Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Jeep photographers, photographers in Jeeps (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/jeep-photographers-photographers-in-jeeps-49050.html)

flash19901 04-18-2010 12:59 PM

Jeep photographers, photographers in Jeeps

Well, I may be new here but I have been a film photographer for about twenty years now. I have my trusty Minoltas but I have been shooting pretty much exclusively with an old B&J 4x5 Press camera for the past two years. I process my own negs and make my own prints.

Any other photographers herein? Lemme hear ya.

Kate 04-18-2010 01:09 PM

I like to "dabble" it it a bit.
Has been a hobby for, oh... since back in the day when people still used film ;)

I've taken a couple of classes but somehow the technical part never quite stuck in my head so I am grateful for digital now. I can shoot a hundred and keep a dozen without having to pay for developing.

My first digital camera was a Sony, used a floppy. It was the berries back then.
Next was an Olympus E-10. Damn good camera. You could count the freckles on a ladybugs nose when you did macros with it.
I now use an Olympus E-500. It was a complete waste of money, but I can't afford to replace it. The image quality just isn't there. Consequentially, I have actually lost interest in many ways.

For the trail, I use an Olympus 1030SW. It's great in that it takes stills and video, is shock, water and dust resistant and carrys well on the trail.
The image quality isn't exactly what I would call excellent, but for a sports minded camera, it's pretty good.

My favorite photos are people and macros. I love to get in close and pick up the little details that mother nature hides from us and capture those moments that nearly escape. WHen children aren't watching, it's the coolest thing to photograph them.

Like, my grandson Nick.
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...raphy/sips.jpg

flash19901 04-18-2010 01:38 PM

Very Nice. I have one with my daughter throwing a bucket full at my son's head while he's in the pool.

No direct URL so here's the link.

Gotcha

ryt2112 04-18-2010 02:05 PM

I almost always use my Canon 5d - trail or city. Usually with the standard 28-135 IS lens or my 50mm 1.4 lens.

I got hooked into photography a long time ago when my dad bought his first AE-1. Since then I have gone through many cameras, both Nikon and Canon, but have ended up staying with my 5D. Although, I think it will be time to go to the 5D mk2 pretty soon.

I'm no pro by any means, but I love to do it.
Feel free to look through my Flickr in the sig line :)
One of my favorite shots - from my 08 Tokyo trip:
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...d73e6d59_b.jpg

RatherBNarizona 04-18-2010 03:20 PM

I do it as a hobby, most of my photos are automotive
I do try nature and outdoor shots, and am trying to become more skilled in night shots.
(if you don't like cars, you won't like my Flickr haha)
Flickr: McAbee's Photostream

NeitherFanboy 04-18-2010 03:45 PM

I "dabble" a little too ... digital all the way.

One of my shots:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2792/...cd8ed56e6e.jpg
And one of me:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/...af74f6341b.jpg

Dare2BSquare 04-18-2010 05:40 PM

I have a Canon 10D. Tons of grandkid pics and travel photos. Leaving in about 6 weeks for Greece and Italy. Should find some good opportunities!

amy 04-18-2010 06:53 PM

I used to always have my camera with me, taking some pretty good photos. Then I had kids and couldn't afford film and developing. :D I've tried several digital cameras but my Dad's old Cannon AE-1 is still my favorite.

Welcome to WF, Flash. :wavey:

jpdocdave 04-18-2010 08:55 PM

i am jealous, i'd love to keep using 35mm slr cameras, and develop my own negs. its too expensive and time consuming to take them to get developed these days, and half the fun now is uploading anyway, i can't afford a digital slr, or don't want to afford, i picked up a couple 35mm slr's on ebay a couple years ago for next to nothing just to have them since my first pentax got stolen.

paul66 04-18-2010 09:06 PM

I shoot a Canon 1Ds Mark3 and do mostly nude and glamour photography for a living, I'd post a few but would probably get banned HA HA

foxinthemudd 04-18-2010 10:21 PM

No photography but I do a little "Buff" photography modeling :flipoff:

MCDavis 04-19-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxinthemudd (Post 601698)
No photography but I do a little "Buff" photography modeling :flipoff:

People actually want pictures of your little "Buff"? :confused: :p

Dare2BSquare 04-19-2010 09:50 AM

I got the Canon 10D when my son-in-law upgraded to a 5D. I am hoping that he will want to upgrade again soon. I would love to have the 5D when he is done with it.

flash19901 04-19-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy (Post 601491)
Then I had kids and couldn't afford film and developing. :D I've tried several digital cameras but my Dad's old Canon AE-1 is still my favorite.

That's why I started developing my own black and white. Just trying to find time around the family is kind tough sometimes. But the family comes first. And I ADORE the avatar. My wife just said that will be her next tat.

flash19901 04-19-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 601603)
. . . I picked up a couple 35mm slr's on ebay a couple years ago for next to nothing . . .

So, what do you have?

amy 04-19-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash19901 (Post 602557)
That's why I started developing my own black and white. Just trying to find time around the family is kind tough sometimes. But the family comes first. And I ADORE the avatar. My wife just said that will be her next tat.

My Dad was trained, by the Army, in photography, developing and hand colorization, after WWII. I was 6 years old before I found out his camera wasn't part of his face. :D But by the time I came along he was out of developing.
It's always interested me.

I get a kick out of Hello Kitty in unexpected settings. This is my favorite avatar though...
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ashnikitty.jpg

If your wife does get Pirate Kitty as a tat, I hope you'll post pics. :D

foxinthemudd 04-20-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCDavis (Post 602022)
People actually want pictures of your little "Buff"? :confused: :p

Top Dollar! Litterly a dollar on the top of the stack...:D :bottom:

Actually I do a little photography, scenery. I used to have a great shot of the ocean hitting the rocks with a gull flying under the mist. lost that pic years ago though, an ex decided to use it as a lighter... I'll see if I can find one I shot recently for you guys, not the greatest but...

yj-genral 04-20-2010 10:05 AM

i used to be into alot more when i was in college and had an old 35mm fully manual minolta from my dad and a cannon with that new fangled film... i forget the size, all automatic and did panorama pics... did my own dev. on neg, and photos when i took a course in college but then after i graduated both cameras got stolen in a burglary at my new place and have had point and shoot digital since then... i wish i still had the manual minolta and maybe a digital slr... i love doing macro shots, the detail is always so much fun.

MCG 04-20-2010 11:39 AM

After almost 12 years in film and 8 years using my Nikon F100 finally I change to digital world.
Film takes to much time and $ now.
I think my life is easier with digital.
Once u know everything on 35 mm u are more than ready for digital.

flash19901 04-20-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCG (Post 603066)
Once u know everything on 35 mm u are more than ready for digital.

I gotta take exception with that. A minor one, albeit, for discussion sake.

I got into film photography originally because, well, there was no consumer digital photography in the early eighties. So, it was all that was available. Then with the advent of digital photography I had my dream setups that would set me back about 9 large. And we're talking about the crap (by today's standards) that was available about 2001. But now, I have become so accustomed to film photography that I cannot imagine using anything else.

But here is my exception. I have thought long and hard about this. Photography is the act of recording a projected image (reflected light) onto a light sensitive material (be it silver or silicon) and, if applicable, be exposed to a chemical reaction in order to produce an image.

Well, exposure is pretty basic. You learn to follow the Law of Reciprocity. You then learn when the Zone System. You then learn when and how to break the rules to get things to pop. You learn how to set the camera to make a photographic negative/file.

And there the similarities stop. I got my wife a Rebel xT for Christmas a couple of years ago and sat down one day to play with it. I have no clue what white balance is. I could not explain the difference between shooting in RAW or JPG or GIF or OMG or ROTF. And put a digital photographer into a wet darkroom and they might start by putting the film into the fixer first. Or load exposed film onto a spool in broad room light so they could see what they're doing, not knowing.

I think that film photography and digital photography are two completely different animals. I have been perfecting my film photography for over twenty years now. And I think it would take at least ten years in order to acheive the same mastery over digital capture.

flash19901 04-20-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy (Post 602700)
If your wife does get Pirate Kitty as a tat, I hope you'll post pics. :D

You better beleive I will. I might just get one too.

foxinthemudd 04-21-2010 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
not my best work, but it will have to do for now...:crash:

paul66 04-21-2010 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a "clean" one for ya

Geoff@Bestop 04-21-2010 02:01 PM

http://cdn.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1271871716

Yachats?

MCG 04-21-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash19901 (Post 603615)

I got into film photography originally because, well, there was no consumer digital photography in the early eighties. So, it was all that was available. Then with the advent of digital photography I had my dream setups that would set me back about 9 large. And we're talking about the crap (by today's standards) that was available about 2001. But now, I have become so accustomed to film photography that I cannot imagine using anything else.

But here is my exception. I have thought long and hard about this. Photography is the act of recording a projected image (reflected light) onto a light sensitive material (be it silver or silicon) and, if applicable, be exposed to a chemical reaction in order to produce an image.

Well, exposure is pretty basic. You learn to follow the Law of Reciprocity. You then learn when the Zone System. You then learn when and how to break the rules to get things to pop. You learn how to set the camera to make a photographic negative/file.

And there the similarities stop. I got my wife a Rebel xT for Christmas a couple of years ago and sat down one day to play with it. I have no clue what white balance is. I could not explain the difference between shooting in RAW or JPG or GIF or OMG or ROTF. And put a digital photographer into a wet darkroom and they might start by putting the film into the fixer first. Or load exposed film onto a spool in broad room light so they could see what they're doing, not knowing.

I think that film photography and digital photography are two completely different animals. I have been perfecting my film photography for over twenty years now. And I think it would take at least ten years in order to acheive the same mastery over digital capture.

Well I still lerning the white balance and all forms of shooting in diferent formats, but when it comes to understand photography, light, color, exposure , ISO,etc, the 35 mm experience comes very handy.
:rolleyes:

NeitherFanboy 04-21-2010 03:54 PM

I shot film when I was younger, and poorer, and could not afford darkroom equipment. And paying for developing is expensive! And the cost of film! With digital, I shoot RAW, can take over a 1000 shots on my current memory cards, and "develop" my own shots. Only way to go, in my book.

I shoot with a Sony Alpha A900. (Great shot, Paul66)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3627/...88314b9e38.jpg

Kate 04-21-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash19901 (Post 603615)
Try as I might, I never could get the hang of that! It frustrated me beyond words.

And there the similarities stop. I got my wife a Rebel xT for Christmas a couple of years ago and sat down one day to play with it. I have no clue what white balance is. I could not explain the difference between shooting in RAW or JPG or GIF or OMG or ROTF.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Yea! Me either! I have a camera with a PHD.
A button that says Push Here Dummy! For those times when I just can't seem to get it straight in my :blunt: empty head.

flash19901 04-21-2010 08:43 PM

Ah, do I detect an NYIP influence in the PHD remark? Just curious.

jspeer1130 04-21-2010 09:13 PM

Another fellow Jeeper Peeper (IE Jeep Entusiast with a passion for Photography).

I'm definately not very good at it yet, but I am working on getting experience and knowledge to run a side business for professional photography. I shoot with a Canon Rebel XS, stock lens and a Canon 85MM F1.4 that's perfect for those portrait photos. I have a website that I have put together with a small sampling of my work for anyone who may be interested.
* - Home

For now I am doing a lot of family portrait/senior portraits for little to nothing just to get the experience and grow as a photographer as I know I still have a LOT to learn.

paul66 04-21-2010 09:21 PM

Thanks Neitherfanboy :)