Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   rubicon question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rubicon-question-49410.html)

FREDO 4X4 04-22-2010 10:42 PM

rubicon question

Hi everyone i been really thinking about buying a rubicon and i been told they come stock with a fixed yoke on the transfer case and a cv shaft in the rear. now the question is how high do i have to go in order to clear 35 inch tires and if i do that much of a suspension lift do i have to adjust the rear cv shaft or will it handle the lift.

If anyone is wondering why i am asking this its cause currently i am a jeep yj owner and i been saving money to swap out the dana 35 in the rear to a 8.8 buy lockers for front and back and do a spring over axle lift to get good articulation on my lift and this also means i need to buy a slip yoke elimantor kit and a cv shaft for the 8.8. But this to me is alot of work and money and time so i figured i should buy a rubicon which comes stock with everything i need plus a dana 44 bonus in the front.

Anyways it will be good to hear from you and sorry for being a newb.

4Jeepn 04-22-2010 10:47 PM

For 35's...give or take about 4-5" of lift. Don't forget to upgrade the steering. You may also need a new rear shaft at that lift size

cavediverjc 04-22-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREDO 4X4 (Post 605794)
Hi everyone i been really thinking about buying a rubicon and i been told they come stock with a fixed yoke on the transfer case and a cv shaft in the rear. now the question is how high do i have to go in order to clear 35 inch tires and if i do that much of a suspension lift do i have to adjust the rear cv shaft or will it handle the lift.

If anyone is wondering why i am asking this its cause currently i am a jeep yj owner and i been saving money to swap out the dana 35 in the rear to a 8.8 buy lockers for front and back and do a spring over axle lift to get good articulation on my lift and this also means i need to buy a slip yoke elimantor kit and a cv shaft for the 8.8. But this to me is alot of work and money and time so i figured i should buy a rubicon which comes stock with everything i need plus a dana 44 bonus in the front.

Anyways it will be good to hear from you and sorry for being a newb.

1. Never feel the need to apologize for being a newb. We were all newbs at one time.
2. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! :D
3. You'll probably need to replace the rear driveshaft with that amount of lift. The good news is that you won't have to add a SYE since the NP241 transfer case that Rubicons come with already have them. You can't go wrong with buying a Rubicon, in my opinion. They really are the best factory made Jeep out there. If you were planning on building a great big offroad bruiser, then you'd be better off buying an X model since you'd be replacing all of the suspension components anyway and they're much cheaper than a Rubicon.

MR.CLIFFORD 04-22-2010 11:18 PM

Get some high line fenders, trim the rear, install a budget boost and your 35s and you're good to go.

OME 2.5s and 35s.

http://www.rokmen.com/builds/l_tj/l_tj31.jpg

AzTJ 04-23-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 605824)

But that's an LJ that has been bobbed to a TJ length tub. :cool:

distortedtj 04-23-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 605894)
But that's an LJ that has been bobbed to a TJ length tub. :cool:

So he forgot to say stretch the rear. :D

03rubi 04-23-2010 09:54 PM

Rubicons have a flange on the back of the transfer case that the driveshaft bolts to. It dosen't come with a cv shaft from the factory but you can run the stock shaft upto about 4" of lift especially if you lower the transfer case a little, which most lift kits include. Some Rubicon owners have not installed the t-case lowering kit and not had any problems. I personally ran 35" tires with a Rubicon Express 3.5" short arm lift and a 1" body spacer and had only minor rubbing on the fender flares at full suspension compression. Hope this info is helpful.