Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Rubicon noob question... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rubicon-noob-question-49446.html)

Jp90Talon 04-23-2010 12:07 PM

Rubicon noob question...

Ok well I should be picking up my 05 Rubicon in the next few days and just wanted to make sure I understood this correctly.

I have searched on multiple forums and seen conflicting answers so I want to clarify. When lifting a Rubicon say around 3.5", do you have to worry about drive shaft angle? I have read in numerous threads that Rubicons came stock with a SYE. Now is this true? I just want to make sure I get this right the 1st time!

Thanks once again for the advice.

stevens243 04-23-2010 12:20 PM

Well, since there isn't a slip yolk on Rubi's there isn't (by definition) an eliminator.

You won't have a long trail shaft and you can lift a rubi beyond 6" without having driveline issues.

So, you'll have double carden joints and no gear for the speedo (tone ring instead).

Have fun with your new toy!

Jp90Talon 04-23-2010 12:47 PM

So I have an OME suspension that I plan on swapping over to the Rubi. I also have a set of JKS ACOS spaces and 1.75" spacers sitting in a box in my living room that I had purchased thinking they would ne needed to level off the Jeep due to the weight of the bumpers and winch ect. Can you think of any issues if I were to swap over the complete OME suspension as wel as add the ACOS spaces up front with the daystar 1.75" spacers in the rear?

Also while I have this discussion going, does this mean that I can instal an ultra high clearance/belly up tcase skid without having issues. Reason I ask is that most sites that sell them state that an SYE kit and custom drive shaft are required to install the kids.

God I hate being a noob

Schmo 04-23-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 606229)
Ok well I should be picking up my 05 Rubicon in the next few days and just wanted to make sure I understood this correctly.

I have searched on multiple forums and seen conflicting answers so I want to clarify. When lifting a Rubicon say around 3.5", do you have to worry about drive shaft angle? I have read in numerous threads that Rubicons came stock with a SYE. Now is this true? I just want to make sure I get this right the 1st time!

Thanks once again for the advice.

Unless it's a LJ . . . you'll pretty much need to do everything you would need to do on a standard TJ except for the SYE. As mentioned the Rubi doesn't have a Slip Yoke, but you'll still want to get a CV DS, UCAs to change the pinyon angle, CV trackbar bracket, etc to do it right at that hieght. The LJs can get away with a taller lift without some of the changes and avoid vibes due to the longer driveshaft.

Jp90Talon 04-23-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 606287)
Unless it's a LJ . . . you'll pretty much need to do everything you would need to do on a standard TJ except for the SYE. As mentioned the Rubi doesn't have a Slip Yoke, but you'll still want to get a CV DS, UCAs to change the pinyon angle, CV trackbar bracket, etc to do it right at that hieght. The LJs can get away with a taller lift without some of the vibes due to the longer driveshaft.

Its an LJ :punk:

Schmo 04-23-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 606289)
Its an LJ :punk:

That really helps . . . no matter what you do, you'll want to keep an eye on the angles, but the LJ's longer DS helps and you might be able to get away with the stock driveshaft depending on how high your combo of spacers and springs puts you at. Study the information on Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts website and check your angles to see if they stay where they need to be.