Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   odd squeaking whistle while driving (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/odd-squeaking-whistle-while-driving-489073.html)

tallzdatank 01-18-2014 05:14 PM

odd squeaking whistle while driving

coming from front end area. typically only above 15mph it comes and goes but doesn't get worse when I turn. driveshaft u joints? or pinion bearing?

Ole4Cyli 01-18-2014 05:39 PM

Probably u-joint. Does it get worse or go away when in 4wd?

tallzdatank 01-18-2014 09:29 PM

haven't tried. ill check that in the morning and get back to you.

SlackAttack 01-18-2014 10:44 PM

Sounds like U-joint. I had a similar issue.

tallzdatank 01-22-2014 06:39 PM

so the squeaking turned to a rough vibration on my way home from work today. so rough that I got out in the rain and removed the front driveshaft on the side of the road. ive got an appointment for Friday at 1 to have the u joints replaced as well as a few other things. will I do any damage to the t case to drive it in 2wd 20 miles round trip to work tomorrow with no front driveshaft on it? it got me the last mile home tonight with no noise or issue but I'd rather make sure

Majnoon 01-22-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallzdatank (Post 7643233)
so the squeaking turned to a rough vibration on my way home from work today. so rough that I got out in the rain and removed the front driveshaft on the side of the road. ive got an appointment for Friday at 1 to have the u joints replaced as well as a few other things. will I do any damage to the t case to drive it in 2wd 20 miles round trip to work tomorrow with no front driveshaft on it? it got me the last mile home tonight with no noise or issue but I'd rather make sure

No damage at all. You can drive around like that as long as you want.

tallzdatank 01-22-2014 06:56 PM

thanks man that makes me feel better. ill get it fixed Friday a jeep with only 2wd is the least practical car in the world.

Majnoon 01-22-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallzdatank (Post 7643545)
thanks man that makes me feel better. ill get it fixed Friday a jeep
with only 2wd is the least practical car in the world.

Yes it is! For future reference you can pull back shaft and just drive around in 4WD which becomes FWD if the back shaft fails. Happy 2wding!

tallzdatank 01-22-2014 07:32 PM

thanks man I always thought that would work

stumpbuster 01-23-2014 08:38 AM

you have the ability/knowhow to pull yer front shaft on the side of the road in the rain but cant replace the joints in the shaft yourself at yer own leisure?
sorry that's weird to me cuz pulling the front shaft in general is a pita.

well glad yer getting stuff figured out eitherway

tallzdatank 01-23-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumpbuster (Post 7654993)
you have the ability/knowhow to pull yer front shaft on the side of the road in the rain but cant replace the joints in the shaft yourself at yer own leisure?
sorry that's weird to me cuz pulling the front shaft in general is a pita.

well glad yer getting stuff figured out eitherway

its not that I can't its that I'm having tires rotated and the front diff seals replaced, so they said while its there they'll do the u joints for nothin but parts. so instead of crawling in the dirt again to put it back in ill let them do it in their shop.

tallzdatank 01-23-2014 06:51 PM

so i looked at the driveshaft again in the light, turns out I broke the inner part of the cv joint. need a new driveshaft. woo hoo. parts wont be here till Friday.