Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Dana 35 Spider gears (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/dana-35-spider-gears-49555.html)

lodmccloud 04-25-2010 10:46 AM

Dana 35 Spider gears

I have a 98 wrangler with factory posi, the spider gears are a little chewed up and click bad when I turn under power. The only replacements I can find are very expensive and come with axle gears and clutches.

I am looking for info if the Dana 30/35 spidergears will work in the posi case. They look the same, but I know looks can be totally wrong. I do not need axle gears or clutches they work fins and the axle gears are in perfect working order.
I could buy a used set if anyone has replaced a rear axle or broke a ring and pinion anything. If anyone knows where I could buy just the spider gears I would be greatly appreciative.

lodmccloud 04-26-2010 06:47 AM

bump

GroundHawg 04-26-2010 07:21 AM

dana 30 spiders won't work. i wouldn't advise you to replace your old spiders with a locker either. locking a rear D35 is asking for problems.

you've got a couple options. search the boneyards for a D35 and take it's spiders. go for the posi-locks since that's what you have.

if you've got some change, upgrade to a D44 rear. Explorer 8.8 axles are cheap, but require some modifications.

you could purchase a Dana 35 Super Kit and seriously beef up that rear.

but my advice? if i were you, call around to all the 4x4 shops ans axle shops near you. i'm positive someone has your spidergears just sitting around collecting dust from people upgrading. they'll be cheap...possibly even free.

4Jeepn 04-26-2010 07:24 AM

when you say posi I will guess you mean the factory trac-lock? If so that's going to be the more expensive set. You might be able to find a complete dana 35 axle for the asking price of a new set of gears. As stated call a few 4c4 shops and see what they have sitting around.

GroundHawg 04-26-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 608511)
when you say posi I will guess you mean the factory trac-lock? If so that's going to be the more expensive set. You might be able to find a complete dana 35 axle for the asking price of a new set of gears. As stated call a few 4c4 shops and see what they have sitting around.

you're correct. trac-loc is posi. i think the OP is finding axle kits and/or tru-trac and vari-lock LSD systems when all he/she wants is just some spiders for the old system.

nice avatar:punk:

lodmccloud 04-26-2010 01:19 PM

yeah I just want a set of spider gears for the factory posi set up. I can get a rebuild kit for 155 on ebay might have to go that way then I will want to rebuild the posi unit.

GroundHawg 04-26-2010 01:39 PM

if your going to rebuild the whole unit, you should upgrade to a tru-trac system. it's gear driven so no messing with those clutches. the tru-trac system is about double the cost of a trac-loc...but it performs much better and never needs replaced.

i'd still call around for some spiders, but if you still want to build your axles with trac-loc this is a nice write up.

Randy's Ring & Pinion.

lodmccloud 04-26-2010 03:58 PM

It has 151K on the clock and it still pulls both wheels when I get it stuck evn on hard turns the clutches are still tight. I could understand if they wore out every twenty thousand miles but 151 is way more then I will put on it before I have to crush the whole jeep. I bought this jeep for my gf to putter around in with the top off. I just want it to be capable in the snow or if I can manage to get it off road one day.

GroundHawg 04-26-2010 04:12 PM

sounds good. i'd probably do the same in your situation. good luck to you!