Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Finding Sweet Spot in Transfer Case (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/finding-sweet-spot-in-transfer-case-48884.html)

bpm54 04-15-2010 10:57 AM

Finding Sweet Spot in Transfer Case

As a new jeeper, one thing I've found, at least in my case, is shifting between 4H and 4L with my 04 Rubicon and be kind of tricky. According to the manual it states coast at 1 to 2mph and make the shift, however when I do so I usually get massive grinding of gear teeth.

And if I stop completely, I'm unable to make the switch unless I pop the clutch a little.

I'm not saying that I can't get it in gear from 4H to 4L moving, or vice versa 4L to 4H, but I find I have to be practically stopped to do so.

Is this just a matter of time and usage finding the sweet spot for the transfer?

The grinding kind of concerns me since, grinding of gears can't be a good thing.

I've driven a stick all my life, so , not like it's my first time at the rodeo here.

Jerry Bransford 04-15-2010 11:04 AM

A dead-slow crawl works best for me, perhaps your 1-2 mph is just too fast. I'm going so slow when shifting into 4Lo that if I slowed any more I'd be stopped. I hope I'm not wasting my time again here. ;)

jdhallissey 04-15-2010 11:08 AM

I can put into 4lo going like 10 mph it doesn't like it I don't recommend it but it has happened lol. Like jerry said just a crawl. TW jerry I got your back in the tire pressure thread :D

bpm54 04-15-2010 11:09 AM

Jerry, I'm a frist time jeeper. Think of me as a "jeep cherry" so no advice is bad or wasted advice, as far as I'm concerned!

bpm54 04-15-2010 11:11 AM

But about the grinding, not a good thing, right?

pokey 04-15-2010 11:17 AM

x3 on the barely rolling. I've also put mine into 4 lo while completely stopped (soft sand kinda hard to barely roll). I know the manual says not to do this but it slipped into low no problem from a stop. Maybe Jerry can educate us as to how bad this might be.

By the way bpm, the first few times I got a grind also. I wouldn't worry about , just try not to.

IslandTJ 04-15-2010 11:18 AM

1-2 mph is too quick to mesh cleanly IMO. I usually can shift to 4LO when I just about come to a dead stop.

IslandTJ 04-15-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey (Post 599187)
I've also put mine into 4 lo while completely stopped (soft sand kinda hard to barely roll). I know the manual says not to do this but it slipped into low no problem from a stop.

I don't think it's a problem, I've been shifting like that in my Jeep since I bought it in 1997 and I never had any issues with my transfer case.

Jerry Bransford 04-15-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm54 (Post 599181)
But about the grinding, not a good thing, right?

Grinding is never a good thing but the usual small amount of grinding that can happen when shifting into 4Lo is not going to really hurt it.

bpm54 04-15-2010 11:29 AM

Breathing a sigh of relieve here...

And Jerry and JD please go read my lastest post about tire psi.