Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   1.75 Spacers Installation Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/1-75-spacers-installation-question-48827.html)

MCG 04-14-2010 03:27 PM

1.75 Spacers Installation Question

Hello people.

I'm planning on do this on the weekend of the 24th.
What I'm looking is any advice, suggestion, tips or if there are any special tool that I need to use?
I'm planning also in change the bump stops since mine are all dry and falling apart.

Thanks in advance!!!
:wavey:

adawg38 04-14-2010 03:36 PM

Just make sure to rent a coil spring compressing tool from your local auto parts store if you don't already have one. The rest is a sinch as long as you don't have all your bolts rusty as hell.:punk:

You'll have to remove the old bump stops anyway to get the spacers in.

MCG 04-14-2010 04:26 PM

Thanks adawg.
I thought that I have to take apart or loose all the front suspension components and then with the floor jack lift the jeep and then the spring will come out easy.

Thanks,
I’ll add the spring compressing tool on my checking list.

NVRDLMO 04-14-2010 05:00 PM

You don't really need those. You put jack stands under the frame disconnect shocks and sway bar links, use a floor jack to compress one spring then tie the spring with rope or I used 1" wide zip ties(about 8 each). remove spring,replace bump stop, place spacer and spring back then repeat on other side. Springs can be dangerous so be sure what ever you use to compress them that they stay compressed. Good luck :punk:

Beachcomber 04-14-2010 05:05 PM

This is the best discription of how to do the installation. I used it to do mine. You don't need a spring compressor.

Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost Installation Write-Up for Jeep TJ

adawg38 04-14-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCG (Post 598382)
Thanks adawg.
I thought that I have to take apart or loose all the front suspension components and then with the floor jack lift the jeep and then the spring will come out easy.

Thanks,
I’ll add the spring compressing tool on my checking list.

You still got to disconnect the front sway bars and shocks but thats no big deal and in the rear disconnect the rear trac bar and shocks. The rear the springs will come right out mine did in the front with some love but putting the spacers in I needed the spring compressor. Then when you remove the bump stops put the spacers in and reinstall the bump stops. Maybe that's a tad more helpful sorry bout that. That's how I did my lift without instructions but maybe Beachcombers link has an easier installation.

doclouie 04-14-2010 08:42 PM

If I remember correctly you will also need a bit torx bit for the front sway bar links. A long pry bar is also helpful I mean like 4-5 feet long.

03 RUBI 04-14-2010 08:44 PM

Agree with Beachcomber 100%. That link is exactly how I did mine. Piece of cake!

MCG 04-14-2010 08:46 PM

Any Idea how long it will take me?
just to let you know I do averything to my Jeep, I kind of know what I'm doing.
I'll start on Friday night and I hope to get it done By Sunday.
Thanks again.

03 RUBI 04-14-2010 08:56 PM

Barring problems, you should be driving it by Saturday nite. Then again there's the old saying "If something can go wrong it will". Good luck.

adawg38 04-14-2010 09:18 PM

Took me about 1/2 a day. Keep the beer for the after celebration though don't need it to take longer than it should lol!

MCG 04-14-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adawg38 (Post 598583)
Took me about 1/2 a day. Keep the beer for the after celebration though don't need it to take longer than it should lol!

Thats very important my friend!!!!!!!
I almost forgot the Beer either for the celebration or for the frustration!!!:rofl: