Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   beer drinkers. starter beer? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/beer-drinkers-starter-beer-49231.html)

pking911 04-20-2010 04:25 PM

beer drinkers. starter beer?

Legal disclaimer: must be 21 to read this thread. if not 21, please avert your eyes while reading. (LOL)

I am looking for a good starter beer. Serious.

I typically drink mixed drinks and will generally try just about anything. I am looking for that good starter beer! (I should take a picture of my crown bag collection, probably over 100 now)

I am not a beer guy and probably can't tell one from another. (oo this has more hops and is darker or a lager and tastes better, etc etc)

Yup, hot summer time on the lake, I have been known to have a bud or 2 (hey they were free at a BBQ). I have drank Killians, Miller, and a few local type brewskis. But I am looking for that one where I can take a 6pack to the lake and relax and have a drink.

Any suggestions? (southerner BTW, keep in mind that your local beer may not be available)

AzTJ 04-20-2010 04:26 PM

Fat Tire or Sam Adams Light.

:wavey:

ryt2112 04-20-2010 04:30 PM

I would agree with AZ - both of those would be very nice to start with.

One thing I would suggest though, don't be afraid to try a sip of someone's dark beer either. Sure, it can be something it takes a while to appreciate, but you never know - you may like it :)

AzTJ 04-20-2010 04:32 PM

^ True. Also check out some of the local bars that feature local breweries. They usually have some distinct local tastes that you may like even better.

pking911 04-20-2010 04:33 PM

I used to hate beer, but now I can drink it no problem. I just haven't developed a taste for it per say.

I'm pretty sure we have Sam Adams locally, not sure about Fat Tire. I heard friends talk about that one before though.

I will give it a try. Thanks

RatherBNarizona 04-20-2010 04:34 PM

we start with the cheap stuff... and end with the cheap stuff :D

I like PBR, XX, Blue Moon...

ryt2112 04-20-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pking911 (Post 603446)
I used to hate beer, but now I can drink it no problem. I just haven't developed a taste for it per say.

I'm pretty sure we have Sam Adams locally, not sure about Fat Tire. I heard friends talk about that one before though.

I will give it a try. Thanks

Fat tire used to only be had in the Colorado area, but you can now find it in a lot of grocery stores. I know the Dominics near me has it. The quality has changed since it is now pasteurized (tasted a little different when it was still a really small product) but it is still really good.

nick50471 04-20-2010 04:37 PM

Michelob Ultra is another you might try. SamAdams is very good.

pking911 04-20-2010 04:38 PM

hey Nick, are those pheasants in your avatar? looks like a good day.

CMEvans79 04-20-2010 04:41 PM

I started out with BudLite Lime, then went to Bud Light, Bud Select and Budweiser from time to time ... I too used to only drink mixed drinks, but a good Bud Light draft when Im out to dinner is just fine!

MCDavis 04-20-2010 04:42 PM

6 pack of Schlitz Malt Liquor...start with The Bull, and you'll be able to drink ANYTHING afterwards! :D

Michelob Ultra is very mild...try one.

nick50471 04-20-2010 04:50 PM

Yep a bunch of South Dakota Ringnecks.

nick50471 04-20-2010 04:52 PM

just finished a tall ice cold Fosters.

AzTJ 04-20-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 603474)
just finished a tall ice cold Fosters.

*shudders* Bad memory. :zap::banghead:

MCG 04-20-2010 04:59 PM

Land Shark

AzTJ 04-20-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCG (Post 603483)
Land Shark

YouTube - BMW Commercial "Landshark"

:rofl:

Geoff@Bestop 04-20-2010 05:41 PM

FIFO beer is my choice.

It stands for "first in, first out." So I usually start with the one in the front of the fridge.

A story: I had a friend in college who was a big beer drinker. Hell, he was a drunk. His hands shook until he had a few beers.

Anyway, one Saturday afternoon he went to one of those bars that features "beers of the world" and gives you a little punch card - once you've had one of each of their beers they give you a t-shirt.

Evidently late that night he stumbled up to the bar and said "god, I do not know how anyone could finish this challenge. I've been here all day, I drink a lot of beer, and man, I'm only two thirds of the way through this stupid punch card."

The bartender took a while to explain that he wasn't supposed to finish the 101 beers in one visit, and that he could come back again. I think my buddy was disappointed to learn that, since that was not much of a challenge.

McGridDLe 04-20-2010 05:47 PM

well, i agree with him, thats not much of a challange. but way to play like a champ and try to tackle the whole thing at once lol.

Here we're all about keystone, I don't know if its available where you live but its cheap and its smooth.. thats our party beer lol. and its not too bad to scrub off the ping pong table :D

KDirty87 04-20-2010 06:08 PM

If you can get it in your area then I would suggest Yuengling. Blue Moon is also pretty good!

cavediverjc 04-20-2010 06:20 PM

Boulevard Wheat, Blue Moon, Kalik, LandShark Lager, Corona, Guinness, New Castle, etc. Hell, a starter beer for me is just the first 5 or so....... :D

Jeepillac 04-20-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pking911 (Post 603430)
But I am looking for that one where I can take a 6pack to the lake and relax and have a drink.

Any suggestions? (southerner BTW, keep in mind that your local beer may not be available)

You can never go wrong with a Corona while on the water.

Vanimal00000 04-20-2010 06:37 PM

The first time I had a Guinness I fell in love. Also, Smithwicks, Harp, New Castle are all very good. As stated above, Fat Tire is good stuff. There are so many goo brews out there, you just kinda need to sample them all... when you go to a bar just ask for a sample and they'll give you a little bit, maybe two gulps. Of course it'll have to be on tap. If it turns out you like hoppy beers, Dogfishead is a very good beer for that too. Enjoy the world of brews and drink responsibly! :)

InfernoGirl 04-20-2010 06:46 PM

There are soooo many variables. Do as suggested and have a tasting at your local bar. If you don't like beer, you'll likely find the light beers suit you. Or maybe the fruity ones like Blue Moon. I rarely meet a beer I don't like, unless it's a wheat beer or a fruity one. But lots of folks love them. Pick up a mixed up 6 pack at the grocery and try them that way if you don't want to go to a bar. Invite a couple of friends over to drink the ones you don't like... :) Heck I'd be most happy if one of my friends said "hey, come over and drink all the beers I don't like" :)

chucky cheese 04-20-2010 07:00 PM

personally I drink any beer I come across. But if I was just getting into beer drinking I would start with Millerlite, Michelobe Ultra, Natural lite, just to get the beer taste going. Then I would step up to standards like Pabst, Bud, Michelobe ect. Then move on to other beers listed on this thread. All of them good and drinkable. My personal favorite is Heineken. One time I was in a german beergarden and told the tender " give me one that is like a Heineken" He blew a gasket and ranted it wasn't german and started flaying his arms and hollering. I think he was a nazi. Any way whatever advice you take , Enjoy.

jwm1986 04-20-2010 07:06 PM

Oh goodness... You're gonna get every beer in the book with this thread!

I like ambers/reds personally. Most of those titles have red or amber in the title...

Beer in a can usually doesn't taste the same as it does from a bottle (Better).

jerryj 04-20-2010 07:11 PM

I dont enjoy the beer I like the buzz.Ice cold Bud Light is real easy to drink the Bud Light Lime is tasty too.I'll take a stinky over a beer any day oh yeah take a nice 8 year Rum and a 1/2 a Pepsi thats the ticket.:punk:

My grouchier 1/2 named it

nick50471 04-20-2010 07:15 PM

My personal favorite is free cold beer followed closely by free beer then it would have to be any beer brought to me by my lovely wife or someone else's lovely wife or any woman.

frankenbury 04-20-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 603538)
Boulevard Wheat, Blue Moon, Kalik, LandShark Lager, Corona, Guinness, New Castle, etc. Hell, a starter beer for me is just the first 5 or so....... :D

MMMM. I love Boulevard. It's brewed in Kansas City but they ship all over. Look for it. ;)

frankenbury 04-20-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 603611)
My personal favorite is free cold beer followed closely by free beer then it would have to be any beer brought to me by my lovely wife or someone else's lovely wife or any woman.

x2. The best beer is definitely the free and cold kind. My neighbor has the coldest beer in the world. If I see him getting ready for a lake trip I always stop by to see if he wants to get rid of any weight before he takes off. :punk:

Storm27m 04-20-2010 09:17 PM

I think any of the popular light beers would make a good starter beer. Other than that, i'd have to say some sort of wheat beer. Shock Top, Blue Moon, etc.