on my 87. Read the side of your current tire and see what the width is you may be able to go wider without rubbing I'm not sure. I have 31"x12.5"x15" wide tires on mine but I put a 3" body lift on it. Check out Tires, Truck & SUV Off Road and Mud Tires, Lowest Price on Mud, Off-Road Tires. This is where I got the best deal for my tires. I would buy them online then have a tire shop put them on. They will pry charge about $75 buck to put all 4 on.

whiteyj 04-14-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdhunter (Post 598082)
I would guess you have 235s The biggest
you can have are 30/9.5/15
with no mods

Yeah in looking around there isn't anything in a 285/70x15....found 265/70x15's but with very limited options.....Dunlop Radial Rover AT @ $109 on line plus you'll still have +/- $20 per wheel for mount & balance.

Yes, you can stuff 31x10.50x15's into the wheel wells but the minute you hit a driveway or speed bump you'll be tearing up your fender flares. Throw an inexpensive set of tires on for now and save your pennies for the lift and bigger rubber at some point in the future.

4Jeepn 04-14-2010 11:19 AM

30x9.50's are what it came from the factory with and at the time where the biggest tires on a production YJ. 31's might fit as you have bigger fender flares but at the same time they might cause more issues.

ashevilleyjmike 04-14-2010 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to have Dunlop Mud Rovers on my YJ while it was stock. The size was 30 x 9.5 x15. They looked skinny, but pretty burly even without a lift at the time. They are listed for $122 at tirerack.com.